Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter lily

Options
  • 09-04-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can buy an easter lily in dublin ???

Will anyone be wearing the Easter Lily to remember those who died in 1916 ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I will, we all should regardless of political leanings, we owe a lot to those that died.

They should be for sale around Dublin, I know some of the Ogra lads from the colleges are meant to be selling them around the streets. If you dont spot any of those hanging around you can get them in the Sinn Fein shop on Parnell Square, in fact they sell a lovely metal one for only a few euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Id wear one for the innocent Dubliners that were killed. I am not motivated to wear one that supports the concept of a tiny militant vanguard having the right to kill people as they alone determine.

Sand wrote: »
    Id wear one for the innocent Dubliners that were killed. I am not motivated to wear one that supports the concept of a tiny militant vanguard having the right to kill people as they alone determine.

Would you remember the people murdered and discriminated against by a foreign government as well? Do ye have to come trolling every thread set up like this one?

Would you remember the people murdered and discriminated against by a foreign government as well?

Ah textbook whataboutery.

Yeah, I said the innocent Dubliners killed. I didnt qualify that in any way.
    Do ye have to come trolling every thread set up like this one?

Oh, when the question was posted on a public forum I thought it was open for discussion. I didnt realise it was intended as a circle jerk of group think. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Shane-1 wrote: »
    Would you remember the people murdered and discriminated against by a foreign government as well? Do ye have to come trolling every thread set up like this one?

Never mind him mate. He's one of those types he would have no problem wearing a poppy.

I wear one every year as everyone should although mine isn't a paper one.

You can get them off Sinn Fein, but you can buy them off the National Graves Association all money is put towards the keeping of monuments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

To be fair Sand the OP was asking where to buy one?

Every other poster has given suggestions, I appreciate your point of view but your post seems a bit trollish without any suggestions of where one can be purchased.

As Shane said Ógra are selling them, some of the older FF lads I know have one that says "Old IRA" on it to distinguish them from the ones the Provos used to wear-does anyone know if they are still for sale anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Never mind him mate. He's one of those types he would have no problem wearing a poppy.

What about people whose granda or whatever died at flanders or fighting Hitler? Are you saying those people shouldn't stick a flower in their lapel to remember them? That's pretty harsh.

To be fair Sand the OP was asking where to buy one?

And he also asked:

Like I said, I've no problem with the commemoration of the innocent Dubliners who were killed, but I find the celebration of their killers as disturbing. If people want to celebrate the killing of Dubliners by a militant vanguards that fine, plenty of people support the Provos using a similar logic. Theyre wrong, but it is their right to do so.

We've had the whataboutery, and now the West Brit accusations. :rolleyes:

Never change, never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember seeing an aul lad down in the sticks wearing one upside down once. I was told it was an old FF thing but he might have just been a bit senile.

And he also asked:

Like I said, I've no problem with the commemoration of the innocent Dubliners who were killed, but I find the celebration of their killers as disturbing. If people want to celebrate the killing of Dubliners by a militant vanguards that fine, plenty of people support the Provos using a similar logic. Theyre wrong, but it is their right to do so.

We've had the whataboutery, and now the West Brit accusations. :rolleyes:

Never change, never change.

celebration of the killers of innocent Dubliners...... deary me.

And you are right that this is a public forum and you can join in, indeed everyone is more than welcome, but I think I would be justified in saying that you are coming on here simply to annoy people. For instance, the religious forums are also public forums but I would not be going on there telling people god doesnt exist or whatnot, if I did it would be clearly an attempt to simply annoy people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I always thought it was only the Shinners who wore the Easter Lilly? so I presume you can get them at Sinn Fein/IRA offices. Personally speaking, I would only wear the Poppy as a mark of respect for all the Allied (inc 35k Irish) soldiers who died in WWI + WWII, although in recent years my thoughts have also included the 'two or three hundred' casualties from all sides, who died in Dublin (1916).

I have no problem with other people wearing the Easter lilly, its just not my cuppa.

Camelot wrote: »
    I always thought it was only the Shinners who wore the Easter Lilly? so I presume you can get them at Sinn Fein/IRA offices.

Personally speaking, I would only wear the Poppy as a mark of respect for all the Allied (inc 35k Irish) soldiers who died in WWI + WWII, although in recent years my thoughts have also included the 'two or three hundred' casualties from all sides, who died in Dublin (1916).

I have no problem with other people wearing the Easter lilly, its just not my cuppa.

Sinn Fein/ IRA offices? For gods sake :rolleyes:

Ignoring that gem and moving on, I have been thinking recently what about commemorating the Irish who died in WW1 with a modified poppy or similar emblem coloured in the Irish colours, similar to our lily. A gesture to acknowledge the tragedy of these peoples death without glorifying a British war effort which gave nothing to our country or the combatants who left from our shores.

Shane-1 wrote: »
    A gesture to acknowledge the tragedy of these peoples death without glorifying a British war effort which gave nothing to our country or the combatants who left from our shores.

No Glorifyng intended Shane, indeed remembrance Sunday is a very solemn affair, and the poor chaps who fell on the Somme (1916) fell mostly in the Poppy Fields > Hence the red Poppy as a mark of respect.
    As regards your claim that 'their deaths gave nothing' to this country! we (Allies) did stop Hitler, didnt we?

