Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples Photography 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Due to unforeseen circumstances I will be unable to do this and am offering my place FOC to the first boards.ie user who sends me a pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Due to unforeseen circumstances I will be unable to do this and am offering my place FOC to the first boards.ie user who sends me a pm!

PM'ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hey y'all,

Haven't been on here for a while, but now getting organised for PP. looking forward to meeting you all there, and thanks Kyle for sorting the bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

oo Kyle gets two... :p

I still haven't even thought about what I'm putting in. Steve'll either kill or ignore me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

things are starting to get busy now

so if you need me to do stuff, please give me it sooner rather than later :)

I'll be on to you tomorrow Steve. Need mounts for an exhibition either way :)

<hopes someone/thing will remind her to actually look at her shots and email Steve tomorrow>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just got two great prints done over with Dave OS!!

Now to figure out everything I want printed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks, they are nice. Great photos too. Interesting to see how they will look on your monitors. Do they match the prints? It would give a good indication if any tweaking needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

jaysus lads, all this talk of professional quality printing etc... i was planning on getting 10 a4 frames in ikia at 2.99 each and sending 10 images to photobox to be printed a4 size???

jaysus lads, all this talk of professional quality printing etc... i was planning on getting 10 a4 frames in ikia at 2.99 each and sending 10 images to photobox to be printed a4 size???

I did that the first year!! There's lots of people who just do 10-20 6x4" shots. It's each to their own tbh, I'm getting them printed properly as I personally want those shots and this gives me an excuse to get them done. *If I sell even one photo, it's a bonus, I'm not there to sell.

The main reason I do the peoples photography is to talk to good folk like yourself PN!!

(Don't let other people idea's/stupid prints put you off, I was quite nervous my first year!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

I just did something similar, sent off a bunch of A4 prints, reused some mounts from last year. It still looks good but it's not going to break the bank. Everyone can do their own thing but personally I wouldn't spend a fortune either. No one should go into the weekend expecting to make a profit since most people wont sell any photos.

Gutted I cant do it, I had a special T-Shirt ordered to wear on the day and all, trooney is going to take my place and I hope to get in for an hour or two to see your work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

how big is each spot again ? .... and roughly how many pics (mounted/unmounted/framed) .... would I need ?

I understand its best to have extra to swap around - to keep things lively and keep it fresh.

at the moment I have it narrowed to about 30images - gonna use mainly stuff from concerts - to get peoples attention.

I walked around the exhibit last year - it took me about 2hours as I was talking to some of the photographers.

2 things that I learned from talking to people last year - bring a seat, bring a book.

if anyone has any advice on how many prints I can fit in the space - I'm thinking some fairly large (16x12 or 24x16) and a selection of A4.

Ps. I'm not happy with any of the pics I'll be putting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Gutted I cant do it, I had a special T-Shirt ordered to wear on the day and all, trooney is going to take my place and I hope to get in for an hour or two to see your work!

any chance we can see the T-shirt ? or will it be kept for another year.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    how big is each spot again ? .... and roughly how many pics (mounted/unmounted/framed) .... would I need ?

I understand its best to have extra to swap around - to keep things lively and keep it fresh.

at the moment I have it narrowed to about 30images - gonna use mainly stuff from concerts - to get peoples attention.

I walked around the exhibit last year - it took me about 2hours as I was talking to some of the photographers.

2 things that I learned from talking to people last year - bring a seat, bring a book.

if anyone has any advice on how many prints I can fit in the space - I'm thinking some fairly large (16x12 or 24x16) and a selection of A4.

Ps. I'm not happy with any of the pics I'll be putting up.

About 8 feet by 5. How many pictures you hang is a matter of choice but I had 20 A4 last year. I suppose it's a matter of choice some will say thats too many. I view it as the upper limit, I noticed people get bored looking at too many photos. I'll display 20 or less so I'm printed around 23 or 24 and will swap around but will decide exactly how many once I figure out how to hang them.

Bring a seat and a book. Where is your spot? Are you with the boards group? Some spots are quieter than others. Last year I had someone to replace me for lunch and bring me coffee but the day went pretty fast, I was lucky to have great people around me and just passed the time talking and sharing advice so I didnt read much of my book at all.

I'll only be displaying 10 or so. I'm getting them done properly because like Kyle they're for me. I don't really plan on selling any - most of mine will probably be portraits anyway and who wants to buy a portrait of someone you don't know? I'll be using it as an excuse to print, and as a chance to share shots and have a natter, which is the whole point of it anyway :D

PCPhoto wrote: »
    any chance we can see the T-shirt ? or will it be kept for another year.

