Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MIBI Question

• 09-04-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi guys I hope this question is within the rules. Im just wondering if someone has been involved in a car crash with an unisured driver, which is then settled by the MIBI. Can the MIBI then come after the uninsured driver for money paid in the settlement and if so, how long do the MIBI have to lodge this intent? Is there a time limit?Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

1. Yes.

2. I am not sure about time limits as that might depend on the circumstances.

If MIBI got a signed mandate form from the uninsured driver then I would expect the time limit to be about 6 years i.e. an action based in contract.

If MIBI and the uninsured driver were co-defendants on the same writ then then the normal rules would apply as between co-defendants suing each other for indemnity and contribution. In practice that should only be as long as it takes to get the case listed for hearing.

In practice the MIBI probably will not bother if the uninsured party is impecunious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In practice the MIBI probably will not bother if the uninsured party is impecunious.
    The thing is that the MIBI do routinely take cases against uninsured drivers and they do obtain judgements and instalment orders to enforce payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Statute of Limitations re property damage is 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 horse box!

are you the unisured driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benotoole

hi guys, my car was recently wrote off by uninsured driver while my car was parked and I asleep in bed, there are no injuries involved just the damage to my car. I'm renting a car a the moment. I also have all of the driver's details and the car owner's details. Given these circumstances anyone have a guestimate of how long claim involving IMBI will take and will I be paid for car rental in the mean time,

tnx Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You could ring them and ask them about their average turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TB14771

Hi,

I have a similar question to the original poster. Wondering how many years MIBI can pursue an uninsured driver for payment. If anybody knows I'd appreciate your help. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

MIBI have six years to launch proceedings against the uninsured driver. But if they are going to to it they are unlikely to wait five-and-a-half years; they will usually start within weeks months of the settlement with the injured party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The MIBI can and do seek judgements against uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 weent19

Currently have a terrible vodafone huawei router i think its worth about 50 euro and has terrible reviews when i google model

• Advertisement
Advertisement