Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Cost of living down" - Have you ever heard such bull

• 09-04-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

I seen today that apparently goods have fallen 2.6% in price in the last month

Correct me if im wrong, but nothing has fallen anything near that outside of ECB related tracker Mortgage cuts and the paltry 10% that Bord Gais cut from your ESB bill

Groceries most definitely are up if anything. Fuel is up. Wages are down. Not to mention the growing number of zombie workers (the unemployed) out there

I mean what a load of crap. And the government are lapping it up thinking "Now well tax the sh1t out of these fools who think living is cheaper"

And then, when we actually think enough is enough and try to save a few precious €€s up North, we are being told that it is unpatriotic. Talk about the pot calling the kettle. It is unpatriotic to tax hard working people into the poverty line. It is unpatriotic to lower the poor feckers who have lost their job's dole. And it is unpatriotic to put these new levies as "permanent"

Yes this is a bitch/moan thread, but i have really lost the rag this week. Knowing that this is just the start of things

Bertie Aherns chuckle in the Galway Races tent all those years back are still echoing loudly in every member of the dole queues ears.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

moo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Haven't you seen how cheap sofas are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Groceries are down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

mike65 wrote: »
    Haven't you seen how cheap sofas are?

And the chicken fillet roll price war!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Prostitutes are lowering their rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

javaboy wrote: »
    Groceries are down.

Maybe in Cashsavers sections of stores or own brand products

What about main stuff? If you can provide me with (say) 5 examples of this, I will withdraw my statement

The bargains are there if you look.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.pc.index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Would you notice a 2% decline in your grocery bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

not noticing it isn't the same as it not happening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Thanks Mike. That's what I was going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

well lidl and aldi have always been cheap. thats hardly news. Its the likes of Dunnes, Super Value and Tesco you need to be watching, if and when their prices start coming in line with this "reduced cost of living" spiel then i might believe it!

You should spent time in the Bargain Alerts forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Tesco is even cheaper for things like Lynx than lidl now. One of their many items to have been brought down recently

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Tax evasion is soon to be up, up, up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I agree that bargains are there if you look. Of course the likes of Lidl and Aldi have value for money.

However many of us live in towns where there are no aldis or lidls and Supervalu have the monopoly. I can't drive yet so unless I get a lift am forced to shop there. While they have got special offers on, it's usually on pizzas, fish fingers, meal deal whereas fruit and Veg are very expensive.

I have noticed prices creeping up on the necessities or tricks such as putting cereal on special offer and then the next week raising the price above what it was! Sick of it really. It's terrible to think we pay much more for Irish products in Ireland than people pay for the same products abroad. Unless the govt do something serious to tackle the cost of living, there will be a mass exodus over the border every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think Lenihan based it on the fact that personal savings have went up. And with typical FF tardary, deduced that it was because everything got cheaper rather than people not spending as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

monkey9 wrote: »

Among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Super valu have definately come down, most hardware items are down,
    bought floor tiles lately for a song (always bargain :D) filled the oil tank on tuesday for 600 euro ,last fill was 1,050, got a letter from the bank yesterday, car repayments down 45 euro per month, its happening all right, cost of living is coming down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

destroyer wrote: »
    Super valu have definately come down, most hardware items are down,
    bought floor tiles lately for a song (always bargain :D) filled the oil tank on tuesday for 600 euro ,last fill was 1,050, got a letter from the bank yesterday, car repayments down 45 euro per month, its happening all right, cost of living is coming down.
    No it isnt. Youre just in the zone.....

I'll go now

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

No it isnt. Youre just in the zone.....

I'll go now

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Lidl and Aldi are giving the big supermarkets a run for their money but i think the trick is ,to go to dunnes or tescos and then aldi or lidl thats what i have started to do each week adding another item to the aldi shopping basket and it does make a difference to my purse,but i do not find a difference with the esb or eircom these seem to be gone up ,as has eircom and the price of coal

cheers
    jackie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

My rent has gone down, superquinn is certainly possible as a shopping destination to me now and the price of cars is plummeting.
    Businesses are responding to the thrift economy by lowering prices to try encourage turnover-this is real deflation, and provided the consumer is smart they can take advantage of it.
    Normally i'd be the first to criticise FF but in this instance they have stated the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Fuel is up.

€1per litre < €1.37per litre (approx) last year.

The cost of living is down for a single person/couple with:
    • a tracker/variable mortgage (interest rate cuts)
    • new cars (cuts in vrt rates and reduced cost of fuel from 2008 levels)
    • no children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Superquinn are down aswell. People just need to shop around! Splitting my shop between SuperQuinn and JC's has resulted in my grocery bill going from €300 back in November to €130. So even with the new taxes in the budget, We'd be paying like €60 a week lets say..that's basically just my shopping being €190. Even with the higher taxes, I'm still saving more money than I was before all this happened.

And have you seen the price of fuel now compared to July? Or any fuel price in early 2008? It has seen a huge decrease.

Lastly, in case you haven't noticed, the regulator cut gas prices by 12% in March and ESB Electricity prices by 10% (which works out at a 20%-24% cut for Bord Gáis Energy customers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

there lowering more than that heh heh heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

DrumSteve wrote: »
    there lowering more than that heh heh heh
    Like what? Their standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not to mention hemlines but their cleaveages are going up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

My house insurance cost €50 more than it did last year even though the house is probably worth much less. The reason they gave was the increased amount of claims for flood damage in the last year. My house or area didn't suffer flood damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Latchy wrote: »
    Not to mention hemlines but their cleaveages are going up .

Condoms are up as well, although trousers are coming down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Like what? Their standards?

no the rate of inflation. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My cost of living has fallen - i've started shopping in the North :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Maybe in Cashsavers sections of stores or own brand products

What about main stuff? If you can provide me with (say) 5 examples of this, I will withdraw my statement

Dunnes. They've 'price drops across grocery, drapery and homewares', you've probably seen/heard the ads.

Most shops are having nearly constant sales and some have lowered their prices outside of sale reductions. Delis have gotten really cheap and they have good deals on rock shandy cans and pringles and stuff, makes for a cheap lunch. All Spars are doing this, and Centras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

groceries are definitely down. there are permanent price cuts going on in all supermarkets and there's some really good offers. price of clothes I've also noticed is down

JohnCleary wrote: »
    My cost of living has fallen - i've started shopping in the North :D

I'm to far away from the North, so I've stapled my lips together until they start giving stuff away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Came across a website(company here) who will now collect your shopping from Asda in NI for a fee you order online from Asdas website and they collect and deliver the stuff to you,can see this impacting further on Irish shops, some prices have come down but NI still cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This thread is bull like this forum. The statistic in question is that prices have fallen by 2.6% in February since last year and were the same as in January. Prices have indeed fallen since last year, mortgages, petrol, heating oil ....

my rent is down more than the levy so happy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

This is just average. Every household has it's own inflation rate. For a young person in early twenties it can be -10% due to falling interest rates, constant falling prices in electronics, falling prices in beer from supermarkets etc etc. Just depends on the composition of your spending. Shop around , prices are falling, I've noticed much better value in tesco and marks and spencer since last year. Prices for most things(houses, rent,food,clothes,labour etc) will continue falling for next few years in this country

ardmacha wrote: »
    This thread is bull like this forum. The statistic in question is that prices have fallen by 2.6% in February since last year and were the same as in January. Prices have indeed fallen since last year, mortgages, petrol, heating oil ....

I think this is the one you want

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Will continue to make my two hour journey up to the North until things change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Certainly there are savings to be made on the important things.
    I just bought a box of Miller in tescos for €15.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Certainly there are savings to be made on the important things.
    I just bought a box of Miller in tescos for €15.00

20 box? 24 box?

details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just back from a spin to Enniskillen....

60 cans of Strongbow (I cant taste the diff between it and Bulmers, only its way cheaper)
    1 Litre of Smirnoff Vodka
    2 x 3litre container Rose Wine (Blossim Hill - will be drank quickly thanks to the GF)
    3 cans of Lyns
    Some sausages and bread for brekkie tomorrow

A grand total of £85, plus just under 10euro diesel for the drive

Patriotic duty me hole, I don't dare think how much that would have cost me down here

60 cans of Strongbow (I cant taste the diff between it and Bulmers, only its way cheaper)
    2 x 3litre container Rose Wine (Blossim Hill - will be drank quickly thanks to the GF)
    3 cans of Lyns

Patriotic duty me hole, I don't dare think how much that would have cost me down here

Do they do cheap liver transplants in Enniskillen as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And no doubt you were singing this old ditty on the way back

'' Fare thee well Enniskilling ,fare thee well for a while
    and all along the borders of Eirns green isle
    and when the crunch is over we'll return in full bloom
    and we'll spend like no other and forget all this gloom ''

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

3 cans of Lyns

Ah the essentials in life.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah im sure you got from Galway to Eniskillen on 10e diesel!! !:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

My favourite Irish cheese went from 1.80 to 3.70 at Tesco last week.
    Babybel went up to 5 euro.
    My local Spar increased Hagen Daz Praline ice cream from 5.99 to 7.69 for a 500ml pot.

****. Leave my food alone.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

a 500 ml bottle of coka is down to 1.50 ( from 1.55 ) in the local shop...

every little helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

S.I.R wrote: »
    a 500 ml bottle of coka is down to 1.50 ( from 1.55 ) in the local shop...

every little helps...

It's a 3% deduction. LOL

Buy a 2 litre if you want value.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement