Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to setup Hotmail email on LG Viewty

• 09-04-2009 9:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I just picked up the LG Viewty and I'm trying to set up my email, something which I've never been able to do with ANY phone.

So, if someone can point out where I'm going wrong?

These are my settings:

Username: I just have the first half of my email addy, as in everything accept the '@hotmail.com'

Password: Hotmail password

Email Addy: my hotmail address

Email Password: my email p/w

Outgoing mail server: smtp.live.com

Incoming mail server: pop3.live.com

Mailbox Type: Pop3

Access Point: Meteor WAP

SMTP Port No. 25

Incoming Server Port: 995

SMTP Authentication: On

SMTP User/Pass: I just use my hotmail addy and password

APOP Secure Logon: On

So, what's the story here? I try to retrieve my emails and it says ''socket closed by network''.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I just picked up the LG Viewty and I'm trying to set up my email, something which I've never been able to do with ANY phone.

So, if someone can point out where I'm going wrong?

These are my settings:

Username: I just have the first half of my email addy, as in everything accept the '@hotmail.com'

Password: Hotmail password

Email Addy: my hotmail address

Email Password: my email p/w

Outgoing mail server: smtp.live.com

Incoming mail server: pop3.live.com

Mailbox Type: Pop3

Access Point: Meteor WAP

SMTP Port No. 25

Incoming Server Port: 995

SMTP Authentication: On

SMTP User/Pass: I just use my hotmail addy and password

APOP Secure Logon: On

So, what's the story here? I try to retrieve my emails and it says ''socket closed by network''.

Thanks.

Your username is the full email address, the hotmail.com has to be there as it's dealing with a few domains like live.com, live.ie, msn.com etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Adro947 wrote: »
    Your username is the full email address, the hotmail.com has to be there as it's dealing with a few domains like live.com, live.ie, msn.com etc.
    Changed, but socket still closed:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Changed, but socket still closed:(

Are you able to receive or send email? I recommend you change the APN in use to Meteor Data. If you don't have this APN on your handset then send the Meteor Data APN settings to your handset from the Meteor website.

Also, you should try use the Meteor mail server, instead of the hotmail SMTP server, which is mail.mymeteor.ie and port 25; you don't need a user name or password for the Meteor server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Do you pay for hotmail? POP3 is only for subscribers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What Vimes said. Have a look here, someone had a similiar thread .. may have been in the Apple Media Devices forum though .. they suggested using Live servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/newvisitor/archive/2009/03/18/how-to-sign-up-for-windows-live-hotmail-plus.aspx

As you can see there, using your email from outlook, ie pop3 is a feature of hotmail plus

Random wrote: »
    What Vimes said. Have a look here, someone had a similiar thread .. may have been in the Apple Media Devices forum though .. they suggested using Live servers.
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/newvisitor/archive/2009/03/18/how-to-sign-up-for-windows-live-hotmail-plus.aspx

As you can see there, using your email from outlook, ie pop3 is a feature of hotmail plus

Microsoft recently announced that POP3 access is available to all hotmail users for free. It has been available worldwide since 12 March 2009.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Microsoft recently announced that POP3 access is available to all hotmail users for free. It has been available worldwide since 12 March 2009.
    Was that the link someone posted in one of the iPhone threads?

Random wrote: »
    Was that the link someone posted in one of the iPhone threads?
    I remember a thread was created several weeks ago regarding the subject of pop3 access availability for all hotmail accounts, however, I'm not aware if it was regarding an iPhone Random.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I tried to send myself an email, and although it looked like it sent, I never received anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Gmail ftw. I stopped using hotmail a few years ago when I wanted to use an email client to access my account - and then I found out I couldn't do it with hotmail at the time. The most annoying thing about having to switch is the lack of a redirect system unless you're a subscriber. Reh.

if you still want to access your hotmail from your phone, but don't have Hotmail plus for the pop3 access, then just go to http://mobile.live.com on the browser.

You don't need Hotmail plus for POP3. See here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59772633&postcount=8

Advertisement