Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is good to live in melbourne

Options
  • 10-04-2009 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Im heading to melbourne next week to work, will be looking for shared accommodation, where are good areas to live?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Carlton, brunswick, fitzroy. Thts area is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Depends what you like really. Most of the back-packers stay around St Kilda, Prahran and Richmond so if you're into that scene there's plenty of hostels and sharehouses around. Can be very expensive though.

A lot of students live in the northern suburbs - Carlton, Fitzroy and Brunswick are the main ones. Again they can be expensive but Brunswick is probably cheapest of the lot. If you don't mind living a bit further out if the city - Northcote and Collingwood are getting nicer and more popular. All of these areas are fairly inner-city and easy to get to the city from and have local bars and restaurants if that's the kind of work you're looking for. I know these areas pretty well but there may be others to be recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Great suggestions.

If you cross St Kilda Road and around Carlisle St & Balaclava train station, loved living there.

Depends on how close you want to be and how busy you want your want your night life, a friend who lived near me in East St Kilda, moved to Mont Albert and finds it dead after 8pm (beautiful area though) and wants to move back in. - If you want to go further out but not to far, no further then Camberwell Junction. Riversdale Road has/had a great tram service, two trams 70 & 109.

Or you could try Albert Park and Port Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Live in albert Park myself at the moment, savage spot, anywhere along there, bit expensive but savage. Albert Park, Middle Park, Port Melbourne, Some parts of Kildas, all good!

I'm moving on at the end of may if you're interested or know a couple that is?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055509906

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

All good suggestions here. I've noticed that accommodation is starting to free up a bit now that the cold weather is starting to come in, and backpackers are heading for warmer climates.

Friends of mine live in St Kilda, very lively spot full of backpackers.

I lived in Richmond, nice area, close to the city. Now living in Prahran, decent area as well. I'd choose St Kilda though as you're close to the beach, and there's a park there on fitzroy street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Just be careful what streets in Kildas cause a few of em have a few "ladies of the night" on em!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

if you actually want to meet australians, steer clear of st kilda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My friends stayed in richmond and I thought it was a great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Albert Park is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

thanks lads for all your suggestions, yeah suppose ill probably head for st kilda area, but there is st kilda east, west etc, what are the dodgy streets i need to stay clear of??

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

grey street is prob the worst street for the ladies of the night... but i think you only find trouble if you look for it. I often fell up and down Grey street while drunk at all hours of the night, due to it being main road between my and my mates apartment, and not once did I have any trouble. In fact in all the time I was in Melbourne, and St Kilda, I never saw any fights, or trouble, or had any hassle at all...
    st kilda is great, lived on carlisle street and wellington street (at the junction) and loved the places I lived in. I even used to walk home from the city to St Kilda some nights, and never had any trouble....
    Good luck in Melbourne, hope you love it there ... I miss it soo much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

You will meet Australians in St Kilda. But I do think live on the Carlisle Street side, Grey Street is a special Street but if you are a girl they do not bother you and if your a guy they may ask you if you want anything but just say no thanks. You could live on Chapel St towards Pharhan (spelling) and South Yarra.

To be honest there is actually not that much trouble, at that part anyway, I cannot guarantee that as it has been a few years, but if I was you wander down, pick up a local paper and see what the local news stories are and go by that.

You could live in Elwood but it can be awkward for public transport and everytime i looked up West St kilda it always seemed a little awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Moonee Ponds :)

Or essendon:rolleyes: its a wee bit far but only an extra train stop

Advertisement