Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebuilding Afghanistan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Are you enjoying your time over there Manic?(between the shooting that is)

It has its moments, but it's sortof humdrum. I'm driving a desk, after all. With the weather becoming more reasonable, I might start going out and about a bit more.
    What is the general feeling among the Afghan people towards yourself and the other ISAF forces?

They certainly love the money and infrastructure we bring. Everyone loves to see the Provincial Reconstruction Team show up, there might be water or a road in their future. Most seem to like us on a personal level and think that we believe we are there for their benefit. Of course, there are a few who like to shoot at us. Opinions seem more mixed on our effectiveness. We haven't rid corruption in the government, we've not kicked the Taliban out.
    Interestingly, recent observations are that with the restriction in our Rules of Engagement we are getting less co-operation from the locals: The impression is that they believe we are less willing to fight the Taliban/HiG/Whoever and are thus they are less willing to take risks to help us. The opposition, of course, uses intimidation of the locals to prevent co-operation, and if we can't give the impression of giving security, co-operation is reduced.
    Do you feel your presence is making a difference?

Not as much as we could be. We are desperately short on manpower. Until I got here, I had no idea how manpower-intensive Afghanistan is compared to Iraq. We have much greater potential than we are currently offering.

NTM

Continuing onwards... Another RG-31 blown up. Supposedly one trooper has a broken back. I question that assessment given that he was running up and down hills for an hour after the explosion before complaining, but maybe there's a crack or something. Either that, or he's seriously hardcore. Other guys are just standard concussions. We think we caught the triggerman. Without hard evidence, however... he's let off to try again.

Shortly after we got here, there was an outbreak of appendicitis. Three or four cases in the first week. Outbreak stopped. Now, all of a sudden, we lose a half dozen people to Malaria. Stupid way to lose manpower, and we're already well strapped for people.

Yes, we're given daily pills. I guess some people weren't taking them.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,569 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Manic.. inspiring stuff, makes me feel like a bit of a twat for thinking I'm doing a service by signing up to the navy reserve!

If you don't mind my asking - do you have a kill count? If so, would you mind announcing it?

Also.. the NTM sign off, I'm wondering about that too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Tellox the meaning of 'N T M' mysytified me for a long time too!
    I now know what it means but if you were told unfortunatly you would have to be killed!

Manic thanks again for the continuing updates and we can only guess how frustrating it is for You not to be able to report all you see and know:(
    sorry if i hardly ever use the thanks option,it just seems innapropiate when deaths are happening.

as ever,be safe!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I just keep getting a server error message with that link..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Cheers Donny5 that works mate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

NTM is his name Nato Tank Mauler :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ynotdu wrote: »
    Tellox the meaning of 'N T M' mysytified me for a long time too!
    I now know what it means but if you were told unfortunatly you would have to be killed!

Manic thanks again for the continuing updates and we can only guess how frustrating it is for You not to be able to report all you see and know:(
    sorry if i hardly ever use the thanks option,it just seems innapropiate when deaths are happening.

as ever,be safe!:)

NTM is his name.

The N, I won't say in case he doesn't want it to be.
    The T, I am sure it's Tiberius because it's badass.
    The M, is Obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

You can watch the whole documentary here

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/obamaswar

Tellox wrote: »
    If you don't mind my asking - do you have a kill count? If so, would you mind announcing it?

Personal or unit?
    Also.. the NTM sign off, I'm wondering about that too :P

Initials.

I am deathly worried I may have broken my foot. It's certainly gone purple and it hurts, but I'm able to walk on it without too much trouble and doesn't seem to have swollen too much. Hopefully I'll be OK.

How did I do this, you may ask? Was I running for cover in a firefight and I fell? Did a HMMWV run over me? What was this war-zone hazard which has waylaid my extremity?

I was playing with a radio controlled car, misjudged the steering, and rammed the damned thing into the side of my foot at full tilt.

I'll see what it's like tomorrow, if it's still dodgy I'll go to the medics.

NTM

I hate to say it Manic, but I am laughing at you right now because of how you fcuked your foot!!!

