Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Steering Wheel

Options
  • 09-04-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hopping complex. Man injured in Roxboro shooting attack

BREAKING NEWS

Gardai are at the scene of a shooting incident which occurred on the southside of Limerick City this morning.

It’s understood a man received a gunshot wound to his upper body at the Roxboro shopping complex. A number of shots were fired in the attack which occured at an arcade complex next to the Steering wheel pub around midday.
    The victim, believed to be in his 30’s, has been taken to the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Dooradoyle however his current condition is not known.
    A car used in the attack has been found burnt out by officers in the Weston area of the city in the last 30 minutes.
    The scene of the shooting has been sealed off for technical examination by investigating Gardai this lunchtime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just pronounced dead in the Regional..... RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

Mr E wrote: »
    Just pronounced dead in the Regional..... RIP.
    that is so sickening, its ok when these dirty scum are shooting themselves, no pun intended, but looks like another innocent person is gunned down, said on the news he is related to the owners of brannigans, do the family own collins in dooradoyle too?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Another sad day for the town.

two have been arrested: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0409/limerick.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Do Wan

that is so sickening, its ok when these dirty scum are shooting themselves, no pun intended, but looks like another innocent person is gunned down, said on the news he is related to the owners of brannigans, do the family own collins in dooradoyle too?
    yip, they are the Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

this is so wrong

• Advertisement

the father, was only up to recently under armed guard like philip treacy has on his bread rounds .

no respect for life,its a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

The second name is Collins but its not them (ie Collins in Dooradoyle). Dundons suspected of ordering the hit because they could not get served there (specualtion). And its not the father under police protection it was his brother. He testified against one of the Dundons a couple years ago after he was shot while working in the Pike Inn (Brannigans).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

so really this all stemmed from the 14 year old not being served, why are they doing this?, like what are they going to get out of it, i can understand them blowing the heads off each other over drugs and money and being on each others patches (yea right), but gunning this lad down over abit of a grievence, where does this end, those dundons should be executed and that would be too good for them

they're basically sending out a message, scaring others from daring to testify against them. testify and even though we mighnt get you, we'll get a family member. its shocking scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Taken from The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...244364056.html

Gardaí investigate if murder linked to court case
    CONOR LALLY and KATHRYN HAYES
    GARDAÍ ARE investigating if the shooting dead of 35-year-old businessman Roy Collins in Limerick city yesterday may be linked to threats made against his family four years ago when his cousin gave evidence in court against a leading McCarthy-Dundon gang member.
    Two men, aged 19 and 22, were last night being questioned about the murder. One of the men is a key suspect in the investigation into the mistaken identity murder of rugby player Shane Geoghegan in Limerick last November.
    Mr Collins, whose father Steve Collins owns a number of Limerick pubs, was shot in the back just after midday in the Coin Castle Jackpot arcade in Roxboro Shopping Centre in the city.
    The arcade is next door to the Steering Wheel Pub, which is owned by the Collins family, and is across the road from Roxboro Garda station.
    A masked gunman and an accomplice walked into the arcade and shot Mr Collins in the back with a handgun as customers looked on. The bullet exited the victim’s chest.
    Mr Collins was rushed to the Mid-Western Regional Hospital and was at first expected to survive. He was the father of two girls, Shannon (12) and Charlie (7).
    Mr Collins’s first cousin is Ryan Lee. The men were reared as brothers after Mr Collins’s father, Steve, became Ryan Lee’s legal guardian many years ago.
    Mr Lee was shot in the family pub, Brannigan’s Bar, in 2005 after he refused to serve the 14-year-old sister of leading Limerick gang figure Wayne Dundon.
    Mr Lee gave evidence against Wayne Dundon, who was jailed in 2005 for his threats to Mr Lee’s life.
    During the trial Mr Collins received an anonymous letter threatening his staff and family and reminding him of all of the other victims of gun violence in the city.
    Brannigan’s Bar was burned down a month after Dundon’s conviction and Mr Lee and the Collins family were given Garda protection. Gardaí are now investigating if the threats from that time are linked to yesterday’s murder.
    A team of local detectives and officers from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation have been assembled under Assistant Commissioner Kevin Ludlow to investigate yesterday’s murder. A Mercedes getaway car was found partially burned out in Rosbrien. Two shotguns were recovered last night, but neither was the murder weapon.
    Mr Collins was from Monaleen, Limerick, but was living in Killaloe, Co Clare.
    The mayor of Limerick city, John Gilligan, said the killers were “animals”.
    “These people have stepped outside the bounds of humanity killing anyone that gets in their way. They will have to be taken out of society and if the gardaí need more resources to do this then the Minister for Justice will just have to supply them.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭VO

When are the politicians in this country going to start giving proper protection to it's citizens. These peole need to be locked up and the keys thrown away. I am sick to the teeth seeing Judges handing down lenient sentencess to scum who rob, rape and murder. We have blleding heart liberals lecturing us constantly about "Prisoners Rights" , bad upbringing etc etc. We constantly listen to cases being taken to the Garda Ombudsman becuase criminals are being "abused"!! by our Gardai. The little scumbag who murdered the young Garda in Donegal in a stolen car is out on bail? What the f**k is wrong with we Irish? We put up with this **** and nothing changes.

We have politicians writing letters pleading for leneiency for murderers, rapists etc (If I am not wrong Willie O Dea was one of them)

It is time that these people were taken off the streets by whatever means is necessary. We should immediately introduce a Zero Tolerance & a 3 strikes and your out system similar to what they have in parts of the USA.

Also Prison should be a punishment not a f**king holiday camp with Gyms, TVs, Mobile phones etc . Punish these scumbags properly.

Build bigger prisons and fill tme immediately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

VO wrote: »
    When are the politicians in this country going to start giving proper protection to it's citizens. These peole need to be locked up and the keys thrown away. I am sick to the teeth seeing Judges handing down lenient sentencess to scum who rob, rape and murder. We have blleding heart liberals lecturing us constantly about "Prisoners Rights" , bad upbringing etc etc. We constantly listen to cases being taken to the Garda Ombudsman becuase criminals are being "abused"!! by our Gardai. The little scumbag who murdered the young Garda in Donegal in a stolen car is out on bail? What the f**k is wrong with we Irish? We put up with this **** and nothing changes.

We have politicians writing letters pleading for leneiency for murderers, rapists etc (If I am not wrong Willie O Dea was one of them)

It is time that these people were taken off the streets by whatever means is necessary. We should immediately introduce a Zero Tolerance & a 3 strikes and your out system similar to what they have in parts of the USA.

Also Prison should be a punishment not a f**king holiday camp with Gyms, TVs, Mobile phones etc . Punish these scumbags properly.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

We need to lock the scumbags away for 30, 40 years or more. Make them work for their keep aswell like they do in the states. We need to scare them, not send them on a trip to see their brothers and friends for a few months and then off home again. Scumbgs like this are ruining our larger cities and towns.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I agree, lets give the construction insustry some work. Bigger and more prisons.
    I think there has to be more to this story. They went to all the trouble of murdering someone in view of a garda station because of the thing with the sister not getting served. That seems a bit extreme even for them.
    I still think the only way to solve this problem is a secret meeting and organisation of some undercover group of our highest trained detectives, to go into there houses, in the middle of the night, incognito, and kill all the heads in there sleep. Tell the media it was gang related and the only ones that lose are the crime families. problem solved. Its extreme and probably has to do with those movies i was watching last night but i think it would work a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I agree, lets give the construction insustry some work. Bigger and more prisons.
    I think there has to be more to this story. They went to all the trouble of murdering someone in view of a garda station because of the thing with the sister not getting served. That seems a bit extreme even for them.
    I still think the only way to solve this problem is a secret meeting and organisation of some undercover group of our highest trained detectives, to go into there houses, in the middle of the night, incognito, and kill all the heads in there sleep. Tell the media it was gang related and the only ones that lose are the crime families. problem solved. Its extreme and probably has to do with those movies i was watching last night but i think it would work a treat.

You're right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Wetbench4 wrote: »

that would be against there " Human Rights" which would lead to huge harrasment claims by the families costing the tax payers millions....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Shot him in the back.....cowardly animals. Where is it going to end? Hopefully with zero tolerance and longer prision sentences. Justice in this country just stinks to the high heavens at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BluntByName

+1 on VO's post.

