Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the minimum height you have to be to do a slam dunk?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Generally speaking, I know you can't say exactly what since everyones different, but what height would your average person be able to do a slam dunk at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

and also who is the shortest person known to have done a slam dunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

Spud Webb won a slam dunk contest at 5ft 7in!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

This really depends on your vertical ability. There is no average height, I've seen 6'6 guys not able to dunk it and 5'8 guys throw it down - that's a difference of 8 inches. If you're 5'8 or under you'll definitely struggle without some serious god given athleticism I'd say. Maybe on average, you'd probably wanna be touching 6 foot to do it comfortably enough.

Past vertical ability, dunking is a lot about technique also. It takes practice even when you can get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Jumping ability, technique, long arms and a skinny build all help. A guy I went to school with was about 5ft7, very thin and could dunk with 2 hands. Shame he couldn't shoot for crap tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

You don't have to be any certain height really as Spud Webb would tell you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

what an athlete he is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Nate Robinson too, he is 5"8 and won the Slam Dunk Contest recently. Jumping over one of his team-mates in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nate robinson has won it twice.i think its down to technique and athleticism ,i was on a team with a fella in school couldnt dunk and he was about 6"5

Advertisement