Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mod

Options
  • 09-04-2009 2:56pm

Ok guys,

So I've got exams coming up and won't be online much. Rather than leave dunk looking after the forum on his own, we have added a new mod, orestes, to help keep an eye on the place. He has experience modding the pro wrestling, philosophy and dark and devious forums, so he knows a thing or two about modding He will be looking after this forum, along with myself and dunkamania, to make sure no rules are broken for the next while.

So please welcome along the newest MMA mod, orestes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

Welcome along

Oss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

As long as he does not murder Cleitemnestra we should be ok;)

Welcome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

*Hides*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

Best of luck mate, since the move over from martial arts this place is basically the pro wrestling forum anyway and most of the posters that never posted on the martial arts forum and do here are from the Pro wrestling forum, might aswell get them in as mods as they know who there dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Good luck
    mickoo wrote: »
    Best of luck mate, since the move over from martial arts this place is basically the pro wrestling forum anyway and most of the posters that never posted on the martial arts forum and do here are from the Pro wrestling forum, might aswell get them in as mods as they know who there dealing with.

As someone who posted regularly on the forum pre-split and who posts regularly on the pro wrestling forum I can say that that's not close to being true. Most of the new posters aren't people who ever posted on the pro wrestling forum. And I was a pro wrestling mod for longer than orestes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Being primarily a lurker and occasional poster here, I just to add to Fozzy's point here:
    When the MMA forum opened, PW lost a few posters after that, due to either 1) they were interested in both at one time and lost interest in PW over that period of time.

Or 2) PW never had any problems allowing discussion of MMA, and many probably felt more comfortable posting about it there than the SD&MA. So essentially during that time it was their home.

But we lost a handful of posters, but if you've been to PW in the last two years, save for a few months at the end of last year and earlier this year, it's always been fairly active, and MMA, although it was discussed, it wasn't discussed in depth. The MMA threads from there are still viewable through the search option too.

So Fozzy definitely has hit the nail on the head here. Some of the people came over from the PW, but to say most came over from PW is somewhat of an exaggeration, mickoo. :)

Anyway, now that's off my chest. Good luck orestes, you never told me you were going for this place when you left PW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Welcome Orestes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Cheers for the welcome folks, I'm happy to be on board to help out :)

The reason I never posted about MMA on SD&MA is that it was primarily restricted to one thread which limited things. How I found about this place was that one of the mods said talk about MMA was no longer encouraged on the PW forum and direct all of us here.

I think some people here need to move on here and accept that there is a longstanding relationship between Pro Wrestling and MMA. It is a matter of historical fact. The association doesn’t hurt it all and actual fact it has been greatly beneficial in it's history and even before it was called MMA.

I wish orestes well in his modship and hope to see him post more on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Welcome Orestes.Any background in MMA or Martial arts?

• Advertisement

Welcome Orestes.Any background in MMA or Martial arts?

None yet, but I'm planning on taking up bjj in the very near future

Wait, I did karate for about a month when I was 8, does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Good luck Orestes. I agree with Rovert too :eek:

orestes wrote: »

:D

Do you watch it if so how long have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Welcome Orestes.

A prominent figure in the Irish MMA scene said of this forum:
    Going there would make you hate MMA

Hopefully you can change things for the better :D

Clive wrote: »
    Hopefully you can change things for the better :D

Yeah stamp out that type of elitism and make it more like a community. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

None yet, but I'm planning on taking up bjj in the very near future

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Go fck yourself San Diego

I mean welcome and good luck...you're goona need it when Lesnar takes on Mir

Mairt wrote: »
    No.

Drat
    Killme00 wrote: »
    Go fck yourself San Diego

I mean welcome and good luck...you're goona need it when Lesnar takes on Mir

I think Mir is gonna need wishes of luck more than I am for that one tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

rovert wrote: »

Q.E.D. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I dont think thats what clive was getting at, this is more like the pro wrestling forum than an MMA forum, Just because some people are not mad about the direction this forum goes does not make them elitist.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp then that leads me on two seperate questions:

What should be the direction of the MMA forum in these people's and your own opinions? A message board is what you make of it.

Why do some people have to label posters "Pro Wresling posters" and use that as a borderline insult. If that is elitist then I don’t know what is. Maybe I’m being thick skinned here but this issue comes up time and time again. I don’t think this happens with say "Boxing posters." Can’t we all just be posters here?

cowzerp wrote: »
    I dont think thats what clive was getting at, this is more like the pro wrestling forum than an MMA forum, Just because some people are not mad about the direction this forum goes does not make them elitist.

I was thinking the same way, and I want to make this clear that this is nothing personal against the new Mod, but this forum (as an MMA community) is largely a joke now.

I'm not an MMA practitioner, but as an active and competitive Judoka I still like to feel at least part of the Martial Arts community. But when I visit this forum lately its like visiting a sub-forum of the Pro-Wrestling forum, for god sake I've even got to read through posts comparing MMA to Pro-Wrestling. That to me is verging on a joke to MMA practitioners.

Only makes me thankful that someone had the foresight to split it from the SD&MA forum.

