Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YOUR OPPIONIONS PLEASE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

(off(ish) topic useless info)

When I used to be id-ed for smokes & drink in the past (up until I was about 26-27), I used to be delira and ag sire and smug. Now I wish they'd ID me but I look oh so old now (I look 26-27 but am older:pac::pac:)

And back to OP, no you shouldn't have stood your ground and no you shouldn't be compensated.

I agree with others about it being great that places like lidl are being so strict with ID checks, I for one am sick of seeing gangs of youths with copious amounts of alcohol in my area-wrecking all the local amenities that my children and I enjoy. One might be over 18 buying booze for 15 other (underage) scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Banes05

I think the op should perhaps educate themselves on the actual consequenses to both the employer and the employee, of being caught selling alcohol to anyone underage. The girl who served you is absolutely right that she would loose her job on the spot and the store would be closed for a minimum of 2 days.

I know that if you go into any Lidl Store in the republic,you'll see signs before the checkouts regarding the companies "challenge 21" policy, meaning that if you look around 21, you're gonna be asked for i.d. which really isnt that much hassle to produce if you're honest, plenty of people will either have a garda id,a passport or a driving licence

At the end of the day, its a policy that helps companies to cut down on young underagers hanging around outside asking other people to go and buy drink for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Banes05 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, its a policy that helps companies to cut down on young underagers hanging around outside asking other people to go and buy drink for them

In Galway the underagers nowadays pay winos to get gargle for them in a few 'select' city centre offies . That is because the supermarkets have pretty stringent policies including refusing over 21s because they deem certain under 18s to be 'with them' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Random wrote: »
    I disagree with a manager being called over, ignoring you, and then walking away. The language they spoke is irellevant. If the shop assistant can convey my problem to her manager better in a language other than English then so be it. The manager should have turned around though after and addressed you on the issue (and in English).

+1, but then again, if you are working in a job in an english speaking country, in a customer facing role, then your language skills should be strong enough to explain yourself to your manager. By speaking in another language, there is no way for the customer to know what was actually said. Perhaps the reason why the manager dismissed the issue is because of how the staff member explained what was happening. So I think the staff member should have spoken in English. But the buck stops with the manager, who should have told the staff member this, and furthermore as Random says, after speaking to the staff member, the manager should then have addressed the customer. But as I said we don't know what the staff member said - perhaps the manager didn't realise they needed to address the customer.

My OH does not have english as his native tongue. But he would never speak in his own language in front of customers, and exclude them from what was being said. It is rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Random wrote: »
    This whole "Garda ID Only" policy is complete sh!te. It's Ireland. Nearly everyone has a driving license of some form and it wouldn't take much to educate staff in what it looks like. Refusing a passport is even more retarded a policy IMO. If you're gonna have a "one ID only" policy then it should be a passport.
    I agree with you on the second point regarding passports but I disagree about the driving licences. Do not see how much of a joke out licence is? It is laminated paper that is easy to tamper with whereas the driving licence and passports are much harder to tamper with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ponyirl wrote: »
    My girl friend and i went to LIDL last saturday to do our weeks shopping,we bundled up our stuff and headed for the counter on the way i picked up a slab of beer .
    So the girl at the check out scanned all the grocerys coming to a total of 117 euro then she came to the slab of beer she said to my girl friend do you have ID and my girlfriend did not.
    So i said i do and took out my age card the girl then said i have to see hers aswell i said why... she said because you are buying the beer for her, so i said leave the beer to one side and i'll buy it in a few mins my self she still said NO

in the end she accepted my girl friends driving licence as ID and we left .

what i'd like to know is had she any right to do this? when i had a valid age card and was the one paying.
    Seems to be like she was a bit out of order, and as you say, they gave you the beer in the end. As to whether she had the 'right' or not, is a seperate matter.
    should i have stood my ground? should i be compensated for the embarrassment?
    Yes, of course you should have stood your ground. You were legally purchasing alcahol and you had the required ID.
    No, you shouldn't be compensated for your embarresment. Just put it down to experience.
    what would other people do?
    I would have refused to go through with the transaction without the beer and left the €117 of groceries at the checkout for them to put back on shelves. That might have helped them to concentrate their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I would also have left the 117 quids worth of groceries at the till and i have done this once in aldi when a similar thing happened

if i was going to have the hassle of going into another supermarket anyway id buy my food there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

..........and took out my age card the girl then said i have to see hers aswell i said why... she said because you are buying the beer for her, so i said leave the beer to one side and i'll buy it in a few mins my self she still said NO . she went on that if the garda stop me she could loose her job and the shop could be closed for 3 days

If all their employees took this view they might as well give up selling alcohol!
    It sounds like the manager told her to use some common sense.
    As for compensation, you got the drink, so whats the problem. I think the fact you even metioned compo turned people's opinions against you.

If they had still refused to accept your ID (as is their right), you should have just left the shopping and never darkened their door again.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

there was no communication between the manager and OP!it's just not manners to exclude someone from a conversation(especially one about them!) like that.