I don't have to wear the t-shirt do I? :p

Apart from framing/mounting/numbers displayed, how do people attach their displays to the railings? Do you attach each one individually or stick em all on a board and attach the board or other methods? Plastic sheeting in case of rain?
    Is it advisable to get there early or does that not really matter as a space is prebooked for you?

trooney wrote: »

Apart from framing/mounting/numbers displayed, how do people attach their displays to the railings? Do you attach each one individually or stick em all on a board and attach the board or other methods? Plastic sheeting in case of rain?
    Is it advisable to get there early or does that not really matter as a space is prebooked for you?

The t-shirt can be viewed on http://www.philosophyfootball.com/ click on the football section and you will see it, I got three boards cut last year, covered them in black material, and attached my mounted prints to them using velco tape, two hooks in the back of each and attached to the railings using cable ties! Was set up in 3 mins and all went into boot of my dads car in another 3 mins! The guy next to me and shep spent half the day getting his up and the other half taking them down but am sure he had fun!

Boards are available if any of you would like to borrow!

trooney wrote: »

It is important to get there on time as your space may be given away if you're not there on time/haven't contacted organisers.

Last year I used portfolio plastic covers with cable ties and some garden netting from woodies/diy shop. + a plastic cover to cover everything in the case of it raining.

Here's a quick shot of my setup and one other from last year:

peps_hangup_DSC02168.jpg

Hope that helps a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

This is my setup from last year:

2818964626_db476b7372.jpg

The prints were mostly 5X7 inch, mounted and stuck on to the rails with blu-tac. I had a clear plastic sheet over the top that could be pulled down if it rained, it only rained a little bit over the weekend though. I also put some bin-liners behind the space to stop the bushes from protruding.

Overall the weekend is good fun & it goes by really quickly.

Cheers guys. Like the idea of the plastic netting.

quick question guys... wheres quickest and cheapest place on line
    to get A4 prints done guaranteed by next week

Why not head to Aaaarvey normans, they do it while you wait?

quick question guys... wheres quickest and cheapest place on line
    to get A4 prints done guaranteed by next week

Depends on quality ;)

I've used foto.com and got prints in less than a week but I'd send some tomorrow at the latest if I was you. There are people here who provide print services who can probably get you high quality prints quickly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Looks like I'll be taking my space after all. Canon are giving me a printer tomorrow. It only does 6"x4" prints but I think that's gonna be grand as I have an idea for a display that'll work with the photos that size. So instead of having each photo representing itself by being done to a proper size and mounted in a professional manner it might be fun for me to set up my space as an installation in itself.
    It's not being arty, it's being cheap and making best do with what one has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Looking forward to seeing that HK, sounds intriguing.

Can't wait to catch up with those of you I've met before and putting some more names to faces. If only I could put together a batch of stuff I was happy with! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Looking forward as well to seeing your idea HK.

I'm also going down the road of about 8-12 mounted prints that I want for myself. IF I sell one then .... it a bonus. I just want to take part, chat and meet. I went along last year to see the various displays and enjoyed the banter as I met various people.

One thing that I really liked and thought it was a great idea came from dodgy (if I recall correctly). He had snap shot sized copies of some of his prints. He gave one to my daughter of one that she liked, which I thought was a lovley touch.

Oh janey I don't mean to big up the idea. It really is just a thought on how to exhibit photos I'm having trouble picking so I'm taking a blunderbus and doing it cheaply in the hope that quantity blinds quality.

It's all just been thought about too so hope it works out but really it is just a way of trying not to think too hard on what to show and to do it with funds that are available.

I'm more looking forward to just doing something pro-active. Nice thing to do for hobbiests.

Since everyone is talking about printing and starting to think about hanging I guess now is a good time to remind everyone to check the rules

*The exhibits should be attached to the railings using string or other soft materials. Wire or other materials likely to cause damage should not be used. No undue interference should be caused to other visitors of St Stephens Green. The pavement should be clear of boxes, tables and prints at all times.
    *No sticky tabs or tape.
    *Bluetac and string are OK.
    *No wooden or steel structures to be erected or attached to the top of the railings
    *No structures likely to fall or be blown down and cause injuries are to be erected or attached to the railings

Boils down to, dont block anyone, dont damage anything and dont put anyone at risk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

humberklog wrote: »

I'm taking a blunderbus and doing it cheaply in the hope that quantity blinds quality.

please bring the "suckling baby / annoyed mother" shot...I'm hoping to pop in tomorrow for a visit with my little fella and I'll buy a copy of that.

ps. expect haggling.

Good luck to everyone taking part, hope the sun shines.

• Advertisement

eas wrote: »
    please bring the "suckling baby / annoyed mother" shot...I'm hoping to pop in tomorrow for a visit with my little fella and I'll buy a copy of that.

ps. expect haggling.

I don't think it's on till next weekend. Saturday 29th... Could be wrong though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

thanks oshead, you've just saved me an incredible amount of confusion.

thanks oshead, you've just saved me an incredible amount of confusion.

That's twice in one week.... :D

humberklog wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be taking my space after all. Canon are giving me a printer tomorrow. It only does 6"x4" prints but I think that's gonna be grand as I have an idea for a display that'll work with the photos that size. So instead of having each photo representing itself by being done to a proper size and mounted in a professional manner it might be fun for me to set up my space as an installation in itself.
    It's not being arty, it's being cheap and making best do with what one has.

Glad to hear. Looking forward to meeting you (and the others I haven't had the pleasure to meet previously).

ps. expect haggling.

Will do, mind you they are all only going to be postcard size and of whatever quality this new Canon printer gizmo gives me. No haggling expected as I'm giving them away free. I hadn't thought of that pic for it but now that you mention it it sounds a good idea...nice one Eas, thanks.

My original idea has had to be revised after reading the rules but the basic premise is the same (if not the presentation).

I'm doubful anybody will be intersted in buying any of my work, but was wondering, do poeple put watermarks in their shots for this sort of thing or sign them somehow on the off-chance if they are sold a creators mark will be on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Likewise, I've no idea if anyone is likely to buy any of mine, but I'm going to try and present them as well as I can anyway. I intend mounting them and printing as well as I can, with a title and sig in pencil on the print margin.

My basis for selection was images I like myself rather than ones I think will sell. If I sell a couple and cover the printing costs, well and good, if not, well I've a bundle of prints I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

My advice for someone thats been there a few years now is to not spend too much printing or mounting or framing. The cheaper you can sell the photos for the more likely you are to sell them. A few friends before have been very lucky to get commission jobs from it.

I wouldn't go into the show expecting to sell any at all and then anything from there is a bonus. Also dont forget that you are supposed to have a street trading license to sell stuff so if you are selling be discrete ;)

guys, i wont be able to make it in on the sunday so if anyone wants to take my place, JUST FOR SUNDAY, let me know... if not i can let the two posters either side of me take the space...
    cheers

• Advertisement

I'm playing the Dun L festival on Sunday. I thought it was later than it actually is so I might have to either skip Sunday or pack up by 2ish. Is this the done thing or would that be not the done thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Solarina

Just wanted to say Hello! just suddenly got offered 2 spaces on the east side for this weekend, completely unprepared and had no idea it was coming up! So Im a bit stressed and thrown!

But reading through all this has given me a better idea of what to try and get done between now and then (namely, frigging everything...)

More so, looking forward to having a good look around and meeting you all! (im a silent stalker most of the time on boards, and then not so silent on flickr!)

I really am lost though, have to literally start from scratch from tomorrow morning! So maybe I wont be all in one piece by the weekend but sure Il do my best... see yous all there!

Lucy
    x
    _________

www.solarina.org
    www.flickr.com/photos/shutr

Anyone see the 9pm News and weather? I just caught the end and I think she said rain was coming in on Sunday. Does that mean dry on Saturday and getting wet later on Sunday.

Solarina wrote: »
    I really am lost though, have to literally start from scratch from tomorrow morning! So maybe I wont be all in one piece by the weekend but sure Il do my best... see yous all there!

Lucy

Great stuff Lucy, looking forward to seeing you there! Don't worry, I still haven't done anything so we're in the same boat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Lucy, your web links speak volumes. Even if you had bad prints of anything in your portfolio, you'd still have nothing to worry about. Enjoy it ( and don't forget the random thread to bring you out of lurker mode ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Solarina

Kjt & AnCatDubh- Cheers! Makes me feel a bit better!

Q... is mesh allowed? It says no wire, but I saw pictures of wirey looking mesh/cant think of the name of that stuff, and that seems like an easy frame for sticking things to...

Also, prices? how cheap and how expensieve do you find there? Not that selling will happen, but just to know in the hope of not looking ridiculous by pricing way too much or too little!

Okay one last question... anyone know of somewhere to pick up precut window mounts? Ive only cut my own in the past and dear god it was awful, and I just dont even have time to butcher any at the moment, does any art shop or frame store sell say, 8X10 standard window mounts?

Sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Solarina wrote: »
    K
    Okay one last question... anyone know of somewhere to pick up precut window mounts? Ive only cut my own in the past and dear god it was awful, and I just dont even have time to butcher any at the moment, does any art shop or frame store sell say, 8X10 standard window mounts?

You could try Regency Framing in Baldoyle, they usually have heaps of them in stock. Sullivan graphics on Camden st sometimes have them.

The plastic mesh that's in one of my photos above if fine. Prices range from €5 up to €500, it really depends. In the end, most people don't sell. It's more about getting together with a bunch of good folk :)

I'll probably be using a plastic mesh, no wire involved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

I won't be able to make it Peoples Photography this year as I'm going to one of my best friend's wedding in Sligo for the weekend :)

Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck!

Marcus

Advertisement