Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snorkeling ???

Options
  • 09-04-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if any clubs just take on Snorkelers I have dived befor and have got my PADI cert but dont really have the time or the money to take it up in Ireland but i love to get in and snorkel but I have no friend in Ireland that are in to it

Any help would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check:

http://www.cft.ie

for clubs near you.

I know of clubs that happily take snorkellers who are also cox'ns and can drive their boat.

So you need not be a diver to contribute to club activities.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Where are you based? A group from our club go snorkelling most Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

bigfeller wrote: »
    Where are you based? A group from our club go snorkelling most Sundays.

Im in wicklow so any were between here and Dun laoghaire I have looked at the wicklow clubs site its all looks very serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Don't worry about the whole serious aspect of websites, all us divers are just big softies at heart. Just give them a ring and get in the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 godley

hey, lookin to start snorkling aroud the west coast of cork and kerry,any advice on good equipmet,good brands,price ranges i'd be lookin at.
    also,which would be recommended as to semi dry and dry snorkles???
    sound for any replys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Simple j tube as flexible as possible for snorkel. Low volume mask 5 mm freediving /spearfishing suit, rubber belt, decent knife, long fins and you wont ever look back.
    Creessi super comp is very good value and bullet proof. Not great if you weant to do deep scuba past 20m down the road but great for snorkelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

+1 on the J-type snorkel. The drains are a waste of money. Will inevitably break or diaphram will fall off. Expect to pay @ 15 euro (I know thats what the Scubapro ones start at - Simple ones are the best)

If this is the only activity you do in the water a simple 5mm suit (again I'd recommend a scubapro one - very good quality and a good price - expect to pay @150 euro for a 5mm) would probably suffice. But if you are into other things such as surfing diving, etc it might be advisable to get a suit that can be used for both activities.

E.G. a suit for snorkelling might not be any good for diving but the vice versa would be fine...

One final recommendation, regardless of brand, is that if you are snorkelling you will need flexible fins. Scuba diving fins are generally far more rigid than those used for Snorkelling and freediving. If you are using Scubadiving fins while snorkelling it can cause an awful lot of strain on your ankles and thighs.... I'd recommend a foot or shoe type fin, (these are generally more flexible) go for a size or two bigger than your shoe size and wear them with a neoprene sock to keep your feet warm.... Expect to pay between 35-50 euro for these style fins. (steer clear from the LIDL/ ALDI fins if snorkeling, far too rigid):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

fmcc wrote: »
    Simple j tube as flexible as possible for snorkel. Low volume mask 5 mm freediving /spearfishing suit, rubber belt, decent knife, long fins and you wont ever look back.
    Creessi super comp is very good value and bullet proof. Not great if you weant to do deep scuba past 20m down the road but great for snorkelling.

This is good advice, A proper freedive suit is the best bet if you intend to spend any time at all in the water.
    The difference between a Freedive/spearfishing suit is that they are single lined, that it there is only one side that has nylon on it.
    The tiny holes act like miniature suction cups and stick to the skin keeping you warmer than a double lined suit.
    They are not common here, but are readily available in France from the likes of scubaland.fr.
    Freedive/spearo suits are also much more flexible than any surf or dive suit and this makes them much more comfortable.

Regarding snorkels stick with standard J tube and try and find one that fits your mouth, not all snorkels are comfortable.
    I have a Beauchat, a Sporasub and both are fine in my mouth.

Regarding masks, I find the Cressi Big eyes a great mask but it is called something else now, try and find a black skirt model they are much better for freediving.
    Also the Omer Alien is a good fit for many people.

Fins are a personal subject, Proper longblade fins are the best bet but you will need to find the best footpocket for you, not easy with mail order.
    Personally Omer footpockets are the best for my foot and don't require the use of Fixe-palmes Try as many full foot finpockets as you can.
    Stay away from the open heel type and hard sole booties they are not great for snorkel work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 montyomeara

godley wrote: »
    hey, lookin to start snorkling aroud the west coast of cork and kerry,any advice on good equipmet,good brands,price ranges i'd be lookin at.
    also,which would be recommended as to semi dry and dry snorkles???
    sound for any replys

Similar question from me. I've recently been made redundant and was told that Snorkling would be an ideal hobbie for me by a friend who is a qualified diver.

My question is where are the best places to go? I live in Kilkenny but would be willing to travel, I could incorporate it into family weekends away with the kids.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Monty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

LSAC have a great winter snorkel training program in Limerick at UL...tuesday nights at the arena. Led by a freediver from the club that emphasizes improving distance/stamina in the off season. http://www.limericksubaqua.com Training starts around October through March. The club has scuba and snorkel membership plans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 plazmadazz

hey guys i`m inexperienced snorkler and would love to get out there i`ve done a little bit when i lived in cornwall, i have a five mil winter suit, gloves boots tusa fins and tusa mask so i`m ready to get in, was wandering where is safe to go and if i should join a club??? have all equipment from couple of years ago as i was going to do my padi but i moved away any recommended diving schools near cork????????/

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check:

http://www.mdac.ie/gallery/main.php

Ask for Mark. He should be able to fill you in

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GaddMaster

What is a great place to go Snorkel myself privately with a friend. We want to avoid a schedule or going with a company. We want to just know a great place and go there ourselves. We have all our equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GaddMaster

What is a great place to go Snorkel myself privately with a friend. We want to avoid a schedule or going with a company. We want to just know a great place and go there ourselves. We have all our equipment

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi,

Go West. Ive jest spent all day at Keem Bay in Achill. Great place to snorkel. Good mixture of sand beds and warm rock. Very Safe.

We are heading to Lackan Beach near Kilalla next weekend.

Go West young Man!

Advertisement