Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebuilding Afghanistan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

to make up one.
    Is this the appropriate phrasing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Speaking of, we have absolutely no idea who will be replacing us, or when. Dates vary from "They'll be here by mid February" through "you might go home mid April". There are theories we could be extended at least until June, but right now, not on the cards.

Good to see we're not the only ones with on the bus off the bus!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Deep trenches and shedloads of 5.56 should see you through it. Explosives don't have the same effect on the undead as accurate small arms fire. Just watch out for ZBIED's :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Actually, we had a discussion with the redlegs on that one. Although we agree that in terms of simple effectiveness a VT fuse would probably be far more effective (All that fragmentation coming down from above will have an excellent hit ratio for their brains) the point was made that point detonation would actually be far more satisfying as it would result in spectacular explosions with zombie parts flying everywhere.

One must not forget style.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

If you want the "hands-on" approach a simple hurley stick is satisfying,although the risk involved is considerbly higher. Never use a stick with a stabbing point though as you dont want to lose it in a zombie. And for 4th of July,petrol and lots of it.

Edit: On a more serious note it seems ISAF are willing to sit down with the Taliban: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8484140.stm

What do you make of this Manic? Obviously I know it would be great but from on the ground do you think it could work? It will be interesting to see wether the Taliban are willing to talk for the benifit of the Afghan people or will they just continue in their attacks on westerners?

• Advertisement

Mine flail or steam roller FTW.

The problem with explosives is that every zombie that is shredded but not killed is still active, dragging themselves through the undergrowth or lying there as an undead 'landmine'. Personally, I like my targets upright and shambling ;)

I suggest Max Brooks book World War Z - An Oral History of the Zombie War (ISBN 978-0-7393-6640-0) for an excellent comparison of conventional warfare (The Battle of Yonkers) to the new doctrine of the New Model Army at the Battle of Hope. :P

We have since considered Victor's suggestion of a road roller. There isn't much undergrowth for them to hide in, so we figure that once blown to pieces (Style points) we can then run over the crawlers/etc with the road-roller. (More style points, and 'double-tap')

And yes, I've read WWZ.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Even though we still don't know who's replacing us, we're going through the leaving process. So, part of that is packing away all our not-so-necessary gear into the container so that it can get shipped home.

Two or three things to note.
    1) There's a lot of un-necessary gear that we brought. My large black footlocker remained generally unopened for the whole time it was here. It's taking a couple of rugs back, but most everything else that came out was unused. Generally boots, extreme cold-weather gear, that sort of thing. Of course, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    2) Never ship anything you're not prepared to have stolen. We have little faith in Pakistani security for these things. Only problem is in trying to make sure that everything you don't want to ship will actually fit in the bags you're allowed to take on the airplane with you.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have any more of your boys signed up for another tour Manic?

Any word on the murderer on base?

A few have signed on for extensions of between a month and three. Not many have signed on for a full tour, but a couple have.

No official word on the ongoing investigation.

Mental note to self: Do not brief Brigade that the purpose in your battalion mission statement is "in order to inflict righteous vengeance upon the IED cell"

Time for a few more photos.

AW: My ride from Kandahar to Zabul
    Chin: Changing out a signal truck.
    FR: Change of command ceremony at the local French base
    Mean: Santa who believes 'The toys must get through!'

NTM

And a few more.

Kiddies: One of my lads in Qalat
    Noidea: A Canadian.
    Slaughter: A sheep being slaughtered at a bridge opening.
    Zabul: General view of central Zabul province.

NTM

The Chinook shot - are truck and trailer still meant to be connected? I'm not sure if the tow bar is designed to take the effects or either being at peculiar angles. :)

Sure they are.

Think of how much stress the pintle/bar would be placed under when driving the things loaded cross-country at any speed. And there aren't you're typical pick-up truck tow hitches, here.

NTM

The first eight members of our replacement battalion have shown up.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any more thoughts of what you're gonna do for a job when you get back Manic?

No, can't say I have.

One of the downsides to the end of the tour is that this is when "Jody" strikes. Seven 'Dear Johns' in the last two days. (Though there was a mail drought of late, which might have something to do with it)

NTM

Anyone know anyone who works in Shannon and can sabotage my airplane for an overnight stay?

NTM

Anyone know anyone who works in Shannon and can sabotage my airplane for an overnight stay?

NTM
    You do realise those types do cause a lot of consternation? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

NTM

try and get a lift on a RAF flight from Kandahar - you'll get overnight stops (maybe a week in cyprus...) all the way back to the western hemisphere!

they'll lose your kit obviously, and some mong of an RAF 'Policeman' will ask you why you're wearing funny, dirty clothes, and why you have that black, long thingy, but the lunch boxes are great.

the stewardesses are alright to - as long as you like mincers called 'kevin' who wear white socks and lots of man-made fibres...

Can you not just get off at Shannon and catch the next one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

NTM

If I didn't mind getting arrested I would run at it with an axe, but not really in the mood for jail!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Has anyone any notion why CNN have just broadcast a report{obviously cleared by the military}reporting that Marjah in Helmand province is about to be targeted for a 'major offensive',It even included a report from the military hospitals preperations!also placed great emphasis that it will be coalition exercise,not just an American one.

I always thought the 'element of surprise' to be a hugh factor for success:confused:

So trying to get inside the Talibans head{difficult thing to do:)}
    I would be thinking this is a trap and if i flee will walk straight into it,
    or now is the time to desert,take the money and switch sides.

How could a Taliban member safely approach someone in authority if they chose to switch sides like McChystal has said he hopes to see happen?

Anybody else got suggestions as to the reasoning behind making this so public?

concussion wrote: »

Cheers for that concussion!:)

After a slight respite (and actually finding two (small) bombs before they went off), they had another crack at us. For once (the first time that I can recall), they missed. No damage.

My replacement has arrived. I figure I've got no more than ten proper days of work left. More likely closer to a week.

NTM

I bet your looking forward to getting back home, any plans for a little r+r, p!ss up, etc? Might sound like a strange question..will you miss Afghanistan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Manic,have you noticed any change in the way the enemy operates since your arrival? Are they taking you on as much or sitting back?

Also,what is the general feeling among the locals towards you now after a year?

And whats the first thing you will do when you get back home,sex,burger,beer or just sleep?!

• Advertisement

How could a Taliban member safely approach someone in authority if they chose to switch sides like McChystal has said he hopes to see happen?

Usually they just go to the local tribal elder and say "I'm interested in reconciliation". I don't think they'll change sides, but just lay down arms and go back to normal society.
    I bet your looking forward to getting back home, any plans for a little r+r, p!ss up, etc?

Depends on how quickly I find work. I'd like to get back to Europe for a holiday. But I need income.
    Might sound like a strange question..will you miss Afghanistan?

To a point. You don't live somewhere for most of a year and not get used to it.
    Manic,have you noticed any change in the way the enemy operates since your arrival? Are they taking you on as much or sitting back?

Direct fire is much less frequent. They have learned that they tend to come out on the losing end of such engagements. Roadside bombs have become much more frequent and much larger.
    Also,what is the general feeling among the locals towards you now after a year?

On an individual level, not much. The locals in this part of the country have always acknowledged that our presence is for their better. That said, one of our officers was talking to a local mullah, who had never spoken to an American before. After the conversation, the mullah stated that 'You Americans are nothing like we had been told' and has since become quite an ally.
    And whats the first thing you will do when you get back home,sex,burger,beer or just sleep?!

Due to the way we get home, it's a sort of gradual easing in. Beer will be the first 'available' to us, in Indiana at the demobilisation station. Then when I get home, I'm sure sex will be involved (There had better be). Finally, sleep. For the first time in nine months, I'll have nothing to do. Then, after twenty minutes of extra sleep, I'll be pacing the walls becase I have nothing to do.

On past experience, that'll take me about a week to adjust back to normalcy.

NTM

Manic are you offered counseling on your return?

The last two or three days are the busiest I've been all year. Trying to do my regular job of planning/overseeing operations (using powerpoint), plus co-ordinating training, and a few other bizarre odd jobs I've accumulated (Many of which use powerpoint), whilst also trying to co-ordinate the movement of two battalions scattered over four locations. And while I'm at it also filling out powerpoint slides to brief people as to what I'm doing when I'm not spending my time filling out powerpoint slides to tell them what I've got in my inbox.

I don't know what job I'll be doing when I get home, but insh'Allah, powerpoint won't be anywhere in the job description.

Counselling? The Chaplain and Combat Stress teams have both been generally available here all year.

NTM

In 2003, one ship commander in the Persian Gulf vastly improved available bandwidth by banning Powerpoint. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

willthis be the end of the blog....or will you continue into civilian life until your next deployment? (are you deploying again? , not to afghanistan because the pullout but maybe iraq or iran)

Mousey- wrote: »
    willthis be the end of the blog....or will you continue into civilian life until your next deployment? (are you deploying again? , not to afghanistan because the pullout but maybe iraq or iran)

or Yemen:D

Christ Mousey I hope that Maniac, manic moran keeps posting even just as an 'ordinary member' like he was when i had my first 'skirmish'with him about the sinking of the Belgrano,I still have the bruises from that!:eek::)

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    I bet your looking forward to getting back home, any plans for a little r+r, p!ss up, etc? Might sound like a strange question..will you miss Afghanistan?

Iceage if only the Coalition forces would stop missing their intended targets!;)

I see since My last post that Kharrzi has sacked the electoral commision who declared his re-election a fraud{the election that so many troops lost their lives for} and replaced them with his chosen cronies,He's such a prick!

In one fell swoop he has justified Obamas decision to hold a run-off election{which the opposistion leader eventually decided to concede}

Obamas decision to insist on a 'legitamate' free and fair election delayed the extra troop deployment which McChrystal wanted by about six months.
    When missiles missed their targets and killed non taliban,McChrystal had to apologise to Kharrzi,i bet of all the untasteful things Mc has had to do/order that apology was the most difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Well maybe McCrystal shouldn't be apologizing in the first place, certainly not before any proper investigation has taken place and given an accurate representation of the incident.

Around here, an apology now is far better than exoneration three weeks from today. By then, the damage is done and nobody can remember what the hell happened anyway.

One of those perpetual problems is that people think that Afghans (or Iraqis) think the same way we do in the West. In the US, an admission of liability (and condolance payment) is considered to be a horrible shame. In Afghanistan, failing to make a payment is considered dishonourable, even if you killed the guy with cause with three hundred witnesses. It results in our having to fight two different, and in cases, mutually exclusive wars: One is the on-the-ground war in Afghanistan, where moral codes such as Pashtunwali rule. The other is the media war in the US. Does McChrystal want to focus his attention on a US audience or an Afghan audience this day?

He can do one of three things.
    1) Deny everything until the results come out. Problem is that this loses the 'battle of first truth', the phenomenon that says that whatever story comes out first is accepted as Gospel, and anything contradictory is considered simply damage control. Especially if there is no obvious evidence.
    2) Do absolutely nothing, say nothing, until the investigation is completed. 'Legally' the best option, but in PR terms around here, the worst, as the opposition can say whatever the hell they want for a couple of weeks.
    3) Take the wind out of the oppositions sails, say 'whoops, yeah, sorry about that, honest mistake'. Under the local customs, that, and paying reparations, satisfies honour and life goes on, there's no weeks of drama played out on the air waves or any such. May not play particularly well in the US, but just how much should he care about that?

On other matters, we had our first lift of personnel out of here. I'll be around a few weeks yet, however.

Also had cigar-and-movie night. The Blues Brothers. Finally, a good movie. Cigar was left over from New Year's Eve. We rang in the new year waiting for our rooms to be searched for a murder weapon, weren't much in the mood for celebrating. I have discovered I am apparently not a very good cigar smoker.

NTM

Was the film watched while wearing dark sunglasses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Around here, an apology now is far better than exoneration three weeks from today. By then, the damage is done and nobody can remember what the hell happened anyway.

One of those perpetual problems is that people think that Afghans (or Iraqis) think the same way we do in the West. In the US, an admission of liability (and condolance payment) is considered to be a horrible shame. In Afghanistan, failing to make a payment is considered dishonourable, even if you killed the guy with cause with three hundred witnesses. It results in our having to fight two different, and in cases, mutually exclusive wars: One is the on-the-ground war in Afghanistan, where moral codes such as Pashtunwali rule. The other is the media war in the US. Does McChrystal want to focus his attention on a US audience or an Afghan audience this day?

He can do one of three things.
    1) Deny everything until the results come out. Problem is that this loses the 'battle of first truth', the phenomenon that says that whatever story comes out first is accepted as Gospel, and anything contradictory is considered simply damage control. Especially if there is no obvious evidence.
    2) Do absolutely nothing, say nothing, until the investigation is completed. 'Legally' the best option, but in PR terms around here, the worst, as the opposition can say whatever the hell they want for a couple of weeks.
    3) Take the wind out of the oppositions sails, say 'whoops, yeah, sorry about that, honest mistake'. Under the local customs, that, and paying reparations, satisfies honour and life goes on, there's no weeks of drama played out on the air waves or any such. May not play particularly well in the US, but just how much should he care about that?

On other matters, we had our first lift of personnel out of here. I'll be around a few weeks yet, however.

Also had cigar-and-movie night. The Blues Brothers. Finally, a good movie. Cigar was left over from New Year's Eve. We rang in the new year waiting for our rooms to be searched for a murder weapon, weren't much in the mood for celebrating. I have discovered I am apparently not a very good cigar smoker.

NTM

I've no problem in essence with an apology, the problem I have is that he took unverified speculation as fact and apologized, instead of getting correct information and putting forth a statement. Now the US is flagellating itself in response to the (incorrect) public perception of what happened. Troops on the ground suffer and ROE becomes even more restrictive and counterproductive because he wants to curry favor with the Afghans.

I think that the troops on the ground are having to pay for his decisions to placate Karzai and the rest of the government. The ROE is putting dangerous restrictions on the ability of NATO troops to take the actions necessary to protect themselves from the enemy and prosecute the war properly.

The new guys are getting quite a warm reception from the locals. Not sure if it's because they've spotted the new shoulder patches (But there are still plenty enough Blackhorse patches still here) or because it's just a coincidence that this is the first good-weather full moon we've had in a a few months. The opposition don't need night vision devices etc on nights like we've had recently.

That said, firing over 150 rounds of HE back in their general direction should have given pause for thought. Watched a few RAP rounds go off here, you see the burn for the first second or so, then after about three seconds, up in the night sky, you see the sustainment burn for another second or two. Very pretty, and a little suprising that it can still be as accurate as it is.

NTM

The vast majority of my squadron has left their bases and returned to Bagram. I'm one of the last eleven.

Got kicked out of my hut a few days ago, now living in another one. With the new unit having taken up operations, my work-day has become blissfully short. Now down to starting about 1600 and going on to 2000 or so. Quarter-days!

Now starting the job hunt. Applying for an ROTC instructor's position near me, let's see how that works out.

NTM

Now starting the job hunt. Applying for an ROTC instructor's position near me, let's see how that works out.

NTM

What's the job description for that?

%^*#&@^!!!

After managing to spend the entire tour without utterly whacking myself on the stupidly low door frames, with my last week to go, I do a doozy on my scalp. Two stitches.

And I'm overdue for a haircut. Now I have to try to tell the Afghan barber 'be careful around there with the comb, I have stitches...Stitches. Like this..."
    What's the job description for that?

Hell if I know. Show up at the college, teach students how to do troop-leading-procedures, look smart and attractive, a good, sharp, military role-model.

Or something like that. I'll find out when I show up. I went through OCS, not ROTC.

NTM

It appears that I'm about to start travelling, they've changed my schedule. Don't expect to see too much of me after tonight for a while.

Have spent the day packing, and returning my rifle and sidearm to 'stores' condition. My gear is much lighter without all the ammo.

Now I prepare for my return to stupity. Saluting. Wearing reflective belts. All whilst still on a base in Afghanistan.

Where's that "I hate PT belts" website?

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It appears that I'm about to start travelling, they've changed my schedule. Don't expect to see too much of me after tonight for a while.

Have spent the day packing, and returning my rifle and sidearm to 'stores' condition. My gear is much lighter without all the ammo.

Now I prepare for my return to stupity. Saluting. Wearing reflective belts. All whilst still on a base in Afghanistan.

Where's that "I hate PT belts" website?

NTM

Well then since you probably won't be on for a few days.

Safe home, enjoy the flights and the post-war booze/sex. Glad to see you got out relatively unharmed aside from the hitting your head! :D

+1. Might be able to blag a leg over with the stitches..."Let me show you my war wound! :D

Great job keeping us up to speed/informed and entertained with your posts while there Manic Moran I'm sure all the rest here on Boards agree dude. Best wishes to all your lads as well. A tough and sometimes thankless job I'm sure but its done and dusted..best of luck to your replacements. Nails mate.

Thought it best to drop these in this thread, rather than all over the place.

Coldstream Guards on patrol Helmand province Afghanistan.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/uk/being+watched+on+the+afghan+frontline/3579862

Another lucky fella survives a round to the lid halfway through the Vid.

Still in purgatory. Will be here for a while.

Swung by the hospital today to get my TB test read, I thought it somewhat ironic that the Irishman was the one person not wearing green shamrock antennae or big Irish hats.

Should try to find a 'Kiss me, I'm Irish' T-shirt.

NTM

• Advertisement
Advertisement