Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic PHP exercises

Options
  • 09-04-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,

I've been reading a few basic PHP tutorials over the last while but I'm struggling to find one with enough practical exercises at the end of each section.

I've settled on a tutorial that's very informative and well laid out on tuxradar.com. My only problem with it is that the exercises given at the end of each chapter are just multiple choice questions rather than actual live php.

Ideally what I'm looking for is, say, after the first few chapters it would get you to put together your own script using everything you've learned. i.e. maybe show you what the finished product is and let you figure out the code.

Can anyone reccommend any sites? I've seen similar tutorials for other languages, I just can't find anything for PHP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i always find www.tizag.com good, especially for starting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

best try desinging your own website based on what you know.
    when it gets complicated, try posting into forums (like here or http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/) for help.

The more you do ,the more you learn as it takes years to master PHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Johnny909

Cheers for the advice lads.

I was thinking more simple exercises just to get in to the swing of it.

I was thinking that if I was to put together a website at this early stage in learning php I'd end up doing things inefficiently and have to change everything down the line...

Thinking about it now, I guess it's the best way to learn!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You could try getting a book on it... I found this one in Hughes & Hughes one day... it's a great all-rounder with practical examples at every step.
    Online tutorials are cool, but there's a lot to be said for having a consistent, structured lesson plan.

I find it helpful to come up with your own exercises... coming up with ideas of what you could use your new found knowledge on... simple things like a page that converts measurements, then add functionality to it later... like a cookie that keeps their last used conversion type... then develop it further so conversions are stored in a database and the page can list the last 5 conversions or display a leaderboard of the most popular conversion types.
    I find having an imagination about it and inventing goals keeps it more interesting/rewarding too.

Advertisement