Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking History

Options
  • 09-04-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey all,

Is it possible to look at what has been looked up on your network as a whole?? Not just checking the history on one computer but looking at everything that has been looked up on your network???

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Only if you have a proxy server or similar running on your network which logs all the internet activity by mac/ip address.

In short, not on a standard home LAN setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Mickey07ie wrote: »
    Hey all,

Is it possible to look at what has been looked up on your network as a whole?? Not just checking the history on one computer but looking at everything that has been looked up on your network???

Yes your ISP keeps a record for two years.

This was passed into law last year.

Not just internet but all phone calls and texts are logged.

The police state can go and well you know.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mickey07ie

so is it possible for me to check it tho??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Mickey07ie wrote: »
    so is it possible for me to check it tho??

No it's there for the state to spy on you but you are not allowed to even look at your own records.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Not so sure Ranicand - There may be certain traffic logged against the IP it originates from but not to the particular user. And I doubt very many ISPs are keeping the kind of detailed logs that you are suggesting.

If for legal/evidence purposes it needed to be tied than the IP could be looked up and checked against the leasing. Given that Eircom are just implementing this kind of system now to implement the 3 strikes rule for filesharing I wouldn't be so sure of the big brother style conspiracy theory your putting forward.

And under the data protection act any and all information held by a company is accessible to the user given sufficient notice in writing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement