Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Way Of Sending Cheques Through The Post.

Options
  • 09-04-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Is there any precautions one should take when sending cheques through the post. I have seen "A/C Payee Only" written on some, i presume this is written so that only the person the cheque is written to can actually cash the cheque. Correct? Any other precautions i should be doing?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's correct, but no matter what, cheques sent via the post are vunerable to being lost/stolen/delayed etc.

It might be better, if it's something you are doing regularily, to make electronic transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Account payee only means that it can only be lodged in to an account in that persons name, it cant be cashed or endorsed over to someone else so i would write that on it for that bit of extra safety

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

BuffyBot wrote: »

It might be better, if it's something you are doing regularily, to make electronic transfers.

Something that cant be done in my line of business unfortunatly.

Thanks for the info though guys.

So basically, if you are sending a cheque through the post, should you put "account payee only" on it always?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes - but it's not 100% foolproof (My company has twice had crossed cheques cashed by people other than the intended recipient and it was *hell* to try and get sorted via the banking system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 willdufauve

This is a low tech suggestion I use. When I post something sensitive, especially currency, I fold it in with a piece of carbon paper, which is very opaque if the envelope is held up to a bright light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement