Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do in this situation?

• 09-04-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Well i was recently photographer at my Mum's wedding,They didn't want to pay for a photographer and were happy i'd do a good enough job for them,Now as it was me they weren't demanding me around and asking for pics of this and that and i was happily taking pics at my own pace just getting into it,At one point one of the local newspaper arrived,He sent in the owner of the hotel to get the "married couple" and i came out at well,He talked to me for abit and when i was hanging around to get some shots of them after i noticed he was watching me he tooks the photos and basically dragged them away to get them to sign a sheet(which the best man could of done),Now i know when he dragged them away and kept watching me that he didn't want me to get a photo after him,And what can i do in this situation?It happened last year as well both time i was the official photographer and they were just the press.

It just annoys me that even though at that point in time i was the official photographer and they just felt they were more important than me,I don't know is it age as usually i'm alot younger than the photographers round here.Anyidea what to do if anything?

Edit:Just to add about 10 minutes later the heavens opened and i couldn't get any pics outside,and most the shots i have are indoor and using a flash,So it means the fact he dragged them away that i didn't get the photo i wanted and therefore they have to get it from the paper.

And before anyone asks i just chaged my lenses and was about to go outside to get some group shots etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It doesn't matter much that you were you were the official photographer if the bride and groom voluntarily pose for photos taken by someone else. Without an exclusive 'Hello' or 'OK' type of contract where the participants are contractually obliged not to pose for anyone other than you, there's not much you can do about it.

Sorry, I can see that your pride was dented but you can't stop that guy from taking pictures any more than you could have stopped the mother of the groom taking snaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe it's me, but I don't understand what you're trying to ask!?!?

They wanted particular shots, and they got them.
    You wanted similar shots, and didn't get them because of the weather?

What is the issue? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you want the photo, you get it.

I don't know if you'd find it easier or harder because it's family, but there are times in every wedding that you have to take control. Tbh, I would have asked the other 'tog to hold on a second while I got all the photos I needed, and let him get on with his job then... It's noone's fault the rain started though, and I doubt he really did it so you couldn't get your pics.

Funnily enough though, I encountered problems from 'the seasoned pros' in my younger years shooting. Just keep a level head and know what you have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hello all,

Well i was recently photographer at my Mum's wedding,They didn't want to pay for a photographer and were happy i'd do a good enough job for them,Now as it was me they weren't demanding me around and asking for pics of this and that and i was happily taking pics at my own pace just getting into it,At one point one of the local newspaper arrived,He sent in the owner of the hotel to get the "married couple" and i came out at well,He talked to me for abit and when i was hanging around to get some shots of them after i noticed he was watching me he tooks the photos and basically dragged them away to get them to sign a sheet(which the best man could of done),Now i know when he dragged them away and kept watching me that he didn't want me to get a photo after him,And what can i do in this situation?It happened last year as well both time i was the official photographer and they were just the press.

It just annoys me that even though at that point in time i was the official photographer and they just felt they were more important than me,I don't know is it age as usually i'm alot younger than the photographers round here.Anyidea what to do if anything?

Edit:Just to add about 10 minutes later the heavens opened and i couldn't get any pics outside,and most the shots i have are indoor and using a flash,So it means the fact he dragged them away that i didn't get the photo i wanted and therefore they have to get it from the paper.

And before anyone asks i just chaged my lenses and was about to go outside to get some group shots etc

Are you actually asking a question here ? Or was that just a barely coherent rant ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The guy shooting for the paper knows that to get what he needs he has to give an appearence of authority. This is something you will have to learn. The title of Official Photographer will not get you far unless you have the confidence to back it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

coylemj wrote: »
    It doesn't matter much that you were you were the official photographer if the bride and groom voluntarily pose for photos taken by someone else.

it's common enough for wedding photographers to state in their terms that no other pro photographers are to be around unless cleared with them first.

It's not exactly there for the situation described above, but it is a common clause.

but yeah, I'm not sure who's going to bother getting into it with the BnG on the day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

With anything in life you need to be assertive. If you want shots, make sure you get them. Basically what this guy did was show up and do his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Hello all,

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Apologies for ballbering abit..I'll try and explain it

Basically
    I was shooting a wedding,I was going to get group shots outside of bride/groom etc and while i changed my lens a news paper photographer arrived he got them to pose and while he was going that he kept watching me as if to say"you stay there" then the second he took the shot he dragged them off to give name etc,It then began to rain so i missed the shot,My question is should i of stopped him and said let me get a shot or just let him do his job?

Also the time this happened last year,I went to take a photo and the photographer stopped me and said,Don't take a photo because of the copyright issues that could arrise...Bull$hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

CabanSail wrote: »
    The guy shooting for the paper knows that to get what he needs he has to give an appearence of authority. This is something you will have to learn. The title of Official Photographer will not get you far unless you have the confidence to back it.

I understand this and i'm happy now to use it,But up until you said that i wasn't sure if taking a photo he's set up is in correct pratice or something along those lines,Meaning he could loose money from possible sales etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Apologies for ballbering abit..I'll try and explain it

Basically
    I was shooting a wedding,I was going to get group shots outside of bride/groom etc and while i changed my lens a news paper photographer arrived he got them to pose and while he was going that he kept watching me as if to say"you stay there" then the second he took the shot he dragged them off to give name etc,It then began to rain so i missed the shot,My question is should i of stopped him and said let me get a shot or just let him do his job?

Also the time this happened last year,I went to take a photo and the photographer stopped me and said,Don't take a photo because of the copyright issues that could arrise...Bull$hit?

Ignore looks like that, carry on as normal. If anyone ever tries to make an issue in a situation like this, just give them a lovely, pleasant smile back - Don't cause a row at a formal occasion. You should have asked him to wait. If you're doing the job, you're doing the job, but you have to have the confidence to back that up.

Copyright issues? I see none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Thing is the press guy is doing it to earn a living, I'm guessing you're not because if you were depending on getting the shots to keep the wolves from the door you wouldn't be disuaded by a look.

You both have an objective but neither of you owns the event, instead of seeing it in a winner/loser way, just do your best and make the most of the chances you get. You can learn from some of these guys too, not just about friendly persuasion, but how they set up the shot.

Personally I'd meet and greet, stand beside him and shoot away. Chances are they'll only try a small amount to dissuade, sulfurous hotheads wouldn't last long in the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I think that point has been over looked here. It was a family event! Who cares if the photographer works for the paper. You should have stepped up and taken the shots you needed. If they have a problem with it, who cares, your Mum deserved all the shots she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

So the other photographer posed them, and didn't want you to take a shot of "his" pose ?? Or did he just stop ypou taking a photo at an event ??

If the former, crap (unless of course it was an event which was on private property or had an exclusivity agreement). If the latter, it depends on the event, and the location etc. Give us some more details and we'll be better able to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Never worry about what anybody else wants, till I get my shots all bets are off.

You should have stopped him and let him know that he was welcome to tag along for any shots he wanted but that you were running the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Ricky I completely understand the point you are trying to make here and agree with most of the reactions posted:
    CabanSail wrote: »

It's very important to stand your ground, but then again, not to the extend where it ends up in 'rowing'. Do you think you would have felt the same if it weren't your mothers wedding you think?
    Dragan wrote: »
    With anything in life you need to be assertive. If you want shots, make sure you get them. Basically what this guy did was show up and do his job.

True... He's only got so much time e wants to 'dedicate' to this wedding coz presumably he's got another one to get to, and then a 21st and to end the evening, a local band playin in a local venue somewhere. Therefore, he will use his 'authority' to get in there, take the shots and get it over with. Press photographers are a 'different' sort when it comes to these things, compared to wedding photographers who have the whole event to document.
    democrates wrote: »
    Thing is the press guy is doing it to earn a living, I'm guessing you're not because if you were depending on getting the shots to keep the wolves from the door you wouldn't be disuaded by a look.

You both have an objective but neither of you owns the event, instead of seeing it in a winner/loser way, just do your best and make the most of the chances you get. You can learn from some of these guys too, not just about friendly persuasion, but how they set up the shot.

Personally I'd meet and greet, stand beside him and shoot away. Chances are they'll only try a small amount to dissuade, sulfurous hotheads wouldn't last long in the business.

This would be my approach as well. Spot him béfore he goes off talking to the bride/groom, have a little chat and shoot together.

Anyways, I feel for you because it musn't have a been a 'nice' experience and probably got to you very much, especially since it was a family related wedding. Just remember to stand your ground, create your own 'aura' of authority and work hand in hand with whatever other photographer comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Ricky,

I'm not going to say much because...well there isn't a lot I can say other than this.

Chalk it down...and bear in mind that given what you want to do, you've had a useful free lesson in the importance of being assertive and confident and of knowing your place.

If you were going to do things differently again, how would you do it? And then apply that knowledge.

Advertisement