Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Rental Lease

Options
  • 09-04-2009 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Renting an apartment at the moment and got offered a relations house (its up for sale, but sitting empty the last couple of months) for a lot cheaper than I'm paying at the moment!

Thing is, what will happen if I try get out of the lease? Will they just keep my deposit?

By the way lease is up in August so 4 months left to pay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Will they just keep my deposit

Probably.
    At least they will then have 1 months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If the saving in rent over 4 months is more than your deposit, you might as well move immediately - you'll still save money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

In theory they could force you to pay rent for the duration of the lease, ie the months that are left.

However you should speak to the landlord or agency and ask them what they want you to do. They may ask you to find tenants to take over your lease or they may just let you go and keep your deposit.

This question has been asked recently here and you should check the replies, also check prtb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

karen, enforcing the duration of the lease re rent will never work as in reality most domestic leases are rental agreements as against leases which if to go by the letter of the law, they have to be stamped.

tenant leaves pre term, deposit lost seems to be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Is there a break clause on your Lease? If not, the landlord could chase you for the remaining four months of the Lease. Whether they do or not depends on the Landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

guys , just look if you have a rental agreement or have a stamped lease. Rental agreement isnt worth the paper its written on re breaking same. If you entered a lease which was stamped in the stamping office, then if you break lease you are legally entitled to pay the remainder of the lease. I would say 99% of leases are agreements as againsts leases.

Morning mods!!!!:D

Advertisement