Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples Photography 2009

• 09-04-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Does anybody know, is the exhibition going to be organised this year? So far no information on peoples-photography.com whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

The previous organisers have stepped down. I will ask at Drogheda Camera Club tonight if they have heard anything about it for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kuroino

Any news on that, Darren?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AFAIK it is going ahead. Heard it mentioned at the Navan Camera Club a few weeks back. They were talking about booking a section for the members but I didn't get too much detail.

Any news, guys?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I sure hope it continues as it's a really good event.

I have been asking people at DCC, but no information yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

CabanSail wrote: »
    I sure hope it continues as it's a really good event.
    I wonder how much organisation is involved? Could the "people" organise it themselves?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

iampixie wrote: »
    I wonder how much organisation is involved? Could the "people" organise it themselves?

"Sponsored by Pix.ie" ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Cabaal wrote: »
    "Sponsored by Pix.ie" ;)
    :D
    Let's not jump the gun... :P but we could certainly "help"...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If nothing has been started already it needs to start soon.

I would suggest a small group made up of representitives of Camera Clubs & groups that ussually have a large involvement in People's Photography. What needs to be avoided is any one group taking ownership of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CabanSail wrote: »
    What needs to be avoided is any one group taking ownership of the event.

Agreed, otherwise its just going to be a club only event or some crap like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

There is a meeting arranged for this Thursday in The DCC @ 8.00pm regarding the organisation of this years event, I recieved a mail about it last week and myself and another member of Offshoot CC will be attending!

Text of Mail:

Hello

Just a quick but important note about Peoples Photography 2009 and beyond. A meeting will take place at 8:00 pm in the Dublin Camera Club premises on Camden street on Thursday the 14th May 2009. This meeting is being held to get more/new people involved in the organisation of this event for 2009 ++++. Myself and Eddie Mallin have been running this event for a good few years and wish to hand over to others(for our sake and for the sake of Peoples Photography). So if you are interested in Peoples Photography please come along.

If you wish to have your name removed from this mailing list please let me know and your wish will come true.

Brian Mc Keown

Just looking at the list of ppl the mail went to and have no idea how I got on the list!

Going to try to get along to this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Is it just a meeting for DCC?

Looks like I can answer my own question, I just got the same email. I'd guess they must be emailing everyone who took part last year or who have applied to take part this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I should be there :)

An update. Last night there was a good turnout for the meeting, about 15 there (though I did not count). So it looks like People's Photography is going ahead. Eddie & Brian have done a fantastic job over the years & brought this event back from close to extinction to the success it is now. They are not going to leave entirely this year but will definitely be taking a back seat while they hand over to a new crowd.

So, does anybody know, what is the time frame for applying for places in the exhibition and how to apply? Thanks

go up to the website http://www.peoples-photography.com/ download the form and send it in. The website and form both say 2008 but from what I could gather at the meeting the details should remain the same and just the dates will change. I sent in one last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

HAA Haa , just went to the peoples photo website and realised I am one of the people captured Tango dancing outside Eriks display !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

guys ive not been involved in anything like this before and im not in any camera club. is it alright to download last years form and send it off to the same address with a cheque for 15euor? oh yeah, any word on the exact dates?
    thanks

guys ive not been involved in anything like this before and im not in any camera club. is it alright to download last years form and send it off to the same address with a cheque for 15euor? oh yeah, any word on the exact dates?
    thanks

You do not have to be involved in any organisation for People's Photograpgy. The hint is in the name.

It's traditionally on the last weekend of August, this is unlikely to change.

There is a group being formed to organise the 2009 event. I would suspect that the details will stay the same, but that is not set in stone yet. Personally I would keep an eye on the website & apply when the details are updated. There will not be any advantage in getting in before then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Simplicius wrote: »
    HAA Haa , just went to the peoples photo website and realised I am one of the people captured Tango dancing outside Eriks display !!

You're in this one of mine too!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter1892/2179293740/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

can anyone tell me a bit more/is there any kind of faq? I've never done an exhibit before but would like to try one and this would be ideal?

presume you sell pictures on the day?
    Do you have a large stock of photos with you? How do you judge how many to bring- e.g. I could print off 200 and only sell 5....
    any info on pitch size?
    amount of photos to display- any guide or as many little/many as you want?
    any framing rules etc?
    any pricing guidelines?
    anthing else?

Cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

technically your not ment to sell as you dont have a street traders license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Its not really about selling pictures, I did it last year and did not sell one, I did a set of Food Pictures and was delighted with the response I got, have a few themes in my head for this year but have not decided yet.

Pitch size and framing guides should be on the website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

So are they open now to take application forms and it is sent to the same people as before of the dublin Camera Club? Id did it the last couple of years and I got no E-mail to inform me of anything?

dinneenp wrote: »
    presume you sell pictures on the day?

