Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Dpiloma psychology - DBS?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I want to start a new career in psychology and don't want to start from the beginning (I have already a degree in philosophy). Im not sure about higher dip in DBS, I know its not accredited by PSI - is it worth it then? I'd like some opinions from people who are / were on this course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have not been on this course, but if you have a choice, why would you choose a fairly unprestigious private college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aleksk

That's the think - Im not sure if I have much choice here, or maybe there's something Im missing (if yes please correct me). Id love to start career in psychology, but I work full time and can only study part-time. Ive checked the options and higher dip in psychology part-time is not really offered apart dbs and open university (maybe that would be better). I know that Id probably overpay and the course in dbs is not accredited. But - do I have a choice here? Is open uni better? I'd like some opinions on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Check out the one in the senior college dun laoghaire. It may or may not suit but its another option

http://www.scd.ie/Psychology_Course/Default.282.html

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Just to point out this is not a qualification for a HDip in Psychology. It's a level 5 course which would be good for introducing a person to psychology.
    vinchick wrote: »
    Check out the one in the senior college dun laoghaire. It may or may not suit but its another option

vinchick wrote: »

Thanks for this, Im actually lloking for postgrad course as I think (I might b wrong), that it makes no sense to start from beginners course if I have masters already (which included 1 year module of psychology).

Im reading a lot about the career in psychology and I understand that you dont have to be accredited by PSI to be psychologist, but does it help in getting into further courses or jobs? I dont want to finish hdip course and pay a lot for it and then be let with no future options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Doghouse

aleksk wrote: »
    Thanks for this, Im actually lloking for postgrad course as I think (I might b wrong), that it makes no sense to start from beginners course if I have masters already (which included 1 year module of psychology).

Im reading a lot about the career in psychology and I understand that you dont have to be accredited by PSI to be psychologist, but does it help in getting into further courses or jobs? I dont want to finish hdip course and pay a lot for it and then be let with no future options.

You're much better off doing a Hdip that's accredited by the PSI, like the OU one if there's no way you can do a full-time one. Of course it depends on what type of psychology you want to go into but if it's clinical, neuro or counselling (just thinking of three examples I'm somewhat familiar with) you'll need to be eligible for membership and/or registration with the PSI in order to do your professional training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Hi all,

I'm also hoping to a part time Hdip in psychology soon, and am a bit perplexed by the process. The one in DBS seems to suit, but if it isn't accredited by PSI then i'm a bit put off by it tbh.

Can someone give me a link to the one in OU, or does anyone have any more information about it?

Oh this must be it: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01DSE212
    it mentions that it's accredited by the British Psych Society alright - if I completed this course would I be then eligible to do a Master's in, say, Clinical Psychology over here?
    I already have a BA UCD so getting into this shouldn't be a problem. Any help would be appreciated.

also if anyone can shed any light as to the cost of the part time HDip in DBS that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

http://www.dbs.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=1086
    Please note this programme is subject to Validation
    Please also note that as this is a new programme offering for 2009 and we will be seeking accreditation from the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI)

Learner protection for this programme is provided in accordance with Section 43 of the Qualifications (Education and Training ) Act 1999.

I am also interested in this course and it seems to the the best part time (out of very few) available. It offers 3 nights a week lecture contact time and the course can be completed within 2 years (the same as most full time courses of this nature). I am waiting to see if it gets its accreditation, there is not much point in doing it it doesn't get PSI accreditation if you want to work as a psychologist.

The college may not have the most prestigious reputation as some are saying (though I've never heard anything bad about it) but as I see it, getting it done in 2 years, applying to a college of your choice after is a good option rather than spending 4 years doing the Open Uni one.

• Advertisement

BleakestH, from looking at DBS website, HDip costs 5,750 euro per annum. which is quite a lot (anyway for me) if the course is not accredited.
    If they get accreditation, I hope it will be this year, as I already applied for part-time BA, and would definitely prefer to do HDip if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

There is a HDip in Psychology in UCC that us accredited by the PSI. It takes 4 years to complete part time.
    You can check it out here: http://www.ucc.ie/en/CKA01/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

BleakestH wrote: »
    Oh this must be it: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01DSE212
    it mentions that it's accredited by the British Psych Society alright - if I completed this course would I be then eligible to do a Master's in, say, Clinical Psychology over here?
    I already have a BA UCD so getting into this shouldn't be a problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, the OU porgramme is recognised by the PSI - they have a mutual recognition agreement with the BPS. The OU Dip will meet the basic academic entry requirements for Clinical and other reas of professional psychology training, but most succesful aplpicants have masters degrees e.g. Applied Psychology and relevant work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 catussa

Also thought about doing the Higher Diploma in Psychology in DBS, but would have opted for a B. A. in Psychology rather, because it is recognized by PSI. However, I am doing a B. Sc. in Counselling and Psychotherapy, because I feel that this is what I want to do, allthough I have less choices when it comes to postgrad training or job options.

I'm back from my holidays and now I see that on DBS website they say that they applied for accreditation for postgrad psychology course. This makes me so confused, as I already told them I'll be interested only in BA, but after my degree it would really make more sense if I went for postgrad (2 years is always better, and I'm not getting any younger :))
    Anyway, on PSI website I found out that it takes up to 6 months to accredit a course. I sent them an email asking if the confirm they're in the middle of accreditation, hopefully will get their reply soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

I did some more research into this course:

Fees €4500 per year

With ALL new psychology courses, they have to run for a year in order to get their accreditation. They see no reason why they will not get this after the first year as they have modeled the course off the likes of Trinity and other accredited H.Dips. They also have the BA accredited by the PSI so they know what they need to get validated. If they don't, then there is the option to transfer into the BA Programme (with exemptions for some subjects).

So I think 2 years over 4 part time is better. If the worst comes to the worst, then you do the BA but all of this will be a max of 4 years. I think it is worth the chance as spending 4 years part time is daunting when you have further study to do if you want to work in this field...

Advertisement