Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start up prog's

• 09-04-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello Kind folk of boards,

I was wondering if anyone cud help me here. I am looking to speed up my start time on my laptop, currently it is ok, takes almost a minute, but I feel it should be faster...

How can I tell which prog's to disable ??

Thanx

Poppa
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm assuming you use Win XP.

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

Magnus wrote: »
    I'm assuming you use Win XP.

Linky

Sorry no, I use Vista,
    I have a dell XPS

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

msconfig then google any start up items you are about to stop.Be very carefull!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

download this free program ccleaner ,there is a feature in the program that shows the start-up programs and you can disable them from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

On another note does anybody know of a programe like 'registry mechanic' that scans a computer looking for faults? Something that will check out drivers too???

It wud be great if they were FREE too, I am sick of those progs that claim a free download, find 10000 faults then cost 49.99
    thank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mobile01

well.. if its xp/vista go to run type msconfiggoto startup and untick the prog.. which u don't want to run at the startup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

your fairly safe to disable 99% of the stuff in startup tab in msconfig. I have nothing in there tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On another note does anybody know of a programe like 'registry mechanic' that scans a computer looking for faults? Something that will check out drivers too???

It wud be great if they were FREE too, I am sick of those progs that claim a free download, find 10000 faults then cost 49.99
    thank
    ccleaner is free

many of the apps finding faults are trojans/scams , they pretend to find faults that it stops finding when you pay the money , especially if it antivirus , :mad:

One minute is fast for a system with a lot of stuff installed.
    try it in safe mode without network support to see how fast it is without startup programs,

Advertisement