But to the new Mod, sincerely I hope it works out. From what I read you did a fine job getting rid of/sorting out some muppets from the Pro-Wrestling forum when you were Mod there.

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm not an MMA practitioner, but as an active and competitive Judoka I still like to feel at least part of the Martial Arts community. But when I visit this forum lately its like visiting a sub-forum of the Pro-Wrestling forum, for god sake I've even got to read through posts comparing MMA to Pro-Wrestling. That to me is verging on a joke to MMA practitioners.

Wait hold on you are talking about ONE thread comparing the two discussing historical fact as well as other observations:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516015

If you think it is a joke to MMA practitioners you need to read up a bit more about the sport of MMA and the discipline that you practice. Sorry but it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think Mir is gonna need wishes of luck more than I am for that one tbh :pac:

Let's not get off on the wrong foot matey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I don't get what members of the 'MMA community' are p^ssing and moaning about to be honest. Maybe they don't like regular non-training people discussing 'their' sport?
    But when I visit this forum lately its like visiting a sub-forum of the Pro-Wrestling forum, for god sake I've even got to read through posts comparing MMA to Pro-Wrestling.
    In fairness there was one or two threads on this subject that I saw (maybe I missed all the rest of them? ). I think the historical influence of pro-wrestling on MMA is quite interesting, if you didn't that's fair enough, just don't read the threads.

Oh, and welcome to the new mod!

There is never that much tension on here but an issue came to ahead and I thought I would chime in. Im pretty much done talking about it Ive said my piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

cowzerp then that leads me on two seperate questions:

What should be the direction of the MMA forum in these people's and your own opinions? A message board is what you make of it.

The MMA Forum is full of people who dont train and talk about MMA like as if its the same as pro wrestling-the influence of jap mma is nothing to do with American MMA British or Irish MMA, which are the main talking points on this forum..

You dont have to be a fighter to be a fan but sometimes the way MMA is talked about on here is just a joke, i'd prefer if it was talked about as fighting rather than "Entertainment" which it tends to be on here..

The pro wrestling influence is heavy on here and a big turn off to people who just like skillfull fighting, that i have no doubt.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

The MMA Forum is full of people who dont train and talk about MMA like as if its the same as pro wrestling-the influence of jap mma is nothing to do with American MMA British or Irish MMA, which are the main talking points on this forum..
    So they talk about it like it's some sort of sport they watch on TV for their entertainment... right.
    You dont have to be a fighter to be a fan but sometimes the way MMA is talked about on here is just a joke, i'd prefer if it was talked about as fighting rather than "Entertainment" which it tends to be on here..
    All professional sports are ultimately about entertainment. That's why people sit down and watch MMA on the TV at the end of the day.

I'd have zero interest in discussing what happened in some UFC that was on at the weekend, I probably wouldn't even know who was fighting unless it was a big name fight but other people do like doing that, and I fail to see what the problem is with that.

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    So they talk about it like it's some sort of sport they watch on TV for their entertainment... right.

All professional sports are ultimately about entertainment. That's why people sit down and watch MMA on the TV at the end of the day.

I'd have zero interest in discussing what happened in some UFC that was on at the weekend, I probably wouldn't even know who was fighting unless it was a big name fight but other people do like doing that, and I fail to see what the problem is with that.

I don't think anyone (at least not me or Cowzer) has a problem with people taking enjoyment from the UFC etc, and if I'm tbh I haven't a clue about the UFC either (I went to the show at the O2 only because my son wanted to see it).

But what I have a problem with is that people (MMA practitioners mostly from the old SD&MA forum) had hoped that splitting the forum like it is now would promote and advance MMA in Ireland as well as discuss various shows.

But then we've the one or two Walter Mitty charactors here who'd rather we seen the UFC almost as an extention of pro-wrestling.

And I could care less about Brock or another former pro-wrestling clown making the cross over to MMA (UFC mostly I guess) but I doubt there's ONE fighter in Ireland who ever looked at the WWE circus and made the leap into MMA here.

In short, I don't think this forum does anything to promote MMA in this country, it could have been a fantastic Irish MMA discussion forum - but IMO and other's I speak with its failed.

• Advertisement

You don’t have to be a fighter to be a fan but sometimes the way MMA is talked about on here is just a joke, i'd prefer if it was talked about as fighting rather than "Entertainment" which it tends to be on here..

The pro wrestling influence is heavy on here and a big turn off to people who just like skillfull fighting, that i have no doubt.

That’s more of your own personal preference again it is a message board it is what you make of it. Once again I prefer if this place was a community where divergent opinions can be discussed and tolerated. Instead of people selectively deciding what can and can’t be talked about by others just because it doesn’t jive with them.

UFC is NOT a pure sport it never has been so of course there will discussion on the entertainment aspects of fights. UFC promote their fights not primarily on fight quality but on hype.

Again the discussion of Pro Wrestling has been extremely limited relative to the amount of threads in this forum and rarely if ever has it been completely off topic. The only which was a borderline thread was a recent one about Bobby Lashley discussing his lack of star power and personality. But given the fact he was/is a novice in the sport of MMA. I thought input from people who watched him on a weekly basis could give a fair assessment of both and it was pertinent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement