Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples Photography 2009

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Great to meet some new faces and get reacquainted with others. I'm definitely getting a baby sitter next year... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Borderfox wrote: »
    Nice to see everybody there,
    good day guys, glad to meet some of you
    Solarina wrote: »
    lovely to meet loads of you!
    kjt wrote: »
    Cracking day/weekend guys,
    sineadw wrote: »
    I had a brilliant time too :D Roll on next year!
    Thanks everybody for making such a great weekend. It was great meeting everybody who called by to say hello. You helped to make it a fabulous weekend.
    :D:D:D Great weekend
    humberklog wrote: »
    Of course it was great to see and meet all those exhibiting but a big heads up to those that came to browse and said hello...p and b, oshead, xia, covey etc.
    I was just delighted to see you were all so........well.........normal!
    oshead wrote: »
    Great to meet some new faces and get reacquainted with others. :)

^ What they said! :D

Thanks all for your company, really enjoyed the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

good to drop by and say hello to a few of you, although I am still getting to know your boards names ! some excellent photos on show.

something I'll consider for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Even if it was at the expense of the weekend lie-in.
    Good to meet the folk again I had met previously. And good to meet some folk I hadn't previously met. (you all know who you are).
    And for all the nervousness of biting the Peoples Photography bullet for the first time, I'm now looking forward to next year.

Well done to the organisers and the participants.

Oh, and a big thanks for the help with my 'flat' battery. Buzz and his jumping skills and Humberklog and his engineering(?) skills! Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Thanks guys for a great weekend! Some brilliant work displayed over the weekend, and geat to meet you all. Off to the sweet shop now to spend the €5 I ....um.....earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Hi Everybody,

as Buzz mentioned previously, I'm now a boardsie as well as pixie, so I can officially thank you all for your support and 'convincing efforts' during the last weekend. So, thank you very much! :)

It was thoroughly enjoyable weekend and good fun. I loved to have the opportunity to put the faces to the names of people I hadn't met before and see and talk and laugh with those I had met previously.

Looking forward to Peoples Photography 2010! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Hi Everybody,

as Buzz mentioned previously, I'm now a boardsie as well as pixie

Yay! :D Welcome..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I now own an original "Humberklog" and some day it's going to be worth a fortune. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

bravo wrote: »
    Thanks guys for a great weekend! .... and geat to meet you all. Off to the sweet shop now to spend the €5 I ....um.....earned!

Great meeting you and the clan, bravo. Don't spend it all that fortune in one go;)
    trooney wrote: »
    Oh, and a big thanks for .... Buzz and his jumping skills and Humberklog and his engineering(?) skills! Cheers lads.

Great meeting you again. As for my jumping skills ........ :o. Anytime man :D
    as Buzz mentioned previously, I'm now a boardsie as well as pixie, .... :D

Yea post no.1. The hard part is over and the fun starts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

It's how you go about it, nothing to do with content (thankfully!!).:pac::pac::pac:

I can imagine more doing the same next year, it's the way forward.

What did you do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

While spending hours at People'e Photography is very pleasant it can drag after a while. I took out the camera & shot some stuff on Sunday.

I have been given a loan of a 105mm Micro, so tried using it for a short while. I quite enjoyed using the manual focus again, but miss the split screen.

89560.jpg

This one was a grab shot of the Viking Splash. Am in two minds about this one still. the background worries me & so have made it Mono & turned it down a coiple of stops.

89561.jpg

What did you do?

First he gave them away. Then he put up a '€1' sign. Then he put up a 'tips greatly accepted' sign. And did the best of all the boardersees! (More power to him).
    Next year I'm just hanging a tips sign. Nothing else. No photos. Just a tips jar. Its the way to go. Conceptual photography at its extreme :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What did you do?

Made up only 6"x4" sizes of about about 25 different pics and hung them as free post cards for people to take.

First time exhibiting so wanted to do it my way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Frank Sinatra of the Photography Forum. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Made up only 6"x4" sizes of about about 25 different pics and hung them as free post cards for people to take.

Turned out to be a good chat up line from what I saw...:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There was a lot going for it for the first timer.
    Chatting up (or communicating:D).
    By putting up over 30 different images it freed me up from making selection mistakes if I'd decided to display 8 or so full prints. I find it hard to know what people like and I'm often surprised at the popularity (or not popular) of some pics.
    In doing this I could also see what is generally popular, therefore making selection for larger prints (the next time out) less of a shot in the dark.

Next time I'd have the postcards displayed in a easier accessable and more sturdy set up and have a collection of 6 larger and well presented prints to catch the eye and draw in.
    Just from looking at what people did buy from other stalls I'd properly frame them too. People want less hassle, they're not as keen buying just a mounted photo as a properly framed one. A mounted one means that they've to look for a frame.
    That's some of what I learned, few other things too about display and such like.
    A web site is important as it's much easier to give contact details other than scribbling an email address with a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

That was a Great weekend, I got to meet some of you briefly on Sunday Morning, your displays looked great.

Nice shot Sinead, i think i met you when you were stacking all those filters, how long did the exposure turn out in the end? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Finally got this time lapse movie from the weekend up on the photography blog.

Absolutely excellent Kyle. Its a wonderful movie. I really love the part when you move the camera and change the perspective.

As for those two fools walking across the camera slowly .......

Anyway. My I had an old box brownie with me for the weekend.
    5510BD1D912E46E0A3F2841C651FFB92-100.jpg
    It's basic. No focus adjustments. No shutter speed or aperature adjustments. Just pop in the roll of 120 and off you go. The original ponint and shoot. I developed these last night. There's a few more over on my pixie

99D94F2CAA28428387D540560960CECD-240.jpg

4692E87C43B94373BDD6FDD6FA64E3DD-240.jpg

83CC407765AE4566BBD57E2D712DD6B2-240.jpg

• Advertisement

kjt wrote: »
    Finally got this time lapse movie from the weekend up on the photography blog.

Well done. Looks good. You should try dragging the exposure (using a longer exposure for each frame). This gives you a much smoother transition from frame to frame with whatever objects (people in this case) are in a different pposition in each shot.

Anyway. My I had an old box brownie with me for the weekend.

It's basic. No focus adjustments. No shutter speed or aperature adjustments. Just pop in the roll of 120 and off you go. The original ponint and shoot. I developed these last night. There's a few more over on my pixie

Love the pictures, Buzz. Didn't think at all they would look that good when you were taking them... :) Well done!

Love the pictures, Buzz. Didn't think at all they would look that good when you were taking them... :) Well done!

Cheers. That make you and me both. The last time that camera saw film I think my dad was about 30 ish, making that over 50 years ago :eek:

I've bought some more 120 in Gunnes yeaterday for the holidays :D

Cheers. That make you and me both. The last time that camera saw film I think my dad was about 30 ish, making that over 50 years ago :eek:

I've bought some more 120 in Gunnes yeaterday for the holidays :D

Sounds like you are gonna have fun....and loads of material for next years People's Photography... :D

Advertisement