Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 many DJ's-esque mixes

• 09-04-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have been inspired by 2 many DJ's "As Heard on Radio Soulwax" and want to make my own mixes in the same genre. For those that don't know, 2 many DJ's play a mixture of electro, indie, house, pop, r'n'b, everything and anything basically, Dolly Parton followed by Justice followed by The Clash. I want to make my own mixes like this, just all the songs I like from all genres. These will just be for my own personal enjoyment, and I have no experience or knowledge of Djing or mixing.

My question is can I mix songs using just a laptop? And what program(s) would you recommend? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

if i remember i think it is called organic mixing. Yer man who was in crazytown a few yrs ago does it(DJ AM). My brother saw him in vegas a few years ago and said he was savage good. I would also be interested to find out how to do this just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paulcullen62

Don't under-estimate how hard it is actually to do well. I've been djing 10 years and do some stuff like that but takes alot of time, effort and luck to find what really goes well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I don't expect to be able to make mixes as good as theirs, basically just mix playlists I already have on my iPod to give it a better "flow" if you get me, then just experiement and improve from there.

You can do stuff on a computer but if I where you I'd get hold of some dj equipment and have some fun experimenting. If you want to be able to do good stuff you'll need to be able to beatmix. Its very hard to fit tunes together well with out beatmixing. If your just starting out you can still have fun seeing what works.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

The Soulwax mixes you´re talking about are a very small amount of djing, coupled with huge amounts of time in a studio, by a pair of serious musicians/studio bods.

You´re looking 20 years to learn your trade in the studio, having serious taste and good judgement in terms of music, and finally hundreds if not thousands of hours in the stuido crunching down the tracks.

Mind you, if you wanna check out a similarly cool mix CD, Spank Rock´s effort for the Fabric series is quality.

• Advertisement

Check out Girl Talk

http://www.myspace.com/girltalk

Some of the best i've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Check out this video. It's more about their remixs etc but should give you an idea of how they work:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I don't want/expect to make them of their level. Really, all I aim to do is remove the silence between songs, by doing some very minor mixing. After that just practise, mess around and improve. I'm not sure if I would be into the whole DJing scene, so would be hesitant about splashing out on equipment just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

A good program to start with would be Acid Pro
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro

You can take samples/loops of songs & throw them into this or even the whole tune, then you can change the tempo & pitch to mix it in with other tunes of a similar structure.

Check out Lenlow, he does some great mash ups
    http://www.lenlow.com/

Advertisement