Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need suggestions to get browser working again

• 09-04-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Mate over in the Uk is having trouble getting onto the net and I think its his broswer (Explorer). Went through all the usual things with him, pinging his router/ making sure he set his ip address etc. Even though he can ping his router and websites in dos window when he tries to bring it up in explorer with 192.168.1.1 it just give him a blank page.
    He rang talk talk who his BB is with and got onto leve 3 help:D and they say his browser is at fault. I told him to DL firefox etc but off course he cant get onto it. I also told him to try system restore but if that doesnt work can I get him to rejig other settings over the phone to see it they will work???

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

cubix wrote: »
    Mate over in the Uk is having trouble getting onto the net and I think its his broswer (Explorer). Went through all the usual things with him, pinging his router/ making sure he set his ip address etc. Even though he can ping his router and websites in dos window when he tries to bring it up in explorer with 192.168.1.1 it just give him a blank page.
    He rang talk talk who his BB is with and got onto leve 3 help:D and they say his browser is at fault. I told him to DL firefox etc but off course he cant get onto it. I also told him to try system restore but if that doesnt work can I get him to rejig other settings over the phone to see it they will work???
    Thanks

This should be easy enough to sort. I would take it in the following steps.

1. Connect to the router and make sure that the router IS actually connected to the Internet. Get him to type the IP of the router into the address bar of Internet Explorer and connect to the web interface of the router. From there he should be able to verify that the Internet is up.
    2. Make sure DNS is set correctly, the computer will probably be using proxy DNS, so that it's primary and secondary DNS will be set to the IP of the router. Look up IPCONFIG /ALL from dos prompt and check the DNS server settings. You could also try sending him the IP of a known website (i.e. so DNS does not have to resolve it for him), and see if he can connect to this site by entering the IP address in the address bar instead of the domain name.
    3. If it is a browser issue, you could get him to run the Internet Explorer Connection Setup Wizard. Sometimes Explorer can get messed up. Alternatively you could get him to go to library, internet cafe etc etc go to getfirefox.com and take a copy of Firefox onto a USB device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It may sound obvious, but does he have software anti-virus with a firewall? just open that and see if that is blocking connection to IE? While the AV is open, open IE and see if it asks for permission to accept connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mobile01

wrote:
    The best u can do is to check the proxies

Go to IE - internet options - connections - lan settings & check if you have any proxies set....

Secondly.. try and check the security options in the control panel... it will list the possible issues whether u r antivirus is locked on or out of subscription.

Well the other thing u can do is to reinstall the tcp/ip -

i would suggest you to keep the windows operating cd handy

go to lan settings - properties - internet protocal tcp/ip- uninstall.
    and then add - select the option tcp/ip - (u don't need a cd usually, as windows can reinstall tcp/ip automatically) but u cannot predict anything with windows- if it prompts for the cd then i guess... u have to use cd.

and the last thing u can do is to reinstall the antivirus software.

most of the time its the antivirus which is the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try firefox to see how another browser does. Firefox uses it's own DNS cache so will bypass at least one OS problem as well as lots of IE specific problems. If FF doesn't connect then it's not an IE problem

Check for malware anyway.

If you are behind a hardware firewall ( your local address will be 192.168.1.x ) you could try safe mode with network support to rule out some background stuff

Advertisement