Some do, most don't. If you do sell an image it's a bonus, but it's not the aim of the weekend.
    Do you have a large stock of photos with you? How do you judge how many to bring- e.g. I could print off 200 and only sell 5....

If you sold 5 you would be doing better than most there.
    any info on pitch size?

I think it's about 10 feet of rail each.
    amount of photos to display- any guide or as many little/many as you want?
    any framing rules etc?
    any pricing guidelines?

All of this is up to you. If you do a search on threads which were run for previous years then there are a lot of good tips in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

So if you're not selling pics what exactly is the purpose then?
    Is it kind of a 'happy vibe' gathering, do people wander, view pictures and tell the photographer "I like your photo" etc.?

Surely there has to be something more to it or am I wrong?

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

It's an Exhibition. You showcase your work & share it.

As this is a Family Forum I will not discuss the Groupies on the Saturday Night ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

lol..

Nope - its just a good buzz and getting your photos properly printed and mounted so you have a good stock of christmas pressies, and if you're lucky (or your name is Darren or Kyle) you sell stuff. Although I still maintain that that was just because my own work in the middle of theirs was too dazzling...

Speaking of framing etc.

We've participated in it twice. We were hanging A4-size photos quite dense (8-10 per half place). Too dense. Mounted, but without frames (passepartout only). Some of us sold 1 print for 15-30 euro, but most of us did not.

Based on that limited experience, here is what I think about framing etc. for myself now:

1. Print A3 or similar size

2. If you are not sure, use both mats and frames. That will make the framed prints almost A2 in size.

3. Hang no more than 8 works per place with a distance between them.

4. Bring a bit more works, than you are planning to hang. This is not because you could sell anything (the chances of that are low), but because you may want to rotate your exhibition from time to time.

5. Ideally use one or two thematically and/or visually coordinated series of pictures rather than a random selection from everything you ever made.

Other matter:

Couple of days ago I've sent an email to peoples.photography@gmail.com asking to confirm that we can use the previous year's application form and that the cost of participation is the same and so on. No response yet.

There will probably NOT be a response until the new organising committee is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

FYI

Peoples Photography 2009 will take place on Sat 29th & Sun 30th August 2009.
    The website hasn't been up yet, but an advance application form is being sent out to previous exhibitors.
    Last year was great craic, and I hope this year is just as much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Let us know when you get the form, I have no idea what email address I used last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

can anyone submit photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

can anyone submit photos?

You don't submit photos - you take a space and sit there yourself and try to sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Paulw wrote: »
    You don't submit photos - you take a space and sit there yourself and try to sell them.

oooh ok.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

Thanks Mods for moving my post, I didn't see this other thread.

Having everyone together last year was good fun. Let's hope we can get places together this year too. The form is going to be a .pdf. is it possible to post such files on boards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Post it up on justsendit.com and anyone that wants to download it then can do it from there once the link is posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Koyasan wrote: »
    Thanks Mods for moving my post, I didn't see this other thread.

Having everyone together last year was good fun. Let's hope we can get places together this year too. The form is going to be a .pdf. is it possible to post such files on boards?

you could also provide it as an attachment to a post on thread here - click the advanced button to find the attachment options.

The web site is still not up to date. I am curious if organisers need any help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Has anyone received any updates about this?

There's only 2 months to go so I would have expected the site to be up and running by now.

Some time ago I've received an email from the organisers with the application form attached to it and we have sent the completed forms together with the cheque. I have not received any confirmation of the organisers receiving the application since then though. I am not sure what is happening.

Does anybody have any more up to date information?

There was another meeting on Monday to help get things running again and to hand over the organization to new peoples. Unfortunately only 4 of us could make it on the night so the meeting has been rescheduled to Thursday. There is a new website but just waiting for all involved to approve it.

Lots of applications have already been received so the exhibition will go ahead this year as normal. Hopefully Thursday meeting will be more successful and plans can be put in place for future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lukaty

decsramble wrote: »
    Lots of applications have already been received so the exhibition will go ahead this year as normal. Hopefully Thursday meeting will be more successful and plans can be put in place for future years.

Are these applications the same as last year? Can I download this http://www.peoples-photography.com/To_Take_Part/App_Form_June_2008.pdf and send it with check?

Since the website hasn't been updated I'm sure the 2008 form will do. People who exhibited last year were emailed a 2009 form but it's not onlne yet.

Hey Guys,
    Their seems to be a lot of confusion about this years peoples photography. It's all gravey baby. Taking place on the 29th and 30th of August. For more information you can check out my blog.

I am after securing a few places for the boardsies and want to get this sorted asap. If people who are interested post here and I shall PM you from there.

Kyle :)

More info here and here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Sounds good ,put my name down..

• Advertisement
Advertisement