Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with an old PC?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    I have an old PC thats been hiding under my stairs for ages.
    Its a P3 450mhz, 64meg RAM, GeForce 2 MX 400, 12gig HDD. I will be building a new rig in the future, when i can save up the funds, and until then, my laptop will do.
    Any suggestions as to what i can do with it? I don't want to chuck it out, hate throwing things away, but as it stands, its next to useless.
    I don't particularly want to spend any money on it, but want to just footer about with it?
    Suggestions on a postcard to ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Save it as a backup PC.
    When the revolution/apocalypse comes and you can no longer buy PCs without mind control chips in them, you'll be glad to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Pick up a huge hard drive. Download a linux OS. Make you own custom jukebox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is there any way i could overclock it? Or could i hook it up to my xbox?
    I was thinking the linux route, just to do it, not sure what version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

if it was me id overclock it till it goes pop but the linux server sounds more sensible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

find the biggest hd u can put into it, then use it as a media center

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Couple of nice big hdds and install Freenas on it and use it as a fileshare for desktops and laptops :)

http://www.freenas.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Nope!! They dont overclock like new computers and are limited in doing so anyway.

Would anybody have any 64meg DINN RAM lying around, that they don't want? (Free would be deadly!)

Have a free DINN slot, and fancy ramping that baby all the way up to 128meg's :eek:, how unbelievable is that!

I have noticed that it starts up a LOT quicker that the lappy, time for a bit of a clearout on that.

Man, when I got that p3 450, it was a BEAST! Took on all comers, munched through games, even those that min spec'ed way above what it was running.

I remember now that I fancied overclocking it at the time, but the p3 wasn't a great base to start clocking from, would only take it to maybe 475, without the need for mega cooling, even water cooling, and then it was looking like £100's to get there.

Its been AGES since i footered about inside computers, I kinda grew out of them for a while, well 7 years or so! My l33t p00ter skillz are rusty.

Just wondering as well, its a MAXDATA atx case. Would that be usable if I wanted to start a new build? I know I'd need to gut it, or should I just get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Its been AGES since i footered about inside computers, I kinda grew out of them for a while, well 7 years or so! My l33t p00ter skillz are rusty.

Just wondering as well, its a MAXDATA atx case. Would that be usable if I wanted to start a new build? I know I'd need to gut it, or should I just get a new one.

Get a new case.
    Cases have come a long way since 7 years ago.

Something like an antec p182 would be what I would consider a good case.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341841
    (tis expensive @ €130 though)

Review here:http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page1.html

Tis nothing fancy to look at but it has good airflow, tripple layer side panels and it has the PSU mounted on the bottom of the case in its own little chamber. These features mean that the case keeps your PC nice and quiet.

(Would recommend replacing all the case fans for scythe flex 1200RPM 120mm case fans though, default fans are not bad but not great. Depends how fussy you are about noise.)

You have a lot of options when it comes to cases these days and can get decent cases on a tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You could give it to charity?

A guy on the Computers & Technology sub forum was looking for old "useless" pc's as he's tutoring in a volentory computer course for the elderly.

It's make you feel good!!!!

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    You could give it to charity?

A guy on the Computers & Technology sub forum was looking for old "useless" pc's as he's tutoring in a volentory computer course for the elderly.

It's make you feel good!!!!

I might actually give it to my ma, and show her how to use it, seeing as it was her who got it for me in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would use it for watching movies connected to a TV or similar...450mhz is enough for smooth playback of normal divx/xvid files. Also use it as an emulator, or a machine dedicated to older games. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I wiped the old PC, Added some RAM that i got for free, Then set it up on a desk in the hallway of my attic for the rest of the family to use for internet, Because they used to annoy me asking to go on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I would use it for watching movies connected to a TV or similar...450mhz is enough for smooth playback of normal divx/xvid files. Also use it as an emulator, or a machine dedicated to older games. :)

I did just that, mine is a dvd player and stereo in one, conected it to Xbox aswell so I can stream things to that as well. The good thing is that it is a back up for my main rig too.

I did just that, mine is a dvd player and stereo in one, conected it to Xbox aswell so I can stream things to that as well. The good thing is that it is a back up for my main rig too.

Can I ask how you did this? Thats what I'd be interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Can I ask how you did this? Thats what I'd be interested in

bought this:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

but any router would do if it allows more then one comp on it

And then set up a home network through windows. You can even get a wireless conection for your Xbox.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=xbox+360+wireless+adapter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

you can probaly get them cheaper if you shop around.

You can allow access to all files and then you can stream even movies to your xbox or from one comp to another.

Ok, so the plan at the moment is:

Use the old machine for some retro gaming.
    Set up a home network.
    Profit

I've set it up in the spare room, and I'm in the process of turning it into a "Super Evil Command Centre."

I have the old comp set up (and half pulled apart), 2 laptops, a TV, going to whack in the PS2 for some retro action as well, but the (he)Xbox is staying in the sitting room, and the new build will be in there as well, as soon as I get the funds together for it.

OFF TOPIC
    I have the original HalfLife somewhere, can't find the Orange Disk, all I can find is the Green One. Does anybody still have it that they're willing to part with?

Advertisement