Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can Voda sell a Tocco Ultra so cheap

• 09-04-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Just been looking at the prices for the Samsung S8300 Tocco Ultra on Vodafones, O2 and 3 Irelands web sites.

The price difference for this phone on their networks is huge. Depending on the 12 month plan you choose with it.

Voda you can get it for as little as
    €39.99 on Perfect Choice 600
    €99.99 on Perfect Choice 50

€419.00 on Prepay

O2
    €249.00 on O2 Clear 600
    €349.99 on O2 Clear 50

€379.00 on Prepay

3 Ireland
    €179.00 on Relax 650
    €249.00 on Relax 90

€349.00 on Prepay

So 3 Ireland sell it for the cheapest on Prepay and Voda the cheapest on Bill pay by miles! And O2... Well since Telefonica got their hands on them they just do not want to compete anymore.

Can anyone explain how there is such a difference?

* BTW I do not work for Vodafone, O2, 3 or Samsung

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I guess it's just a case of which product they're pushing this day / week / month. Networks always make a loss on bill phones until you start paying back your contract etc.

Same with prepay .. I guess Vodafone are banking on the fact you'll have spent the money back in credit before you switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

you can get the tocco from free in the carphone warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Random wrote: »
    I guess it's just a case of which product they're pushing this day / week / month. Networks always make a loss on bill phones until you start paying back your contract etc.

Same with prepay .. I guess Vodafone are banking on the fact you'll have spent the money back in credit before you switch.

Fair enough... But that is a serious "loss" compared to the other networks.

Even if you pick Voda's cheapest tariff and keep within your minutes for the 12 months all you end up paying is €99.99 upfront and €19.08 each month, it's stiil way better value then the other 2 networks...

As usual Meteorcom have no mention of the Tocco Ultra on their website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Dammer wrote: »
    Fair enough... But that is a serious "loss" compared to the other networks.

Even if you pick Voda's cheapest tariff and keep within your minutes for the 12 months all you end up paying is €99.99 upfront and €19.08 each month, it's stiil way better value then the other 2 networks...

As usual Meteorcom have no mention of the Tocco Ultra on their website...

well they must buy them in bulk + make sure they are good and hard to unlock. you can buy the phone for less than 349 new and factory unlocked on ebay so even if you use your 50 minutes and texts every month and cancel + unlock after the 12 months they havn't lost anything.

expect the salesguys to really push you to get a data package or some other add on because that's just pure profit for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Having the galaxy's highest tarrif's goes some way to recouping their initial losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

you can get the tocco from free in the carphone warehouse

it's not a tocco as you know it..

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/21363/samsung-tocco-ultra-edition/

x in the city is right, you'll end up paying the cheap price back over the course of an expensive contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

I don't think Voda are too expensive when you factor in the low price of the phone.

For example, if you go for Perfect Fit 200 or any plan above that you get an additional bonus of 200, 400 or 600 (according to what plan you select) free minutes or txts to your friends on Voda.

If you go for Perfect Fit 200
    So you get 400 minutes for €49.20 a month and the phone for €79.99

For a similar plan on the other networks...

3 Ireland gives you
    Relax 350 for €49.00 a month and you get the phone for €199.00

O2 gives you
    Clear 350 for €55.00 a month and you get the phone for €249.00

There's a minimum saving of approx €120 if you go with Voda.

Now I always used to consider Vodafone to be the worst network in terms of value, but this offer shows otherwise and O2 does not really compete at all!

That min saving of €120 essentially puts your monthly spend at approx €39.20 when compared to the other networks "similar" price plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Forgive my ignorance while I ask a stupid question but could you buy the phone sim free from 3, put a meteor sim card into it with the only downside being that it invalidates the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

GDM wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance while I ask a stupid question but could you buy the phone sim free from 3, put a meteor sim card into it with the only downside being that it invalidates the warranty?

You can't buy a phone sim-free from 3. You can but it on Prepay and get the credit with it. But, if you can get the phone unlocked, you can put your meteor sim in AND use your credit from 3. I think it might invalidate your warranty with 3 but not the manufacturer (usually better to go to anyway)

So thats €349 for the phone, around €20 to get it unlocked (or try the Unlocking thread in this forum) and thats it, and you get a bit of free credit too, compared to €470 on Expansys.ie http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=178701

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

im actually thinking of getting this phone, anyone have it yet or does anyone have any opinions on it compared to the nokia 5800??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Looks like the phone is going up in price on the vodafone website, on the main homepage it says from €89 but if you click in it tells you that its cheaper.... Just letting ye know in case you're going to buy it, I'd advise you to nab it now;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

allen175 wrote: »
    im actually thinking of getting this phone, anyone have it yet or does anyone have any opinions on it compared to the nokia 5800??

Tried it as a possible replament to m C905 if the cameras were equal I would probably change. Very nice phone otherwise I love the touch screen/key pad mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BDPinDublin

I believe they're trying to increase their marketshare. It is really a good deal to buy it on Monthly Pay from Vodafone, and it's even better to Vodafone that holds the customer for 1 year. So, if you're not under a pay monthy contract, subject to termination charges, and if you're looking for an upgrade, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

seems 3 are dropping their tocco ultra prices - the advert's on the site but it checkout is still charging the higher price.

New price is €29 on the 350 plan - I'd guess it will apply from tomorrow.

Advertisement