Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BNP writes article on the state of the Irish Economy

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Boston wrote: »
    Then ignore it. This is politics not after hours, you don't get to decide which threads should be derailed and which shouldn't.

Fair enough, derailing wasnt my intention. Ill leave this thread to grow to 15 pages with endless arguments about immigration, the EU and whatnot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

deadhead13 wrote: »

And their isn't much discussion going on, since the OP seems to have disappeared.

Hence my post stating it was a stupid thread in the first place and essentially a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Wow, allot of replies.
    Lets see if I can answer all questions thrown at me.
    @turgon:
    Was it the part where both Dublin, Galway and Cork were described as "nowhere"?
    Compared to London or other big cities Dublin is "nowhere" never mind the so called "cities" of Galway and Cork.
    Or where it suggested we put yet another dent in our competitiveness by withdrawing from the single currency?
    How is it uncompetitive ? China has devalued her currency in order to keep up competition. Is China not competitive enough ?
    The part where is suggested fags are being sold in 1's? Thats illegal, not that the BNP takes much heed to law and order.
    Have you been around the estates in Dublin recently. I haven't, for all we know they may be selling fags illegaly in units but the Garda don't care.
    Not liking your tone turgon, you are very quick to attack the ideals of others.
    (Not saying I support the BNP, to be honest I can't stand them but I did agree with this article.)
    @deadhead13:
    If you don't want to waste your time then by all means don't, it will save me the time of replying to you.
    I have no problem with this thread. By linking the article, all the OP has done is to expose the BNP for what they really are, ie. idiotic to the extreme.
    That wasn't exactly my intension but I respect others opinions.
    P.S I haven't "disappeared" I simply didn't log on for one day.
    The rest of the respones aren't worth replying to to be honest, I'm going to thrawl through pages and see if I can find a point to worth arguing.
    @Jank
    Hence my post stating it was a stupid thread in the first place and essentially a wind up.
    Your time is the last thing I want to waste Jank, But just in case you do feel that your useless Off-Topic responeses are being ignored please do not feel obliged to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Same old BNP using an economic downturn to peddle their xenophobic filth. Just to let people know their future idea for the republic, this is taken from there website:

"In the long run, we wish to end the conflict in Ireland by welcoming Eire as well as Ulster as equal partners in a federation of the nations of the British Isles."

Notice the use of the term of Eire and Ulster as if they're two different parts of Ireland. Shows the depth of knowledge they have of the geography of Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Same old BNP using an economic downturn to peddle their xenophobic filth. Just to let people know their future idea for the republic, this is taken from there website:

"In the long run, we wish to end the conflict in Ireland by welcoming Eire as well as Ulster as equal partners in a federation of the nations of the British Isles."

Notice the use of the term of Eire and Ulster as if they're two different parts of Ireland. Shows the depth of knowledge they have of the geography of Ireland.:rolleyes:

Yes, it's good to have that clarified Can'tseeme. The BNP policy is to welcome Eire as a fifth home nation in addition to England, Scotland, Wales and Ulster. It will not create a United Ireland. For some reason some Unionists in Ulster (and on the mainland) still persist in peddling the myth that The BNP want a United Ireland of some description. I wonder why they might do that...

• Advertisement

I have seen this statement and I want to clarify, I in no way indorse the BNP or agree with any of their policies. I merely wish to introduce a debate on the avocation of certain policies related to the BNP, such as a cut in immigration levels, leaving the monetary union etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Compared to London or other big cities Dublin is "nowhere" never mind the so called "cities" of Galway and Cork.

So are you saying that Cork and Galway dont merit to be joined by motorways to Dublin?
    How is it uncompetitive ? China has devalued her currency in order to keep up competition. Is China not competitive enough ?

Obviously the fact the China has more than 200 times the population and influence than Ireland skipped your mind. Its a ridiculous comparison.

China is big enough to merit its own currency. Ireland is not. See?
    I haven't, for all we know they may be selling fags illegaly in units but the Garda don't care.

For all we know Willie O'Dea flew to the moon, but I certainly wouldnt blame the budget shortfall on the huge amount of oil this would-be-event might have entailed. In other words one cant base economic conditions on things one has conjured up.
    Not liking your tone turgon, you are very quick to attack the ideals of others.

What ideals? Racism? Protectionism? The BNP is the shining light of ideals.

So are you saying that Cork and Galway dont merit to be joined by motorways to Dublin?
    As a decentralised country, a high quality transportation service is mandatory for Ireland, of course they merit a motorway. The people in Cork and Galway deserve to be linked to their own Capital, even if said Capital is "nowhere".
    Obviously the fact the China has more than 200 times the population and influence than Ireland skipped your mind. Its a ridiculous comparison.

China is big enough to merit its own currency. Ireland is not. See?
    So the fact that Ireland had her own currency 20 years before joining the Euro didn't cross your mind either ?
    As for the influence, Ireland will still be a member of the EU and as such will be safe from Protectionism.
    I'm not advocating leaving the Union, such a move would be economic suicide, but what I am advocating is reclaiming our own currency.
    For all we know Willie O'Dea flew to the moon, but I certainly wouldnt blame the budget shortfall on the huge amount of oil this would-be-event might have entailed. In other words one cant base economic conditions on things one has conjured up.
    I don't remember anyone "blaming" the economic conditions on the sale of single fags, simply that it is a sign of the times one is living in.
    What ideals? Racism? Protectionism? The BNP is the shining light of ideals.
    Regardless of their Ideals we still have to respect them, sucks I know but thats the problem with living in a free country.

As a decentralised country, a high quality transportation service is mandatory for Ireland, of course they merit a motorway.

So you agree the relevant BNP argument is ridiculous?
    So the fact that Ireland had her own currency 20 years before joining the Euro didn't cross your mind either?

And Ireland was such an economic success 20 years ago :rolleyes:

Do you think having our own currency would help competitiveness? By forcing MNC's to pay transaction fees on everything they do when based in Ireland? Or are you under the illusion that Ireland can sustain its own economy without any MNC?

So you agree the relevant BNP argument is ridiculous?
    I think the BNP is ridiculous, you would know this if you had bothered to read my previous posts in which I made that quite clear.
    There are however certain points in the article, such as cutting down on immigration, reclaiming our own monetary system etc. that I find quite appealing.
    And Ireland was such an economic success 20 years ago rolleyes.gif

Do you think having our own currency would help competitiveness?
    From wiki:
    Celtic Tiger is a term used to describe the period of rapid economic growth in Ireland that began in the 1990s and slowed in 2001.
    Ireland joined the euro in 2002, The Tiger slowed in 2001.
    See a picture ?
    By forcing MNC's to pay transaction fees on everything they do when based in Ireland? Or are you under the illusion that Ireland can sustain its own economy without any MNC?
    I am not aware of such transition fees, could you please elaborate ?

• Advertisement

Ireland joined the euro in 2002, The Tiger slowed in 2001.

Its called the .com bubble. Celtic TTiger slowed in 2001, but certainly speeded up again since then. Do you honestly believe this slowdown stated 8 years ago?
    I am not aware of such transition fees, could you please elaborate ?

Currency exchange fees?

Its called the .com bubble. Celtic TTiger slowed in 2001, but certainly speeded up again since then. Do you honestly believe this slowdown stated 8 years ago?
    You believe that being tied to the Euro has been good for this country ? what about Britain, I don't see their economy going off the rails, or Sweden, I don't see their economy falling as far as ours.
    As for the TMC, they are the reason we are in a down turn in the first place. They employ as few people as possible, write off all expenses against tax so they can get away with paying as little tax as possible, and when the going gets tough, they feck off to a country where they can pay much lower wages with dirty conditions. You think we are better off with these people ?
    Currency exchange fees?
    European Currency Unit?

You believe that being tied to the Euro has been good for this country ? what about Britain, I don't see their economy going off the rails, or Sweden

Firstly Britains exchange rate has effectively collapsed relative to the Euro. Secondly sterling is a major currency, which cannot be said of the old Irish punt. The UK has some 65 million people in it, and is a major economy, unlike Ireland.

Sweden appears to have it own internal businesses, whereas Ireland relies on outside companies...
    You think we are better off with these people ?

Whats the alternative, unemployment?
    European Currency Unit?

So you want to be tied to Euro, but not apart of the Euro?

So you want to be tied to Euro, but not apart of the Euro?

No not pegged to the euro, apart from the euro and free to set our own currencies valuation but free from protectionism thanks to eu membership.
    Whats the alternative, unemployment?
    No, I suggest a Nordic based services economy, where we have small to medium businesses employing our people, not ignorent American TNC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

what about Britain, I don't see their economy going off the rails

Economic forecasters Ernst & young Predicts in 2009 - a 2.7% fall in the UK's GDP, business investment to fall by 17% and over 500,000 people will lose their jobs. Housing market expecting to decline by 25% from peak to trough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

No not pegged to the euro, apart from the euro and free to set our own currencies valuation but free from protectionism thanks to eu membership.

No, I suggest a Nordic based services economy, where we have small to medium businesses employing our people, not ignorent American TNC's

Quick go to the government with your idea for the good of the country, go now.
    Seriously, we need industries where we don't have to rely on multi nationals but I really don't see it happening.

Advertisement