Hope it's not broken though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

What kinda of car was it?!

Mini,Its easy to laugh when he is a few thousand miles away!

Yes it is!!!

• Advertisement

Very fast, and not very soft.

I won't be for ever, you know.

NTM

Were you wearing your boots, or wandering around barefoot? If I jokingly called you an F-ing Idiot (meant in the nicest possible way and out of genuine concern) would I get my a$$ banned?

Can't believe I just posted that, but can't take it back now! honestly I call everyone i know who does something slighty daft a so-an-so idiot. :)

f I jokingly called you an F-ing Idiot (meant in the nicest possible way and out of genuine concern) would I get my a$$ banned?

Yes.

So don't.

NTM :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

iceage wrote: »
    Were you wearing your boots, or wandering around barefoot? If I jokingly called you an F-ing Idiot (meant in the nicest possible way and out of genuine concern) would I get my a$$ banned?

Can't believe I just posted that, but can't take it back now! honestly I call everyone i know who does something slighty daft a so-an-so idiot. :)

We all break something in a stupid way at least once in our lifetime!

I broke my shoulder when a fat kid fell on me!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

I would pay to see a picture of that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

We all break something in a stupid way at least once in our lifetime!

Broke my toe wen I hit it on my shower door!

I did break my arm once by falling onto a ladder.

NTM

I did break my arm once by falling onto a ladder.

NTM

Falling ONTO a ladder or a Ladder falling on you. or you falling off a ladder?

How do you fall onto a ladder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Falling ONTO a ladder or a Ladder falling on you. or you falling off a ladder?

How do you fall onto a ladder?

Tripped over his toy car perhaps?

Rcvd Manic:o I used to have a nasty habit of doing myself injuries, my missus says I'm accident prone, she knows me so well! my latest escapade was nearly blinding myself in the garden...don't ask.

Don't get on well with ladders either.

Yes, onto a ladder. Unfortunately, as I fell onto it, it brought the ladder down as well, and I managed to get my arm between the ladder and the ground. My weight landed on the ladder, which then landed on my arm.

We have a distinguished political guest. The Lt Governor of Guam is going to be spending the next three months or so here with us. Of course, he outranks pretty much every person here.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Personal or unit?
    both :P please.....

btw where were you to fall onto a ladder.....a roof???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mousey- wrote: »
    both :P please.....
    Isn't that a bit morbid / voyeuristic / snuff like?

Victor wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit morbid / voyeuristic / snuff like?
    i like statistics i supose

i didnt ask in the first place :mad:
    he dosnt have to answer either.....
    but he did pose the qustion of which one we wanted to hear so i assumed he was open to it.

Might just be curious as to what sort of mindset you have.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Manic, what are your views on this story?

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/italy-denies-reports-it-paid-taliban-to-keep-the-peace-1915622.html
    Italy denies reports it paid Taliban to keep the peace

By Alessandra Rizzo in Rome

Friday October 16 2009

ITALY and NATO last night denied a report that Italian intelligence secretly paid the Taliban thousands of dollars to keep the peace in an Afghan area under Italian control.
    Premier Silvio Berlusconi's office called the report "completely groundless". The Italian defence minister denounced it as "rubbish" and said he wanted to sue the newspaper.
    In Kabul, a US spokesman for NATO forces in Afghanistan denied the allegations. "We don't do bribes," Colonel Wayne Shanks said. "We don't pay the insurgents."
    "The article has unnamed sources, innuendo and hyperbole," Col Shanks said. "We see no evidence of any of the accusations."
    Warlords
    'The Times' reported that Italy had paid "tens of thousands of dollars" to Taliban commanders and warlords in the Surobi district, east of the capital, Kabul. The newspaper cited unnamed Western military officials, including high-ranking officers at NATO.
    It accused Rome of failing to inform its allies about the payments and of misleading the French, who took over the Surobi district in mid-2008, thinking the area was quiet and safe. Shortly afterward, French troops were hit with an ambush that killed 10 soldiers and had significant political repercussions back in Paris.
    French defence ministry spokesman Christophe Prazuck said he had "no information to confirm what had been written in 'The Times'" and stressed that allied troops in Afghanistan shared information and enjoyed mutual trust.
    The August 18, 2008, ambush of the French in a mountain pass was the biggest single combat loss for international forces in Afghanistan in more than three years. The attack, which also injured 21 people, shocked the French public and French officials came under heavy pressure to explain how the troops got caught in such a well-planned and unusually bloody ambush.
    A statement by Mr Berlusconi's office strongly refuted the report. "The Berlusconi government has never authorised nor has it allowed any form of payment toward members of the Taliban insurgence," the statement said, adding that it did not know of any such payment by the previous government.
    Mr Berlusconi won elections in April 2008, replacing a centre-left government headed by Romano Prodi. Speaking through a spokeswoman, Mr Prodi said he was "not aware and was never aware of the events reported by 'The Times'." His defence minister, Arturo Parisi, rejected the claims "with disdain" saying in a statement that they were "groundless".
    Mr Parisi "never authorised nor allowed, nor was ever informed of any form of payment to groups of Taliban terrorists", the statement said.
    Still, Italy of Values, a small opposition party and former Prodi ally, called on the Berlusconi government to answer questions on the report.
    Mr Berlusconi's statement noted that the Italian contingent was praised at the time by the ISAF, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force. It quoted the former US commander in Afghanistan, General David McKiernan, as saying the Italians had achieved results in the area, especially in the construction of wells, bridges, schools and through aid to the agriculture.
    Attacks
    The statement also noted that in the first half of last year, the Italian contingent suffered several attacks, and one soldier was killed in Surobi in February 2008. The statement also denied that the US ambassador to Italy had made a formal complaint in June 2008 over alleged payments to the Taliban, as 'The Times' reported.
    Commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan have, however, been doling out money for years to compensate civilians for combat losses and for civilian projects. Col Shanks said yesterday that commanders did have funds available to use in their area, but insisted the money went to development projects decided with local leaders or in compensation for damage done during battles.
    - Alessandra Rizzo in Rome
    Irish Independent

Knowing the opposition in that area (they are actually based in our area: When I go play with the French, I go to Surobi) I'm inclined to discredit it.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, weren't the quite 'generous' in handing out money to the "sons of Iraq" types?

quick qustion....

have you got any other souviners besides the rug a few pages back????
    and how available are weapons???? ak47s etc... and at what price???

just wondering after the bribe story as 10s of thousands dosnt sound like much for an international bribe until you think you can get an ak47 for 20 euro during the afghani tiger.... but in these recession fueled times what would the price be?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

How's the foot big man?

I was asking about your personal kill count.

Tellox wrote: »
    How's the foot big man?

I was asking about your personal kill count.

It would probably be considered rude to ask how many people he has killed.

Mousey- wrote: »
    quick qustion....

have you got any other souviners besides the rug a few pages back????
    and how available are weapons???? ak47s etc... and at what price???

A few gemstones. It's quite an industry around here. I bought a few sample ones, sent them back for valuation, see if it's worth importing a few more or not.

Generally speaking rifles available for purchase are bolt-actions and older. The Afghans have figured out the import laws for Americans. Weapons pre-1898 are authorised for import, ostensibly they may also not fire modern ammunition (so Mosins and Enfields are theoretically out), but the lawyers seem not to be too worried about it. You can pick up a functional MkI* (The most modern 'legal' Lee Enfield) for about $150. I'd have it checked out by a gunsmith before shooting it, though!

Foot is OK. Personal kill count is 'zero,' I've come closer to killing some idiots at Brigade than I have the enemy.

NTM

hmmm gemstones.....very nice....
    I thought heroin and cocaine woukd be the main export....i think it was 70 or 90 % is produced :)
    youd probly get more for it as well.....:rolleyes:

i wouldnt see the problem with you guys bringing back a gun or two...yous are trained how to use them. it would just depend on state law really.

Federal law on imports is very strict. It's why you can purchase a greater variety of firearms in places like Europe and Canada than you can in the US.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

Heres an article I came across on 2 Rifles tour.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6852533.ece

In April this year it became 2 Rifles’ dubious fortune to be sent to Sangin on a six-month tour. By mid-August their battle group, a composite force from various units built around a core of several hundred riflemen and fusiliers, had the worst casualties of any British brigade sent to Helmand, with just over 100 soldiers killed or wounded: a fifth of their total patrol troops. The trend suggested that by the time the battle group’s tour ends this month as many as one in four of these infantrymen will have been slain or injured, a figure that compares with British infantry casualty ratios in Europe during the later stages of the Second World War.

I watched the last hour of CNNi,s live feed of CNN domestic's service today.It devoted its last hour to Afghanistans future.Obamas chief of staff Rahan Emanuel{dont let his name kid you,He is one tough cookie!}
    He said even though the White house wants to consider ALL options,the administration consider the still undeclared election result "flawed"and the WH thinks that either "there should be negotiations between the Afghan Govt and the opposistion,or a run-off election,as America wants to be sure it is siding with a truely Democraticly elected Govt before commiting anything more.

John Kerry{also a Democrat}was interviewed Live from Afgha and he said from talking to 'people on the ground'They reckon a run-off election could be achieved in two weeks once agreed.He said their main problem with the Election that was held already is they feel people wanting to vote in the South of Afgha "Did not feel secure"on polling day.

John McCain{Republican} said 40,000 extra troops should be sent ASAP.
    apparently even if 40,000 extra troops were decided upon it would be well after Christmas before that total could be dispatched.McCain added that "We don't want or need half measures"

Senators Kerry&McCain both served & suffered a lot in Vietnam{in other words IMO their opinions deserve some resect at least}

I DO have a question!:)
    How do troops in Afghanistan feel about this apparent dithering in the administration?Do you's follow what is said in Washington?how many troops actually let themselves 'be bothered' by flying WORDS!
    how many just ignore the 'bigger picture' and just concern themselves with whatever the day might bring?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

IMO they are doing the right thing. Sending in troops will do what? Sure it will help short term but Afghanistan will only be solved via a political solution, it will not be solved militarily.

The fact that they have to sort out the election results first shows what a mess the place is.

thanks jank,hopefully others will if they can throw in their 3c worth also.
    I Should have added that were Kerry&McCain disagreed was Kerrys fears of a massive sudden influx of troops would just send the taliban in bigger numbers into Pakistan creating an out of control situation!{troops would almost need to be beamed down to cover the border region to stop that bunch of cowards the taliban fleeing again}

{personally i STILL think Pakistan ousting Musharreff was a big mistake}

the WH thinks that either "there should be negotiations between the Afghan Govt and the opposistion,or a run-off election,as America wants to be sure it is siding with a truely Democraticly elected Govt before commiting anything more.

That is just utter daftness.

For starters, we've been assuming a run-off for the last month. After all the allegations of corruption etc it very obviously didn't matter how much Karzai won by, the run-off was a political necessity. It doesn't take an Ivy League education to see that. That hasn't meant that we've stopped trying to fight the war in the meantime. McChrystal has figured this out. Why Obama is refusing to listen to the subject matter expert he put in there is beyond rational thought. (Of course, I am presuming that politics are not rational). There is no reason that we can't both send more troops and have a run-off. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Secondly, it's not going to matter a damn if either Karzai or Abdullah wins the election or how 'truly democratically elected it is' if we allow the Taliban/HiG/Sisters of Mercy to gain sufficient momentum or if we lose the confidence of the Afghan citizenry, which is already waning. They listen to world news as well. The opposition areccertainly not waiting around to see the results of the election before continuing their offensives.

The question in my mind is not 'should Karzai or Abdullah be in charge?'. To me, the question is 'Are we going to let the Taliban and other insurgent forces win?' The one has nothing to do with the other.
    How do troops in Afghanistan feel about this apparent dithering in the administration?

I think I can speak for everyone I know when I say "Hurry up and send us the damned troops"
    Do you's follow what is said in Washington?

Yes. It's rather important to our future.
    how many just ignore the 'bigger picture' and just concern themselves with whatever the day might bring?

Very few. What goes on in Washington will have quite an effect on what the next day might bring.
    Sure it will help short term but Afghanistan will only be solved via a political solution, it will not be solved militarily.

Agreed, but in order to set the conditions for a political solution, you need to have physical security. Certainly the answer is not simply 'more troops', frankly, we could do with a lot more diplomats and police trainers too. But until people feel secure enough that they think that they can talk, then you're not going to get very far politically.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

John Kerry commanded a swift boat in Vietnam.

General McChrystal commanded an ODA in 7th SFG(Airborne), was CO of the 75th Ranger Regiment, commanded JSOC for 5 years and in that time JSOC was responsible for the death of al-Zarqawi and the capture of Saddam Hussein.

Quite the gulf in practical, relevant experience isn't there?

UW and COIN are McChrystal's bread and butter, the man knows how to fight the kind of war needed to tackle the Taliban. If he asks for 40,000 more troops, you can be sure as **** that he really needs them. I've been involved in discussions where troops on the ground, everything from Infantry to SOF, have said that more troops are needed, the top commander on the ground say that more troops on the ground are needed.

I really don't see what all the pussy footing from Obama and his yes men is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Thats an impressive CV.

I'm wondering is 40,000 enough. I also reckon that if this guy has asked for them, then they are definately needed and needed fast.

iceage wrote: »
    I'm wondering is 40,000 enough. I also reckon that if this guy has asked for them, then they are definately needed and needed fast.

It's no guarantee. McChrystal proposed three options, low-risk, high-risk, and medium risk. 40,000 was the medium-risk option. High risk was 20,000. Low-risk was 80,000.

That said, realistically, they don't need to get here tomorrow. The end of fighting season is about upon us, and there is until March or so to build up the forces. The benefit to the quick announcement is psychological: We had this problem in Iraq as well: The locals have no idea if the US was willing to take the job seriously (They watch the news, after all, and could see the politics in the US) and backing the side that's likely to leave could be terminal if, indeed, they do leave. An announcement of a sizeable force would be a signal of determination and would be a boost of confidence to to the Afghans.

NTM

Brown has said 500 more troops will deploy from the UK, pending certain conditions and assurances. Interesting to see which others in ISAF, if any are preparing to follow suit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That is just utter daftness.

For starters, we've been assuming a run-off for the last month. After all the allegations of corruption etc it very obviously didn't matter how much Karzai won by, the run-off was a political necessity. It doesn't take an Ivy League education to see that. That hasn't meant that we've stopped trying to fight the war in the meantime. McChrystal has figured this out. Why Obama is refusing to listen to the subject matter expert he put in there is beyond rational thought. (Of course, I am presuming that politics are not rational). There is no reason that we can't both send more troops and have a run-off. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Secondly, it's not going to matter a damn if either Karzai or Abdullah wins the election or how 'truly democratically elected it is' if we allow the Taliban/HiG/Sisters of Mercy to gain sufficient momentum or if we lose the confidence of the Afghan citizenry, which is already waning. They listen to world news as well. The opposition areccertainly not waiting around to see the results of the election before continuing their offensives.

The question in my mind is not 'should Karzai or Abdullah be in charge?'. To me, the question is 'Are we going to let the Taliban and other insurgent forces win?' The one has nothing to do with the other.

I think I can speak for everyone I know when I say "Hurry up and send us the damned troops"

Yes. It's rather important to our future.

Very few. What goes on in Washington will have quite an effect on what the next day might bring.

Agreed, but in order to set the conditions for a political solution, you need to have physical security. Certainly the answer is not simply 'more troops', frankly, we could do with a lot more diplomats and police trainers too. But until people feel secure enough that they think that they can talk, then you're not going to get very far politically.

NTM

I think of course it matters. If you are trying to build a democracy you need to have some semblance of government. If it were that simple they could install some diplomat as a puppet president and send in 100,000 soldiers to blow whoever to kingdom come, but what happens after....what happens in a vacuum?

As I said this situation will not be solved by the number of soldiers on the ground, it has to be solved politically. There are already talks of making a "deal" (i.e pay them off) with the taliban. The Italians were onto something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement