Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sketchers Group heading for Galway!

Options
  • 09-04-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all - just wondering if you have any tips!

The Dublinsketchers group are heading for Galway this weekend, for a weekend of sketching!

Any tips on good places to go - in Dublin we usually aim for museums, galleries, heritage spots like old Churches etc.

Appreciate any help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What exactly do ye do? look at something interesting and sketch it?

If so:

NUIG Quad
    Cathedral
    Salmon Weir

All within 5 mins of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

St. Nicholas Church;
    Lynch's Castle;
    Supermacs Eyre Square.

All in the city centre and an integral part of Galway's heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You should try to get out to the prom in Salthill at some stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Thanks guys, great ideas so far - have checked out galway tourist website, had a little info on some of the places above.

Are there any big old pubs that wouldn't mind people sitting having drinks/coffees for a few hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

The Galway Market on Saturday if you fancy a challenge. It's just off Shop Street.

Have a search on Flickr or Google Images, if you spot something interesting we'll try locate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

gary82 wrote: »
    The Galway Market on Saturday if you fancy a challenge. It's just off Shop Street.

Have a search on Flickr or Google Images, if you spot something interesting we'll try locate it.

Thanks - do you have an idea what times the market is on? Is it just an early morning thing?

Also, I see that the City Museum is only open on Sat. - anyone been? Is is worth a look - big enough to allow people sketch?

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Thanks - do you have an idea what times the market is on? Is it just an early morning thing?

It starts up in the morning and some stalls start closing up around 4pm.
    Cork_girl wrote: »
    Also, I see that the City Museum is only open on Sat. - anyone been? Is is worth a look - big enough to allow people sketch?

No I don't think it's worth the time - it's a lot of display boards etc. Some interesting stuff but I wouldn't bother unless it's a really bad day - there's a lot more to be sketching. Have a walk out the cladagh direction too maybe (over the bridge at Jury's and take a left), some old boats and view of The Long Walk which might be interesting. The Spanish Arch is opposite Jury's also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The museum itself probably isn't worth drawing. But if the weather turns bad, there are some nice warm foyers with views over the river/Claddagh, and chairs in them to boot!

Don't miss the oil tanks down near the docks. They're going to be historic very soon, 'cos they're going away. (Actually, they're not all going, I'm just not sure which are and which aren't.)

The docks itself would be interesting - anyone know if there's a scrap metal pile there at the moment? Or Dock Rd as seen from the wharf.

JustMary wrote: »
    The docks itself would be interesting - anyone know if there's a scrap metal pile there at the moment?

Nope, no scrap metal at the moment. Here's a live webcam... (the scrap will build up against the retaining wall on the left, in front of the big shed)
    current.jpg

Also I thought they were getting rid of all the tanks.... :confused:

Advertisement