Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tripods as carry on?

• 09-04-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Stupid question maybe but has anybody brought a tripod on a plane as carry on luggage, or have they had any problems doing this? I've never seen anbody with one before, and I don't want to put the tripod in my hold luggage (it's a backpack anyway).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I have had the same question. I looked online and as far as I could tell it is up to the discretion of the security officers on duty.
    I would love to hear personal experiences on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If I was you I'd check it in and carry on the rest of your gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I have carried my tripod on to flights around europe with out any problems. Usually i take the head off though.

FWIW it's a Manfrotto 055XPROB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

Cheers I might try carry it around, just worried because it seems like it could be pretty easily used as a weapon, I might give it a chance. I'm not sure about checking it in, I'm going through an African airport renowned (within family circles) for "losing" loose items! And plus I doubt it'd fit in my backpack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

try for carry on, if not definitely take off the head and put that with the rest of your gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

LaMer wrote: »
    it seems like it could be pretty easily used as a weapon

Be sure you don't tell security that :D. I try not make a big
    fuss or draw undue attention to it, simply strapped to side
    of my rucksack and walk on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This has been discussed a few times recently. Look here for a recent thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bedlam wrote: »
    The one downside to this is that it then has to go into the hold unprotected if they don't allow it through security. You run a greater risk of it getting damaged or going missing than if it was packed in your checked luggage.
    true i had never thought of that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

As cabinsail pointed out this issue has been discussed previously and he has provided a link.

Since that time I've been through Dublin, Berln, Heathrow, Glasgow, Birmingham and Bari with either a monopod ,tripod or both as carry on without problems.

I've seen other passengers have umbrellas, both standard and collapsible, confiscated at security a few times while another passenger lost a climbing stick, which to me is no different from a monopod.

If you ask me, Dublin Airport has the most stringent visible security screening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

It will depend on the airport and the problem is if its taken you have to go back to check in and get it checked through...
    London Heathrow is a no-no as is most American Airports, you will hear different stories from different people and I am not disputing them.
    My experience is based on traveling 6 months of the year for a living and I have given up trying to get them through security and just put them in my luggage as there is nothing as bad as trying to get a flight and getting refused by airport security and having to go back..

Just my experience..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gorilla_image

Flew to Italy last year: Flight from Dublin to Milan (Aer Lingus) No Problem, Flight from Forli to Dublin (Ryan Air) had to check it in at the last minute got charged €20 extra! Agree with Sunny2004 just put it in your checked baggage it will save last minute runnig back to the checkin-in desk. and extra charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I usually strap my monopod to the side of my storm case an bring the lot on with me.
    Never had any problem.
    Used to carry a small tripod before without any problem either.

If you really wanted to bludgeon someone to death on a plane, there are plenty things you could use, rather than damage a perfectly good tripod.

Advertisement