Thirty Five Thousand 'Irish' War dead ........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I would not wear one for the same reason I would not wear the poppy - I'd hate to be associated with the people (Sinn Fein in this case) that have latched on to it as their own.

No Glorifyng intended Shane, indeed remembrance Sunday is a very solemn affair, and the poor chaps who fell on the Somme (1916) fell mostly in the Poppy Fields > Hence the red Poppy as a mark of respect.
    As regards your claim that 'their deaths gave nothing' to this country! we (Allies) did stop Hitler, didnt we?

Only because of America, they were whipping yer ass before that.

For nothing.

Yes very true, but it would be understandably hard to get people to support wearing the poppy, I wouldnt wear that one. I would however wear our own tribute to our own people. It was not an Irish war and it served no gains for our country, thus I would not wear a tribute to it, but I would certainly have no problems commemorating our dead from it; men forced into war in the hope of earning money in hard times, men duped into the war in the belief that it would benifit Irish nationalist aspirations and the tragedy of young men searching for adventure. Of course they should be remembered and commemorated, but not as part of a rememberence of the British war effort who sent them to be butchered. Lets commemorate them ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

i will be wearing one in rememberance of irish men + women who fought the war of indepedence. i dont care who else wears or doesnt wear one.

There is a sizeable amount of people in the South who openly wear the Poppy to this day (me included)!

Family history etc ...............

But as I have already said, I wouldn't mind if I saw someone wearing the Easter Lilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

There is a sizeable amount of people in the South who openly wear the Poppy to this day (me included)!

Family history etc ...............

But as I have already said, I wouldn't mind if I saw someone wearing the Easter Lilly.

The South. You from Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hitler wasn't in power during WWI....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Hitler wasn't in power during WWI....

Your point being what exactly?

Remembrance Day commemorates dead from both wars, not just the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Your point being what exactly?

Remembrance Day commemorates dead from both wars, not just the first.

And the boer war, and the war of independance, and the troubles and every other colonial war the british empire sent troops into.

celebration of the killers of innocent Dubliners...... deary me.

What are you celebrating then? If its not the killers of innocent Dubliners, then what is it?
    And you are right that this is a public forum and you can join in, indeed everyone is more than welcome, but I think I would be justified in saying that you are coming on here simply to annoy people. For instance, the religious forums are also public forums but I would not be going on there telling people god doesnt exist or whatnot, if I did it would be clearly an attempt to simply annoy people.

I dont know if I am more than welcome. Your harsh accusations and abuse have made me feel somewhat unwelcome from this circle jerk :(

Maybe it should have been posted at the Irish Republican forum if all you wanted was people agreeing with each other. When you post it on a mainstream political forum, people other than people who already agree with you may post. Terrible I know.

For the record, I have never posted on www.irishrepublican.net ( I get all the knuckle dragging Provo bollocks I can stomach here...let alone venturing into the lair of murderous stupidity itself), so you're trolling accusations and terrible analogy are clearly disproven Sir.

What are you celebrating then? If its not the killers of innocent Dubliners, then what is it?

So you think wearing a lilly is to do with the innocent people who were killed?

I dont know if I am more than welcome. Your harsh accusations and abuse have made me feel somewhat unwelcome from this circle jerk :(

My god you have it in one.
    Maybe it should have been posted at the Irish Republican forum if all you wanted was people agreeing with each other. When you post it on a mainstream political forum, people other than people who already agree with you may post. Terrible I know.

For the record, I have never posted on www.irishrepublican.net ( I get all the knuckle dragging Provo bollocks I can stomach here...let alone venturing into the lair of murderous stupidity itself), so you're trolling accusations and terrible analogy are clearly disproven Sir.

Actually I'm on that forum and it's a good forum for anyone who wants to join it.

Disproven? You're clearly a troll every bloody thread you come into you're always trolling.

By the way wearing a lilly has nothing to do with the provos, once again you're trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Can we not stop bickering and to the point at hand?

Seriously like the OP's main question was where to buy one in Dublin?

And no I won't be wearing one because it gets too much linkage with SF who I don't support in any way. But that's just personal opinion and whatever anyone else thinks frankly I don't care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In fairness SAND you just cant help yourself sometimes. Its easy to criticize then to stand for something.

If someone wants to wear a lily or a poppy or rabbit $hit then they are free do to so IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

The Al Lad wrote: »

Certainly I will.

I always try and attend a commemoration no matter where I am. I've been to ones in New York, London, Birmingham and Sydney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09h68DkKsW4

We serve neither King nor Kaiser - but Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

the red poppy commerates all british soldiers killed or injured in all conflict,this includes in the north and the current soldiers in the middle east. if you do not wish to commerate these soldiers for what ever reason but still would like to commerate the soldiers killed in WW1 AND WW2 then id say the white poppy is for you which is also sold around poppy day. from my own personal view there is nothing wrong with the white poppy as many irish men were killed in either war trying to get some money to feed their families, i know my own great grandad was in WW1 and was injured so i would definetly not object to the poppy,just once its the white poppy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Only because of America, they were whipping yer ass before that.

Russia would have beaten the third reich on their own. The myth that the US won the European war on their own is Hollywood history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I rarely see people wearing either the Easter lilly or the poppy, in fact I think I have only ever seen one person ever wearing a poppy and that was only last year.

However, I would like to see a new symbol that would remember all Irishmen that were killed in battle including both world wars, 1916 rising, the war of independance, the civil war and also Irish peacekeepers killed overseas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement