Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the graphics like in wow

Options
  • 10-04-2009 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

It was released a few years ago, are they still using the same engine or has it been updated, what about the expansion packs are they using the same engine as the original game or did they update, how does it compare to guild wars for example, thats the only mmo i've played,

I know gfx aren't what it's about at all but I'm just curious

Strangely enough a wow trial edition shortcut appeared on my desktop today, no idea where it came from, will have to click it tomorrow and see what happens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I know very little about the technical side, but its very easy to see what the graphics look like for yourself. Theres about 87342937429384729374 videos of it on the net and just as many pictures by searching for images of it on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The graphics do look years old and from a technical standpoint they're nothing special. This doesn't actually take anything away from WoW though as Blizzard focused on an 'artistic' style rather than on super realism. All in all it's held up much better than it should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

MooseJam wrote: »

Strangely enough a wow trial edition shortcut appeared on my desktop today, no idea where it came from, will have to click it tomorrow and see what happens

Well the shortcut appeared via a new graphics card, have just started and enjoying so far - it's a hell of a lot more polished than guild wars, guess you get what you pay for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Gotta love ATI graphics cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

The graphics are still great, the style of them allows them to still look nice 5 years down the line.

Of course there are many better looking games out there but they are perfect for a fantasy MMO for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Anti wrote: »

*cough spit* Nvidia FTW :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Anti wrote: »

it was actually I'm impressed - 4850X2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Uldar patch is brining an update to graphics which can be enabled by users with higer end machines.

Theres also rumours of released of actual dual core and sli capabilities.

Time will tell, but Uldar patch should put a nice new shine onto the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wow "feels" perfect.

If you ever play the likes of City of Heroes, or Guild Wars - you'll understand. Wow's graphics, while nothing special - are just fine. They work well for the game. I wouldn't worry about what the game looks like, but more what it plays like.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Uldar patch is brining an update to graphics which can be enabled by users with higer end machines.

Theres also rumours of released of actual dual core and sli capabilities.

Time will tell, but Uldar patch should put a nice new shine onto the game.

Can you link this?

Have never heard of this and I try to keep up to date on upcoming patch content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

WellyJ wrote: »
    Can you link this?

Have never heard of this and I try to keep up to date on upcoming patch content.

http://www.wowhead.com/?patchnotes=3.1.0-ptr

That contains the info on the updated graphics to northrend content, armour sets etc.

The dual core and sli thing is something thats been talked about in back channels, but its felt WoW is not intense enough yet to really demand the work, which is a fair point. But I'm sure we will see it when there is some new content or event that is like seriously intensive. Wintergrasp is barely breaking a swet on my mediocre computer, so I guess there really ISNT a need for sli and dual core just yet.

TheDoc wrote: »
    http://www.wowhead.com/?patchnotes=3.1.0-ptr

That contains the info on the updated graphics to northrend content, armour sets etc.

The dual core and sli thing is something thats been talked about in back channels, but its felt WoW is not intense enough yet to really demand the work, which is a fair point. But I'm sure we will see it when there is some new content or event that is like seriously intensive. Wintergrasp is barely breaking a swet on my mediocre computer, so I guess there really ISNT a need for sli and dual core just yet.

Cool about the high res textures,

TBH the SLI/Dual Core stuff is just lazyness on their part, saying it is because wow isn't intense enough is a cop out. There would be no downside to adding this support, would only help people.

It reeks of Blizzards laid back attitude they have developed since the Activision merge, new content 6 months after WOTLK is far too long, not to mention the server instability on wednesday nights when everyone is in Naxx, they have been slacking for a while.

Ulduar had better be stunning, or I will have to give up on WOW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When i noticed my pc struggling to play Wrath at its highest settings, that was when i realised I needed to upgrade my machine. They are not the best looking by any means, but the art style is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

One of the reasons I love playing WoW is that it will still play on my 8 year old machine (OK, only on the lowest video settings) and deliver a decent framerate without a gfx card.

Advertisement