Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portumna

Options
  • 09-04-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Im getting a cruiser from Portumna tomorrow and heading upstream. Any idea whats being caught at the moment and best baits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I only seen your question no so i might be too late, but if not yourbets bet would be to try any of the lakes on the shannon or back water as i reckon the fish might be ready to spawn, large bays on the river would be a good option also. As for baits, maggot,caster,corn and worm would be my choice and a good stiff groundbait mix to get down to the bottom, my method would be float but a feeder is a good option also. If you're piking then i would be hitting the deeper parts of the river, or find a lake or backwater where prey fish might be spawning because the pike will follow. Standard deadbaits e.g roach,rudd,makerel float fished or wobbled. Garry Kenny in portumna stocks bait and tackle. The shop is part of a petrol station who's name i cant remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

super-rush wrote: »
    I only seen your question no so i might be too late, but if not yourbets bet would be to try any of the lakes on the shannon or back water as i reckon the fish might be ready to spawn, large bays on the river would be a good option also. As for baits, maggot,caster,corn and worm would be my choice and a good stiff groundbait mix to get down to the bottom, my method would be float but a feeder is a good option also. If you're piking then i would be hitting the deeper parts of the river, or find a lake or backwater where prey fish might be spawning because the pike will follow. Standard deadbaits e.g roach,rudd,makerel float fished or wobbled. Garry Kenny in portumna stocks bait and tackle. The shop is part of a petrol station who's name i cant remember.

Thanks for the reply. I didnt get it before i left but i used the baits you suggested anyway. Nothing was taking the mackeral though. I bought my bait at that petrol station aswell

Advertisement