Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland - The loneliest place on earth

Options
  • 09-04-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I have been living in Charlesland for about 3 years now. I love the area (grew up here) but have to admit that nobody really wants to know anyone. We are all roughly the same age, with the same type of lifestyle ie. 1st time buyers, 30 somethings, backs to the wall a la budget!! What would be great is if someone was to organise some type of social event now that we are coming in to the summer - We have the green in the centre and would accomodate bbq's bouncing castles, picnic tables etc. what do you think? It would be nice to get to know more people in the area. :D Just wondering if anyone else feels this way???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CelticTiger*

I totally agree with you,i live in Greystones meself but not charlesland,but yeh whenever i go down there its a ghost town,strange because its so big but theres no sense of community.

Talk to the council or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

There are plenty of clubs locally (Football, Rugby, GAA, Badminton etc)that are always a great social outlet,

A while back we got a know your neighbour flyer through the door and dropped down that weekend for a few beers to meet them,In fairness not a lot of people turned up but it was a great Idea.

I think a lot of people feel Charlesland is a great place to live but if your new to the area find it hard to find new friends, break the mould and invite neighbours \ board members to your house for steak and beers :D

Earlsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Several attempts to organise beers for this forum have failed miserably, but if someone wants to give it another try, I'd happily go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Several attempts to organise beers for this forum have failed miserably, but if someone wants to give it another try, I'd happily go along.

I think once that bar/pub opens in a couple of months, behind Superquinn, i think more people will meet each other. The bloke who owns the Woodlands has taken it according to someone who works in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I think once that bar/pub opens in a couple of months, behind Superquinn, i think more people will meet each other. The bloke who owns the Woodlands has taken it according to someone who works in there.

Ah now, don't be getting our hopes up...

I suppose footfall might be better though for that publican.

In relation to the loneliest place - I do think it is a case of most people are too busy to bother...but now that there's a bit of a big 'R' on at the moment, people might not be so busy that they'll take the time to say hello, and perhaps head out for a drink or somethin'.

Cavemeister, you've made the first move but perhaps not to the right audience. Next time you see your neighbour, say hello (then stalk them for a week or so), then say 'we must go for a drink sometime'. It works, believe me!;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ah now, don't be getting our hopes up...

I suppose footfall might be better though for that publican.

In relation to the loneliest place - I do think it is a case of most people are too busy to bother...but now that there's a bit of a big 'R' on at the moment, people might not be so busy that they'll take the time to say hello, and perhaps head out for a drink or something'.

Cavemeister, you've made the first move but perhaps not to the right audience. Next time you see your neighbour, say hello (then stalk them for a week or so), then say 'we must go for a drink sometime'. It works, believe me!;)

Maybe we can get some cheep beer from lidl and have a party in the middle of the green? :D

I would go for drinks to meet people from around the area.

Maybe we can get some names from here and if enough show interest we could meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I have been living in Charlesland for about 3 years now. I love the area (grew up here) but have to admit that nobody really wants to know anyone. We are all roughly the same age, with the same type of lifestyle ie. 1st time buyers, 30 somethings, backs to the wall a la budget!! What would be great is if someone was to organise some type of social event now that we are coming in to the summer - We have the green in the centre and would accomodate bbq's bouncing castles, picnic tables etc. what do you think? It would be nice to get to know more people in the area. :D Just wondering if anyone else feels this way???

Great idea - one big street party on the green :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

I'll put my speakers out the window and provide the tunes.........if 60/70 people all went out there and started BBQing and drinking, would anyone actually say anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A big party sounds like a fantastic idea...But I don't think it is the way to get to know people [properly]. I think a private bbq in someone's back garden is better where immediate neighbours get invited. Unfortunately, the apartments don't lend that space for a party for many. If you own a 3 bed end of terrace, they'd be the best places to have a party. I been at a few bbq's in a two bed townhouses, they can be quite tight, especially if it's a rainy day!:cool:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Block parties are the way to go - real american but great fun and great way to meet your neighbours - only problem is our dear weather.....all that organising only to wake up and its lashin.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 millie_honey

I have to agree, I am actually on boards looking for clubs in the area to join. Have joined the new pool but have not found the gym a great place to meet people. With the beach so now near maybe it would be worth arranging a time one day a week where we all brave the Irish sea.... cold but could be a lot of fun..... the Charlesland Chillers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I have to agree, I am actually on boards looking for clubs in the area to join. Have joined the new pool but have not found the gym a great place to meet people. With the beach so now near maybe it would be worth arranging a time one day a week where we all brave the Irish sea.... cold but could be a lot of fun..... the Charlesland Chillers? :)

Charlesland Coronaries more like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 millie_honey

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Charlesland Coronaries more like!

very funny....

look what happens where there is nothing to do mad ideas surface.....:)

well may we could all try walking the beach first... then see who is the bravest...

Advertisement