Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome, UCD humanist society

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Brimmy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of the big societies promise Wheadon at the beginning of the year?

Along with ArtSoc promising Ricky Gervais and Megan Fox. L&H promising Philip Seymour Hoffman and Chris Jericho. Lawsoc promising Patrick Stewart and a rake of others....

Just don't promise speakers or guests you can't deliver and I'll join to support if I'm still around next year smile.gif

Of course! I'm still sore about Patrick Stewart. No promises will be made by me.
    JohnGalt wrote:
    Is it really necessary to actively promote atheism? I think that would discredited the organisation. It would be better to leave it as implied that atheism or agnosticism are the positions held by most members, and focus on encouraging the kind of thinking that led these people to these conclusions.

I don't think promoting outright atheism would do that at all. We're not promoting anti-theism, which is something many atheists and agnosics would have a problem with, and we're not too concerned with what non-humanists think of our style. Don't you think asking us not to promote atheism is like asking the Pope not to promote Catholicism? Although that's not a great analogy; you'd never stumble upon Christianity by a thought process, you have to be taught about it.

That being said, maybe I'm wrong? Policy is decided by the committee (this year) and by the members once we have them.

Only 5 committee spots remaining, so anyone who wants to be an active member, let me know! Also, look out in the next issue of the Observer, they said they'd interview me to publicise the society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Might wanna throw up a few more posters man ! I was keeping an eye out for them as I walked around yesterday and today, but only saw the one (as you're coming down the steps from the library to get outside) ! I dunno if many people would notice if they're not more conspicuously placed :) You been getting much of a response/any emails?

Dave! wrote: »
    Might wanna throw up a few more posters man ! I was keeping an eye out for them as I walked around yesterday and today, but only saw the one (as you're coming down the steps from the library to get outside) ! I dunno if many people would notice if they're not more conspicuously placed :) You been getting much of a response/any emails?

There are 50 posters divided between Arts, Science, Ag, Medicine, Conway, Eng, and the Library.

I've gotten a fair response, but not enough. The fact that it's the end of the year and exams are around is a factor. I've had an interview with Zelda of the paper, so more publicity is right around the corner!

Our main publicity will surely be the Fresher's tent next year. We'll have a fresh round of larger, colour posters around that time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 jimminy-boi

33% God wrote: »
    It's a South Park reference from the episode where Cartman freezes himself so he won't have to wait for the Nintendo Wii to come out but accidentally ends up centuries in the future where everyone is atheist thanks to Richard Dawkins and his beautiful wife Mrs Harrison but all the atheists are at war over what to call themselves.

Ah now, surely that's all taken from The Life of Brian...

Anyway, to the Society at hand. I'd love to get involved. I'm studying in France at the moment, but I'll be back in Ireland from June onwards. E-mail being sent now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Create a FAQ for promoting the society during Freshers Week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think a FAQ is a definite possibility - about Humanism in general, and why it's not simply Atheism under a friendlier name. Some representative quotes are also a good idea, I think, such as:
    And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they can do it again.
    -- John F. Kennedy

The current HAI campaign about religious oaths in public life is an example of why this kind of Society matters, in my opinion.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Tom65 wrote: »
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure humanism isn't the same as atheism.
    HERETIC!

Our first meeting will be next Tuesday at 5 pm in room 201 in the Chemistry building.

Orders of business are:

Confirm committee
    Vote on Constitution
    Vote on Mission Statement
    Decide preliminary plan of action

If you want to get involved with the society, this is the time and place to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Congrats on getting the Humanist Society up and running.

I just wanted to subscribe to this thread to keep informed on any public events which I might find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Dang, I'll be too late for this... in final year now :(

The best of luck though and I really hope it works out well for you. If I end up doing another course, or masters, here I'll definitely get involved.

EDIT (should've read the thread, and dates, in full): I see this has been up and running all this year... oops :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

condra wrote: »
    Congrats on getting the Humanist Society up and running.

I just wanted to subscribe to this thread to keep informed on any public events which I might find interesting.

You can subscribe to a thread without posting, just by using the thread tools in the upper right.
    nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

Advertisement