Things will get worst, how many more innocent people will have to be maimed or killed before this problem will be resolved.
    Problem that I can see is with the Judges giving minimum and supended terms. Has to heart breaking all the work the guards put in only to be flushed down the pan by nervous judges. Laws need to be changed to protect the victims and not the criminals of this fair city. Gov have better things to be doing buying the banks and developers out of bad debt they caused to this country than protecting the people of the state. All that the FF & Greens will do is take your tax while the criminals out on bail will take your property and life.
    How far must we be pushed before we push back, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

what i can see happening here very very soon is that a group of men are just gonna decide yep thats it and they'll take the law into their own hands and decide to clean up the placein one quick sweep it'd be absolutely brilliant.If it happened we'd have a party the size of the Heineken Cup in 06

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

It scares me but i was thinking the exact same as Iang you could see someone having a fallling down monent and just going postal on any feud related party they could get their hands on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

this is what happens when you let scumbags get out of control. What is happening is that people have ignored this problem and not dealt with it for a long time. in Ireland people are afraid and live in fear of criminal elements and treat it like a spoilt child. 10 year sentences for murder? and sometimes less due to 'overcrowding'. We have cowards running this country.

In the rest of the world they tackle it head on with a show of force like in the usa, even china or middle eastern countries will not even tolerate robberies lightly. People get off with murder in this country for what people in those countries would get 10 - 15 years for robberies alone. In the usa murder is murder and gets a life sentence. In saudi arabia anyone commiting murder will get beheaded.
    Now if you turn around to a scumbag and say guess what if you commit murder you will only get 10 years and a lot of the time less due to other circumstances guess what the scumbag will say ...im free to go out kill anyone i want nobody can stop me. These people are now killing innocent people because they don't fear the reprecussions. They are free to walk into any pub, public place and open fire on anyone who disagree's with them because they know more then likely they will (A) Get away with it (B) get a very light sentence. When was the last time anyone got life for these kinds of murders here? I can't even remember.

Everyone thought it was ok as long as they were killing each other now they are targeting innocent people. The regeneration agencies solution is now to move these people out of these areas and into surburban areas to 'disperse the problem' because they themselves live in fear as they were being shot at. That is turning other areas into dumps too i.e casteltroy, raheen and they are failing to tackle this problem. We need to set up S.W.A.T teams like in the usa to go out and actively tackle this problem and then hand down life sentences to 'anyone' associated with these people involved in anyway with this problem. Barring that we need to just 'take them out'. Do you know that criminals get setanta sports in their prison cells. Thats how mad and politically correct this country is. Hey they have it easy in this country. Covert surveillance is the governments new solution to the problem.

What diffence will that make? Its not covert surveillance you need which will no doubt knowing this governments actions by used against the average joe soap but harder sentencing and a show of policing strength as well as a willingness to do 'whatever is necessary' to deal with the problem.

It seems as if if you intemidate people in this country fire a few shots at their house they cave in very easily to your demands.

You don't go around 'covertly surveilling' criminal elements. You tackle them head on with a huge amount of force to show them who's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

we need a batman. I'm not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The Assistant Garda Commissioner has reassured the people of Limerick that gardaí will 'face down ruthless gangs'.

The Assistant Garda Commissioner has reassured the people of Limerick that gardaí will 'face down ruthless gangs and win the battle against criminal elements in the city'.

Kevin Ludlow was speaking to the media in Limerick this morning, two days after the murder of Roy Collins in Roxboro.

Asst Commissioner Ludlow said Gardai were 'heartened' by the support they have recevied from the people in Limerick in their investigation into the crime.

Two men remain in custody this afternoon, and gardaí are seeking an extension of their detention period.

Asst Commisioner Ludlow expressed sympathy with the Collins family on their tragic loss.

He said over 90 gardaí are now involved in the investigation, including gardaí from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation and gardai from Cork and Kerry.

Well I'm reassured. :rolleyes:

Wow the garda assistant commisioner has reassured us they will face down and win the battle against ruthless gangs. Theres an old saying most of us are familiar with 'actions speak louder then words' and the its the same old words coming from gardai hq. We've heard this all before

Correct me if im wrong but isn't facing down and winning battles against ruthless gangs what the police are supposed to do? I mean thats what they do in all countries in the world. What do they think we should be grateful to them for doing it? Thats your freakin job buddy.

Its like a bartender coming out saying ' i would like to reassure people i will be serving drinks at the bar tonight' This is the same ole same rhetoric from the justice department. Too Little, too late and not good enough. You need 90 gardai to investigate a single murder? What happens if you get 2 or 3 murders on the same day. Come off it we all know who these people are and the garda know damn well who they are too. This is just not good enough. This stuff has been going on for two long in limerick and its time to put an end to it.

I want to see reform of our justice system immeadiately with convictions, automatic life sentences for murderers, S.W.A.T teams set up to go and 'take out' certain elements causing trouble and similiar laws brought in like '3 strikes and your out' for petty scumbags who reoffend and laugh their way out of our courts and at the garda. We should also be implementing Rico style laws used to great effect in the states to combat organised and low level scumbag crime. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What is scary is the fact that one of the two guys being held at the moment for the latest shooting is out on the streets after having been brought in for the Geoghan murder and his file was sent to the DPP pending investigation.

So while they are waiting for his file to come across some desk, he is now possibly involved in another murder. No wonder this type have no fear of the legal system. It seems you have more chance of ending up in prison for defaulting on your car loan than for trying to kill someone or actually killing someone.

Maybe Minister O'Dea should be made to publicly explain his part in Wayne Dundon's ten year sentence being reduced, seeing as that sentence is for a shooting that looks to have led to this latest murder. Minister O'Dea has already said in the press and on the radio that his office sent in a letter of character reference for Dundon, and Dundon's sentence was reduced after this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

realismpol wrote: »
    S.W.A.T teams set up to go and 'take out' certain elements causing trouble

You have no idea what S.W.A.T. teams are supposed to do, have you? :rolleyes:

Special weapons and tactics. Deal with armed criminals who threaten the public peace. S.w.a.t's mandate falls into the category of dealing with situations outside the normal abilities of police officers in the united states. Given our police officers do not routinely carry firearms they are justified in this case to deal with criminals who do carry automatic pistols and long barrelled weapons around with them. Normally you wouldn't confront an armed criminal with an unarmed police officer, you know?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

realismpol wrote: »
    Special weapons and tactics. Deal with armed criminals who threaten the public peace. Don't tell me what i know and don't know.

You keep mentioning them as if they're James Bond-style assassins, it's like you expect them to raid and kill without warning. Sounds to me like you don't understand their role at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

One thing the ordinary people can do to slowly get the ball rolling for change, is use their votes in the upcoming general election and again when the general election rolls around.

The Gardai could, imho, do more, and by that I mean they could make life that bit more difficult for scum by doing randon searches in the street, and moving on groups in town/estates that look dodgy, if scum feel they are being watched then should be less likely to do something at that time.

But the Gardai do have their hands tied by the current laws, and do see a lot of their hard work wasted by a legal system that often panders to criminals.

The current government has huffed and puffed many times during it's last few terms about bringing in thses chnages, and again after the Simon Geoghan murder they promised they would be fast tracking new laws in for immediate effect. All it was, was sound bytes.

Sound when it comes to your time to go to a ballot box, just remember the guys who made promises and never came through. If you are happy to see more of these murders around the country, then just vote the same faces back in, and be happy when the same things keep happening.

• Advertisement

Im not on here debating the finer points about s.w.a.t teams with an individual such as yourself. Im debating the shortcomings of our justice system in general whereas your focusing in on what you believe to be your superior knowledge of special weapons and tactics.

You keep mentioning them as if they're James Bond-style assassins, it's like you expect them to raid and kill without warning. Sounds to me like you don't understand their role at all.

As opposed to what? the way that they randomly target members of the public who go against them and just walk into a pub across from a garda station and kill people. Or should we just let them wreak more havoc? Your assuming a lot with your james bond statement. Im saying s.w.a.t teams should be set up to go out and deal with these criminals using 'whatever methods neccessary'. If these people are carrying firearms around which are illegal in this country as you probably already know then they are not using them to play music with. These are not law abiding average members of the public we are talking about. These people live for crime/murder whatever else sinister deeds they can get up to. And its time to put a stop to it.

If s.w.a.t team members were to go and deal with these people they already know who they are and their record. And as you will have seen recently they are prepared to shoot and kill members of an garda siochana so that means they have to be taken out in most cases. Grow up and put your wang away for a second, these are hardened criminals who commit murder for fun here not unruley teenagers we are dealing with. Most if not all of them have a rap sheet a mile long which in most other countries would mean either life imprisonment or death by now. How s.w.a.t teams deal with them is their prorogative under doj rules. They don't get all dressed up to go to the party for no reason you know.

Advertisement