Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being left with all the bills

Options
  • 09-04-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm living with two guys who are both moving out in a couple of days. They don't want to pay any of the bills which are due very soon. If they leave without paying who is responsible to pay the rest if I pay my third? Me or the landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

whose name is on the bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

one is the landlords at least. my names is not on any. I know by law i dont have to pay a contract/bill if my name is not on something but for if i wanted to stay should i be expected to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

riiight! wrote: »
    one is the landlords at least. my names is not on any. I know by law i dont have to pay a contract/bill if my name is not on something but for if i wanted to stay should i be expected to?

I'd ring the landlord & tell him the story about your housemates not wanting to pay. He can take it from there, after all if they refuse to pay he can always take the relevant amount out of their deposits or not return it at all.
    It's really up to him but I'd definately let him know before it's too late & you might get caught for the full amount.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I'd ring the landlord & tell him the story about your housemates not wanting to pay. He can take it from there, after all if they refuse to pay he can always take the relevant amount out of their deposits or not return it at all.
    It's really up to him but I'd definately let him know before it's too late & you might get caught for the full amount.

hmmm ok thanks. I know it sounds bad but I get on with the guys and I dont want to get the landlord on their back either. At the same time obviously I dont want to be left with all this.
    So would ye think that the chances are that yes I would be left responsible for all this or not get my deposit back if I was to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

riiight! wrote: »
    hmmm ok thanks. I know it sounds bad but I get on with the guys and I dont want to get the landlord on their back either. At the same time obviously I dont want to be left with all this.
    So would ye think that the chances are that yes I would be left responsible for all this or not get my deposit back if I was to leave?

Well if they're willing to leave without paying their share of the bills then I wouldn't really care how well I get on with them.
    You could leave it & see for yourself but there is nothing stopping them saying they left money for when the bills come in & the landlord is on the rampage.

• Advertisement

ok thanks for your help anyways. i know what i should do ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Simple, get readings (ESB, Gas) work out what the bill up to their departure date is, divide by three.
    Ask for money, if no, ring landlord and get him to return their deposits minus bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they're not willing to pay their way then definitely bring it up with the landlord. Otherwise it might come back to you.
    Great friends.

Advertisement