Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wi-Fi Adapter: Steady Red Light?

• 09-04-2009 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, any chance anyone can impart some knowledge upon me? I have an Xbox 360 with a Wi-Fi adapter; I've attached the adapter but it has a steady red light. According to the guides I've seen on the internet, I should be able to scan for wireless networks, but in the Edit Settings section of Network Settings, the Wireless Mode part is greyed out and I cannot change or apply anything.

Does this then mean I am out or range? My laptop is on the wireless network and I have no problems with that, what can be done?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Hi lads, any chance anyone can impart some knowledge upon me? I have an Xbox 360 with a Wi-Fi adapter; I've attached the adapter but it has a steady red light. According to the guides I've seen on the internet, I should be able to scan for wireless networks, but in the Edit Settings section of Network Settings, the Wireless Mode part is greyed out and I cannot change or apply anything.

Does this then mean I am out or range? My laptop is on the wireless network and I have no problems with that, what can be done?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's not due to you being out of range of the wifi. I've seen this happen before with my friends console and a wifi adapter. The adapter had been working perfectly in my house for almost a year but when I gave it to him, the light wouldn't turn green for some reason with his console. He gave up trying to get it to work and went back to a home plug system.

Try this, reboot your wireless modem without having your console switched on. Sometimes a lot of wireless problems are solved this way. What kind of wireless router are you using? Are you sure it's compatible? A quick google search will answer that for you. I had a Sweex router that I just couldn't get to work right with XBL but have both a Linksys and Belkin running now and they're perfect... although still require regular reboots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm pretty sure it's not due to you being out of range of the wifi. I've seen this happen before with my friends console and a wifi adapter. The adapter had been working perfectly in my house for almost a year but when I gave it to him, the light wouldn't turn green for some reason with his console. He gave up trying to get it to work and went back to a home plug system.

Try this, reboot your wireless modem without having your console switched on. Sometimes a lot of wireless problems are solved this way. What kind of wireless router are you using? Are you sure it's compatible? A quick google search will answer that for you. I had a Sweex router that I just couldn't get to work right with XBL but have both a Linksys and Belkin running now and they're perfect... although still require regular reboots.

Ah, see I don't have the modem in my house. It comes in from a B&B next door to us which I've signed onto (and pay to use..) so I can't go fiddle with the actual modem.

I'll keep trying tomorrow, if all else fails I heard you can use your laptop's Wi-Fi, run the Xbox through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Ah, see I don't have the modem in my house. It comes in from a B&B next door to us which I've signed onto (and pay to use..) so I can't go fiddle with the actual modem.

I'll keep trying tomorrow, if all else fails I heard you can use your laptop's Wi-Fi, run the Xbox through that.

Yeah, you can do that but it if the router hasn't got the right ports open for xbox live you could still have another problem...

To run your xbox live connection through the laptop, all you have to do is open up the window that shows both your lan and wifi connection, highlight both, right click on them and choose the Bridge Connection option. Have your lan cable plugged into both the laptop and console during this process but have your console switched off. Once it's bridged the connections, turn on the console and it should log on to XBL.

Then go to the network settings and run the xbox live test. If it opens a problem window, it means you don't have an open NAT which would be down to certain ports not being open on the router. You'll still be able to connect to Xbox Live and play live games but will suffer from not being able to join certain severs. I won't go into explaining this, as a quick google search will provide you with all the info on it and I won't be boring you to tears explaining it.

If you get permission to change the router settings, I can talk you through opening the ports on it. There's also loads for support and walkthroughs on the web about how to do this and it's fairly straight forward.

Hope this helps

Advertisement