Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tramore & a Kite Surfer C&C

• 09-04-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Yesterday was such a lovely day that it just demanded that we head to the beach. So after work i headed out to tramore just for a few minutes as i had to meet up with an old friend out there. I brought the camera with me with the 70-300 on it just in case an opportunity would arise. This Kite Surfer Caught my eye in the water. I was able to get in close on him no problem but i found getting him and the kite in the frame a challenge. Anyways i retreated to the Prom and got a few shots also. Let me know what you lot think. C&C would be very much appreciated.

Up Close of Kite Surfer
    3212A4126ADF4DBE9CBDB5987DFBB005-800.jpg

Kite Surfer Grabbing Some Air
    9D2728DD11014F5E9AC7CACFA2943528-800.jpg

Kite Surfer Air Shot B&W
    5185A7BDE4324DC6A707DDF3FED39436-800.jpg

Kite Surfer Close
    8076A5D29B134D92B451A1787E6A6EB4-800.jpg

Kite Surfing
    8FEF09E9FDE342B3BC3A85737AE0F209-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I like #1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't know enough about kite surfing to comment in any great detail other than to say I think #1 is great - a really nice shot. In #2 I like the swirl of the water as it follows the path of the board. It is a little difficult though to view as your eye isn't drawn to the subject. #4 is nice but needs a little contrast I'd suspect.

A nice set overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Thanks Guys, Number one and two are my personal favs.

Must apologise about #4, there is no sharpness in it at all,i just liked the waves was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Some great action captured there. And of a braver soul than me!

I'm curious why all the photos Stick-Dan posted are in "portrait" format. My instinct would be that "landscape" format might have been more suited, in that both the kite and the surfer could be framed and it would give a sense of space for the surfer to move in (or out of.)
    Maybe I would understand the choice better if I had actually been there and knew the full circumstances. Super shots nonetheless.

In my opinion, I think colour suits this subject best and I love the position of the spin the surfer is in in picture #2.

Zxc wrote: »
    I'm curious why all the photos Stick-Dan posted are in "portrait" format.

Because i purchased a grip about a month ago and ever since i seem to be addicted to portrait photography. It's really a habit i need more discipline in. :( my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

1st one by a country mile ! (but the 2nd isn't bad either) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Second Photo WOW, what a shot!! colour all the way for me. Love them all.

Thanks guys really appreciate the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Great pictures, was hoping to get some myself today but there was only learners out with the kites in the water, no surfing.

Thanks for the comment :)

you out in tramore too, should meet up some day and do pics when there is a good surf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I wish I was in Wexford, I'm in Dublin and head out to South Bull Island. Wind report is suppose to be better tomorrow so might head out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Really like the first one.

It's a pity you wern't ready for a close-up for the second shot - that could have made a fantastic photo!

The second photo is still really good but the surfer appears to be a bit lost in the backgroud hills. If you were low down at the water's edge you might have got him with just the sky behind him! Kite surfing isn't the most photo-friendly unfortunately!

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    I wish I was in Wexford, I'm in Dublin and head out to South Bull Island. Wind report is suppose to be better tomorrow so might head out again.

oh ok fair enough, this weekend was good for surfing wind-surfing etc. Little tip for you incase you dont know use www.magicseaweed.com to get the surf reports so you'll know when they will be out, that's when i do but thankfully for me i can look at my local surfshops live webcam to see when the surf is in and the people are out :)
    gary82 wrote: »
    Really like the first one.

It's a pity you wern't ready for a close-up for the second shot - that could have made a fantastic photo!

The second photo is still really good but the surfer appears to be a bit lost in the backgroud hills. If you were low down at the water's edge you might have got him with just the sky behind him! Kite surfing isn't the most photo-friendly unfortunately!

Thank you gary, it was a pity wasn't it! I'm sure i'll get it again in the next few weeks i happen to be there a lot. Kitesurfing isn't too bad to be fair, i'll slap on my wetsuit next time and get in closer.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dan I'm off all next week if you fancy trying to shoot some more surfers etc. Monday seems good according to magicseaweed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

just on the weather forecasts for windsports

windguru is your friend and it has beach specific reports.

For Tramore you probably need pretty much any decent wind coming from the south I think.

For Dollymount winds from NE, E and SE usually. You might occasionally see kites out in SW as well but it's not the greatest to be honest.

Sutton is N, NW, NE as well. I prefer Sutton for photographs to be honest.

gary, strongly disagree that kitesurfing isn't the best for photography. I've been shooting kitesurfers for the past 5 or 6 years, including wide angle, night shots, water shots, and the long stuff from the waters edge. I have great fun with it.

eeyore, there are almost never waves on South Bull Island but there are a lot of very decent freestylers.

stick-dan,

please take this positively. Your photographs are not bad but they need a lot of work.

Above all else, I notice you're suffering from back of the head syndrome. That's not always bad but the ones you have, it's really not great particularly for cruising shots. So 1 and 4 don't do anything for me.

2, the aerial shot in colour is probably the best of them. He hasn't a lot of height though and I'm not too hot on the angle either.

As a general note, regarding the black and white conversions, I think they lack contrast, 5 in particular.

One thing to note about Tramore is that it can be very difficult to shoot around mid-day, straight into the sun because it's a roughly south facing beach.

There are a couple of good kitesurfers down in Waterford, including 1 very good one. You will not be short of opportunity to get great shots. Have fun with it.

Site needs updating but this is what I do on a beach. If you're really interested in this I strongly recommend that you have a look at Roberto Foresti's stuff, and also, sign up to Kiteworld's Random Picture which they post out on a Monday via email. It's free.

There are also a bunch of good kite photographers on flickr and if you want I will dig out their user ids and send you the links.

Hi Calina,

Nah i won't take it badly at all, i specifically asked for C&C. :) Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yup i see what you mean now by back of head syndrome. Never really occured to me until you said it. This was only my first attempt so since you said it wasn't bad i'm quite happy to work towards getting a well done someday:)

There is a good few good ones there alright, i know of some of them. Plus i have my own personal eyes on the beach so that helps. I am serious about trying to expand my horizons and try this. The advantage about tramore is that i can get in pretty much close to them if i want because the tide is never too high and they are never too far out so the 300mm will suit me fine. I'm hoping to do this in the next few weeks.

I'd very much appreciate if you would dig me out the links and pm them to me please. I'm popping over to your site now to have a look.:)

kensutz wrote: »
    Dan I'm off all next week if you fancy trying to shoot some more surfers etc. Monday seems good according to magicseaweed.

Kensutz i'm in carlow on monday but next weekend i'd possibly be up for it if you were. Pm me if your interested will ya, I've seen some of your work and its great. I wouldn't have the fancy glass you'd have but i'd be very willing to exchange ideas with you.

Advertisement