Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Cow... this is what I want to play like.

• 10-04-2009 3:07am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Seriously. Makes me want to both improve and chop my hands off and give up.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I know the feeling ! :rolleyes: I get it sometimes when I watch some bass playing clips on You Tube. Generally though, it inspires me to keep going because I know that these people got to this stage purely by hard graft, and that there are no short cuts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

TBH it seems like just a bunch of whacky effects. I mean, I'm not exactly the greatest player myself, but it doesn't seem like one would have to work very hard to play able to play that. It would be interesting to hear the same thing on a piano setting with no effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

DeVore wrote: »
    Makes me want to both improve and chop my hands off and give up.

Temptation to compile a list of videos to make DeV chop his hands off... rising... :pac:

TBH it seems like just a bunch of whacky effects. I mean, I'm not exactly the greatest player myself, but it doesn't seem like one would have to work very hard to play able to play that. It would be interesting to hear the same thing on a piano setting with no effects.

I'd agree. I'm not a piano player, but I've seen a lot better than this. Still, I suppose it's enough to give you that "I'm brutal" feeling. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm as piano player.

These guys are pure 'meh'. You want to see some serious skill, check out .. *ponders*.. Bach!

Skip to around 5:15. Think playing melody + chords is hard? Try 4 melodies at once.

And presto agitato:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh, I've seen more digital dexterity and more complex runs etc. But for original sheer head bouncing, never heard anyone doing that with a piano, vibe Ronald Jenkees is eye-poppingly awesome.

DeV.

For another great piano player see the "jazz and blues" forum. Here's the link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055535883

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, Jenkees is indeed a gifted lad, no doubt about it. Just throwing a few more things to make you feel inadequet your way. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yeah, Jenkees is indeed a gifted lad, no doubt about it. Just throwing a few more things to make you feel inadequet your way. :p

My ego is damaged enough without following any more links! Although I did anyway. Pettruciani ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Fantastic! A trumpet well blown, sir. :p

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah... playing like that wouldnt suck either :p:)

Back to Jenkees for a moment, I was giving the comments here some thought and it occured to me that it isnt really about the piano playing (which he's obviously gifted at) its more about his composition and while yes, he's using effects etc... well, I can use the same effects but I cant make anything that sounds like his stuff :)

The first guy on Karls vids didnt do it for me for example, though clearly he's also gifted. The digital dexterity on Moonlight Sonata is *astonishing* but the music isnt his, its someone elses.

I have a soft spot for blues so Pauls stuff is very inspiring (except for all those 7ths and 9ths).

I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever play like that given that I am starting at 39 and not like, 6, as I expect many of these people did :)
    But then I didnt know there WAS a middle C in October and now I can play a little so its all progress.

Still, there is something about Jenkees music thats just WOW, thats awesome to see someone do that with a piano and also I happen to really like the music :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

When I saw the title I was expecting something mad like this

That guy would probably be doing Prokofiev piano concertos if it wasn't for them snoopy snoopy dog dogs.... :rolleyes:

Fair play DeV for taking it up at such a late age. I think whatever offset age has on starting, it is more than compensated for by adequate enthusiasm. That you took up the instrument for the love of it, and are willing to work at it stoically, will always add that edge that child pianists who may have grown up somewhat resenting the practice and time commitment, lack.

Keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Looks like a midi file. these can be arranged as opposed to played live
    I know because I sequence quite a bit of my own stuff

(that said, i use a midi guitar to do it)

banquo wrote: »
    I'm as piano player.

These guys are pure 'meh'. You want to see some serious skill, check out .. *ponders*.. Bach!

Skip to around 5:15. Think playing melody + chords is hard? Try 4 melodies at once.

And presto agitato:

Advertisement