The Op's posting suggests that English (as she is spoken in Ireland) may not be the Op's first language.

compensation dosen't have to be in the form of money thats not what was ment as said before an apologie was all i ment bad wording on my behalf

As mentioned before - Op's language does not appear to be English (or English as it is spoken/spelt in Ireland)

• Advertisement

My girl friend and i went to LIDL last saturday to do our weeks shopping,we bundled up our stuff and headed for the counter on the way i picked up a slab of beer .
    So the girl at the check out scanned all the grocerys coming to a total of 117 euro then she came to the slab of beer

117 Euro before beer - in Lidl that must be 47 trolleys !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

parsi wrote: »
    117 Euro before beer - in Lidl that must be 47 trolleys !

depends what u buy ,i can fit 70quids worth in a large backpack and i buy a good selection of products

id say a trolley could hold 200+ if u chose hi-value items

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I had the same thing happen in lidl in maynooth. The thing is I am 27 and I do not look under age. I was rarely, if ever, asked for id when I was in fact under 18.
    I was shopping with a housemate who is 31 at the time.
    We were both asked for id and had none on us. As the lady behind the counter was talking to us she was slowly removing all the alcohol from our shopping and putting it behind her. We were both incredibly embarrassed about the situation as there was a good few people behind us watching what was going on.
    While she was polite, i feel it was a bit ridiculous asking us for id..... I mean I'm 27 ffs!

The managers in lidl must have all the staff well warned about serving people underage.... but surely this is taking them mic! Despite this OP, I don't see your reasoning behind a wish to be compensated for what happened to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

"should i be compensated for the embarrassment?"

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: South Dublin by any chance?

I had the same thing happen in lidl in maynooth. The thing is I am 27 and I do not look under age. I was rarely, if ever, asked for id when I was in fact under 18.
    I was shopping with a housemate who is 31 at the time.
    We were both asked for id and had none on us. As the lady behind the counter was talking to us she was slowly removing all the alcohol from our shopping and putting it behind her.

I hope you just left your shopping there and walked out. They don't seem to need customers with carry on like that. (And yes, I know it's their right to ask for ID, but it should be done with a bit of common sense.)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    I hope you just left your shopping there and walked out. They don't seem to need customers with carry on like that. (And yes, I know it's their right to ask for ID, but it should be done with a bit of common sense.)
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

axer wrote: »
    LOL

?

enda1 wrote: »
    ?
    I'm laughing at the way some people give out about the shop in question doing what they are supposed to do i.e. ensure alcohol is not being purchased for a minor or someone who, in the cashier's opinion, looks like a minor. To say someone should just walk out of the shop in protest or that the shop does not need customers just because they are vigilant with the law is ridiculus.

It is great to see that shops are trying to tackle underage drinking by being vigilant with regards to over 18's purchasing for minors.

I'm laughing at the way some people give out about the shop in question doing what they are supposed to do i.e. ensure alcohol is not being purchased for a minor or someone who, in the cashier's opinion, looks like a minor. To say someone should just walk out of the shop in protest or that the shop does not need customers just because they are vigilant with the law is ridiculus.

It is great to see that shops are trying to tackle underage drinking by being vigilant with regards to over 18's purchasing for minors.

Would you not say there is a slight difference between somebody in their late 20's, early 30's doing their weekly shopping of <€100 and little anto and his bud's getting a crate of dutch gold? As I said, I know it's the shops right to ask for ID, but I expect them to use a modicum of common sense. I would have no problem in taking my buisness elsewhere.

Would you not say there is a slight difference between somebody in their late 20's, early 30's doing their weekly shopping of <€100 and little anto and his bud's getting a crate of dutch gold?
    No, whats the difference? Is it ok for some in their late 20's, early 30's doing their weekly shopping of <€100 buying alcohol for minors or do you think it is impossible?

• Advertisement

No, whats the difference? Is it ok for some in their late 20's, early 30's doing their weekly shopping of <€100 buying alcohol for minors or do you think it is impossible?

No, it's quite possible. How would having them show ID make any difference to the above scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

personally i dont think they can be strict enough on these things there is way too much underage drinking and loutish behaviour - though i do querry this garda age card thing that is for people who are over 18 to get into pubs and clubs and to purchase alcohol etc so i do understand it being asked but not solely as the two main government identifications are passport and drivers licence - they should be excepted if not above the garda card - the stores should have the ultra ray light so they can detect the real against the fake ld's - i dont work in a bar or nightclub or supermarket or off licence and we have one for checking them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

How would them having ID`s mean their not buying for minors??

I would also feel insulted being asked for ID at that age. So if you don`t like how you're treated of course you have the right to leave and feel justified doing so.

Just as the shop has the right to refuse admission, one has the right to refuse custom.

I prefer to shop where the staff don't treat me like a criminal thanks very much.

No, it's quite possible. How would having them show ID make any difference to the above scenario?
    (not sure if you are talking about the OP's post) The girl would have to show ID to prove that she is also over 18 since it looked like the alcohol could be being bought for her. The point is that it is not just about the person buying the alcohol but you have to look at the situation to see is there a good chance the alcohol is being bought for the a minor. This comes down to the judgement of the cashier but that responsibility needs to exist in order to cut down on people who are legally entitled to purchase alcohol purchasing said alcohol for minors. If you can think of a better way to try and ensure this is the case then please speak.
    How would them having ID`s mean their not buying for minors??
    It doesn't but it is some sort of check - what is the alternative? Ignore it completely?
    I would also feel insulted being asked for ID at that age.
    Why? How is it insulting? How is the cashier supposed to know for sure that you are of legal alcohol purchasing age?
    So if you don`t like how you're treated of course you have the right to leave and feel justified doing so.
    You always have the right to leave for any reason nobody said you didnt just like the shop has the right to decide for whatever reason not to sell you something. Still think those people are stupid though but that is my opinion.
    Just as the shop has the right to refuse admission, one has the right to refuse custom.
    yep
    I prefer to shop where the staff don't treat me like a criminal thanks very much.
    Wow, this is the crazy over-reaction I am talking about. Just because someone asks you for id doesn't mean they think you are a criminal - it just means they would like clarification that you are legally allowed to purchase this alcohol considering the shop is taking the risk i.e. that they could be fined or closed if their judgement of your age is wrong.

Do you think it is always possible to judge peoples ages?
    I have seen people about 30 that look like they are under 18 and people (especially women) that are under 18 look like they are 30+.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Axer,

I think you're missing the point!
    Originally Posted by Buffman viewpost.gif
    This was in relation to your previous post which as Buffman pointed out doesn't hold water

Anyway my feeling is that the checkout was correct in her actions maybe should have handled the situation better but the Manager definetly should have explained the outcome, very poor customer care!
    On this basis I would have no qualms walking away leaving groceries on the belt but only because of how the situation was handled not for the decision on the sale of alchol!
    I have in the past made such a statement in shops where the shop keeper allows someone to jump the queue just because they are paying for fuel, when they have to recieve change!?

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Why do people seem to feel offended if asked for ID in an off-licence or supermarket when purchasing alcohol, yet not when asked for ID in a pub. I am in my early thirties, and was asked for ID at a pub in town last year - hadn't been carded in about 10 years, lol. The previous time was the night of my 21st :D

cheapskate wrote: »
    Axer,

I think you're missing the point!

This was in relation to your previous post which as Buffman pointed out doesn't hold water
    So buffman is suggesting that people should judge the person by how maybe they talk or dress or by how much they spend in the shop for judgement as to whether they could be possibly purchasing for a minor. I think that is wrong. The same suspicion should be applied to everyone purchasing alcohol when it looks like they could be possibly purchasing the alcohol for a minor.

I cannot understand the offence taken from being asked for ID when purchasing alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I cannot understand the offence taken from being asked for ID when purchasing alcohol

Axer people love to take offense and cause conflict, the other day a man came in and wanted milk and a cone , i put them through the till and told him the amount, wheres my cone he demanded, i told him that we usually take the payment first because its akward to get wallets/purses and change sorted with a cone in your hand. Just being practicle.

he demanded his cone first so i obliged, cue akward fumbling for the cash while he held the cone in his hand, cue an i told you so smile from me.;)

the reason that they will sometimes only accept a garda id card is that , in the legislation it is the only id that is a certain defense when selling alcohol, its an anomoly but thats the reason.

So buffman is suggesting that people should judge the person by how maybe they talk or dress or by how much they spend in the shop for judgement as to whether they could be possibly purchasing for a minor.

Again, IDing people has no effect and is no detterent to buying for minors, so the quoted 'common sense' approach would seem to be all we have.

It does all depend on the situation. If I'm going in and buying loads of booze, I would expect to be IDed and would not mind. If I'm doing the weekly food shop and throw in a bottle of wine, I would mind being IDed. This is case specific to me though, as by no stretch of the imagination do I look under 18.

I guess thats really the point, if you are 'blessed' with youthful good looks:), then you should expect to be IDed all the time as a slight downside of this.
    If you're an oul fart who obviously isn't underage, it would be quite annoying to be IDed doing your normal shopping (if you don't have ID and get refused as a result). At what age is it alright to not carry ID then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Again, IDing people has no effect and is no detterent to buying for minors, so the quoted 'common sense' approach would seem to be all we have.

Am the Gards might have a different view on this.

They do send in test cases.

I drank from 13 years old, I got served everywhere, later I had fake IDs when pubs started to be over 21.

That was 15 years ago, now my 17 year old brother can't get served anywhere, he can't he get a passable fake ID. Which do you think is better.

My job in tails asking for ID, the guideline is if the person looks under 21, ask.

Advertisement