Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topaz and the 5c tax

Options
  • 09-04-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Big thumbs down to Topaz who put on the 5c straight away after the budget. Passed several Topaz stations that I do reguarly and every one of them had the 5c on the following morning after Lenihans Lash.

Now I know why they implemented those electronic price signs at every Topaz forecourt, next they'll be tinkering the prices according to the time of day. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

the increase was effective from midnight on the day of the budget

They were quite entitled to add the 5c from midnight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres a petrol station down the road from me in Ranelagh who put their prices up - the day before the budget..... then added another 5cent after the budget announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

the increases was effective from midnight on the day of the budget

The increase was on excise duty, which is applied when the fuel enters the country - NOT when it is sold. It is highly unlikely that petrol stations have taken deliveries of fuel imported since Tuesday - probably won't happen for a few weeks at a guesstimate. Any petrol station who has already passed on the increase is creaming it off as extra profit. Same for the ciggies too BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Petrol station on the South Link road in cork hasnt upped the price of diesel yet! A shame cos i drive a petrol:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

The increase was on excise duty, which is applied when the fuel enters the country - NOT when it is sold. It is highly unlikely that petrol stations have taken deliveries of fuel imported since Tuesday - probably won't happen for a few weeks at a guesstimate. Any petrol station who has already passed on the increase is creaming it off as extra profit. Same for the ciggies too BTW.

the increase in excise is passed straight to the consumer so it doesnt matter but your perfectly right with the rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Increase happens when the station gets its next delivery. It is effectively in "bond" until its loaded onto the tanker that delivers. - Same applies to cigarettes & alcohol.

BTW - About 100 of the 300 topaz sations are company owned the other 200 are totally inmdependent and operate under franchise.

The Topaz in Athy only put their prices up yesterday morning, whereas in Topaz Carlow it went up on Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Shame on them all. I will purpously avoid Topaz stations in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Topaz are generally a rip off
    checking the price per litre b4 filling up, there is a big difference and savings to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Whilst we are on the subject on Topaz, I find them to be very expensive for nearly everything.Their wine prices are a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the increase was effective from midnight on the day of the budget

They were, and are, entitled to add on 5 EURO whenever they want!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

If you really fell that bad then vote with your feet.Go to the one,if you can, that didnt up the price and let the garage you are boycotting know otherwise its a waste of time.
    They make sod all profit on fuel but the fact you wont be entering their shop and buy the coffe/tea sambo or whatever ie the stuff they really do make a profit on will hurt them more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I work in Topaz every item we sell cost more then any shop i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Faq wrote: »
    I work in Topaz every item we sell cost more then any shop i know
    Simple - a quiet word to the revenue and let them take it from there!

Advertisement