Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is and isn't reality tv

Options
  • 10-04-2009 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

since this has been changed form big brother to reality the breath has gone huge?

reality tv, er not much on at the moment 'when women ruled the world?

gorden ramsey reality tv i guess yeah,

design for life , grand design type program on rte, is that reality tv, i don't think so.

which sorta suggests kitchen nightmares isn't really reality tv.

it seems reality tv means talent shows to who ever mods these forums now, are tv talents show reality tv, not when compared to big brother.

bear grylls reality tv nope,

dargons den reality tv, nope.

its a pitch not a reality situation.

leave this forum for beauty and geek and that type of show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good question, lostexpectation. I'm a massive Reality TV fan so I think I can answer this one.

On the surface, Reality TV calls to mind shows like Big Brother (when asked about Reality TV, its the first show that springs to mind for many). However Reality TV has a bunch of sub-genres.

You have your social experiment shows - people from one social background putting themselves into an environment that they may not be comfortable with (or familiar with) - Secret Millionnaire, Faking It, Wife Swap, Beauty and the Geek ...

Fly On The Wall - This covers alot of shows, from the obvious Big Brother, to shows like The Osbournes, Kitchen Nightmares, Newlyweds, and the recent Hoff show on Living. This also covers shows that deal with professions, like Airport / Airline, COPS, Border Patrol, Passport Control, Border Force, and yes - interior design shows etc.

The Gameshow format covers a big chunk of the reality TV genre, where people are eliminated every week - Hells Kitchen USA, Apprentice, Amazing Race, Survivor, American Idol, Britains Got Talent, ANTM, BNTM, Project Runway, Top Chef (I could name 20 more). Any show that whittles a large group of people down to 2 or 3 in the final, and a winner is crowned.

As for your last point about Dragons Den - its a show with real people, presenting to potential investors in highly dramatic, unscripted exchanges. While cameras are watching. I don't know what else you'd call it.... it has always been a Reality TV show to me.

Love to get a debate going on this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I too think of BB when reality tv is mentioned.
    I can't put Hell's Kitchen Wife Swap or even The Osbourne's in the same category because they are pre recorded.

I know the 1 hour BB programme they show at night is mainly highlights of the previous day, but most people have watched the contents of that programme live as it is happening, and then BB put the days happenings into 1 edited hour.

Mabey lostexpectation actually means reality as in live tv, if that is the case the only one I can think of is BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Holmes on Homes is the only reality show I watch..

Unless Dancing With The Stars is under that same umbrella...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Prerecorded does not mean a show is not reality tv.

Hells Kitchen etc falls into the reality tv umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

In my opinion it does though.
    Prerecorded gives the camera crew a chance to stop filming if something goes wrong.
    BB live streaming is different, don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Reality TV should be something that doesn't have a script, director, actors, costumes sets etc. Just a group of people (or celebs) put into whatever situation - cooking, doing up a house, stranded on an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I wouldn't put all the garbage shows like Osbournes, The Hills and so on from MTV into the category. They are about as far from reality as I can imagine. I wouldn't have thought Dragon's Den was either because there is no competing between those taking part like there is in The Apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Most format shows are reality TV while feature programming is not reality TV. However reality and feature are merging more and more.

I think initally reality was just one team v another team or a group of people sitting around doing tasks. (Big Brother, Survivor, Treasure Island etc).

While feature programming consisted of Darina Allen, About the House or Gardening with Gerry Daly. All of which are good but they now need something more.

Feature is becoming more and more reality based. Check Up has become Operation Transformation, Darina Allen has become Corrigan's City Farm and Gerry Daly has become I Want A Gardener. Even Hands has become The Master's Apprentice.

Feature does reside in the background but often it becomes hyped up with some jazzy formating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

I would define reality TV as any show where members of the public take part and get filmed living their everyday lives and performing set tasks. We see them meet each other and interact, we see conflict, we see scheming, we see the good and the bad and the ugly. (Obviously judiciously edited). It has to be a contest of some sort so that in addition to trying to get along, they also have to try to outwit each other.

I hate most reality TV but I like the Apprentice. Mainly because the contestants are not picked for their bizarreness. Of course the makers of the show don't pick the 14 most qualified applicants in the land - they go for reasonably qualified contestants who will add a bit of colour and contrast, but that's ok in my book. They also pick tasks which, although completely contrived, they do test business acumen and basic cop-on. Also rotating the PM role makes things interesting.

I think that shows where real people make a contribution (like Dragon's Den) but where we don't see their character develop through competition and co-operation with each other over several weeks can't really be called Reality TV shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I would'nt see the X-Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Idol as reality television shows anymore than the Eurovision Song Contest or the Rose of Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

X-factor and Britian's Got Talent are both Reality due to their use of Vox Pops and the sad stories about about "how mammy would have wanted me to do this and if she was alive now ...... :("

The are a mix between Eurosong and Popstars.

Advertisement