Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Smoothies

Options
  • 10-04-2009 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Just bought a blender with the intention of making myself some high protein smoothies. Anyone got some recipes they would like to share? Supplement free preferably
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

My favourite post workout shake is a scoop of whey, a handful of frozen strawberries or raspberries, some ice, a glass of water, and blend. Yum, tastes like milkshake.

You can also use frozen banana if you want a higher carb smoothie and/or yogurt or skim milk.

As a replacement meal, try whey, ice and water and a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I add ice too, comes out really nice, makes a huge difference room temp ones taste bad IMO. I have unflavoured whey, I put in pineapple chunks and liquidise them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

unflavoured whey you say? Please tell me where you get this........flavoured whey can get revolting pretty fast!

I got mine at www.bulkpowders.co.uk

Depends on how much you are getting, www.myprotein.co.uk might be cheaper, they now have very reasonable postage to Ireland. bulkpowders price is fixed up to about 25kg, so it pays to get more.

I got strawberry flavouring on myprotein too. Otherwise unflavoured can be mixed with all sorts of stuff, uncooked porridge oats, maplesyrup, milk & whey make a nice breakfast. Some make protein bars with it etc. I mix it with oats & milk (no egg) and liquidise and make pancakes too, they are nice & fluffy.

With myprotein you can get 5% off your first order using codes. My code is MP99441 I get some referral points or something when people use it, I think I get a discount on my next order. I have not ordered again but will, and would recommend them.

There is still a flavour to the "unflavoured" whey, I liquidise all my shakes with ice so they are freezing cold like proper milkshakes, this makes a huge difference to how palatable they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

rubadub wrote: »
    I got strawberry flavouring on myprotein too. Otherwise unflavoured can be mixed with all sorts of stuff, uncooked porridge oats, maplesyrup, milk & whey make a nice breakfast. Some make protein bars with it etc. I mix it with oats & milk (no egg) and liquidise and make pancakes too, they are nice & fluffy.

How do you do this?

I know how to make pancakes with whey as an ingredient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Damien Maher's recipe

1/2 cup pecans
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/3 cup flaxsmeal
    1/3 cup nut butter
    4-6 eggs
    pinch salt
    1/3 cup honey
    6 scoops protein powder

Mix, put on an oiled baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes at 175 degrees.

Thanks eileen,

But what's nut butter and where can I buy it?

Just peanut butter, I suppose they mean whatever "nut butter" you want, i.e. in health shops you can get cashew, hazelnut etc butters, but they are usually very expensive. Holland & barret do meridian unsalted 100% peanut butter, about €7 per kilo which is a good price.

Otherwise you can just make your own, most peanut butter is just blended up nuts. I love cashews, in asian shops you can get them unsalted & unroasted for ~€10 per kilo

I'll be paying a visit to hollands and barrets after work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

EileenG wrote: »
    Damien Maher's recipe

1/2 cup pecans
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/3 cup flaxsmeal
    1/3 cup nut butter
    4-6 eggs
    pinch salt
    1/3 cup honey
    6 scoops protein powder

When you say mix do you mean blend the lot?

• Advertisement

I'll be paying a visit to hollands and barrets after work tomorrow.

It wasn't on the shelf last time I went in, I had to ask, and I think somebody else said the same thing recently. Dunno if it takes up too much room or they are trying to flog the more expensive stuff. Just ask for the 1kg tub, there is only 1 brand, though they might have crunchy or smooth.
    Davei141 wrote: »
    When you say mix do you mean blend the lot?
    You could, I would keep those pecans & walnuts just broken up and not "butter", just to give texture. Also you might want to warm up the honey & peanut butter a little to get them runny to mix better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Cheers for that, will attempt to make these when i have all the supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

rubadub wrote: »
    Just peanut butter, I suppose they mean whatever "nut butter" you want, i.e. in health shops you can get cashew, hazelnut etc butters, but they are usually very expensive. Holland & barret do meridian unsalted 100% peanut butter, about €7 per kilo which is a good price.

Otherwise you can just make your own, most peanut butter is just blended up nuts. I love cashews, in asian shops you can get them unsalted & unroasted for ~€10 per kilo

I love those kilo tubs of peanut butter...feel like a bit of a glutton buying them but I do get months out of them and it's great to have a large amount of it around when the "high protein baking/cooking urge" hits me every now and then.:D

Nourish health food shops do them as well.

EileenG wrote: »
    Damien Maher's recipe

1/2 cup pecans
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/3 cup flaxsmeal
    1/3 cup nut butter
    4-6 eggs
    pinch salt
    1/3 cup honey
    6 scoops protein powder

I finally got around to making this today. I didn't expect it to turn out so well. Made it more into a cake and cut it into small pieces. Very filling and reminds me of a fruit cake.

I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I wonder how long these would keep in the fridge for?

Advertisement