Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebuilding Afghanistan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

What a load of bollocks.[/QUOTE

Actually it's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Happy Christmas Manic.As ever keep safe and thanks for the updates,interesting stuff so it is:)

Tell the rest of the troops the same aswell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've made it to my destination, FOB Smart, which is on the outskirts of Qalat, Zabul province.

Computer/'phone room is filled with people saying 'Merry Christmas' to family.

No snow here.

NTM

Took a CH-47 up to a Bridge Opening ceremony. Not sure what purpose the bridge served, there seemed very few people up where I was, but anyway. Standard sort of stuff, speeches, photographs, ribbon-cutting and sheep-slaughtering.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Victor wrote: »
    http://www.icasualties.org/

Iraq 4371
    Afghanistan 937

over 4000 American's died in Iraq?? Jesus!

I thought afghanistan would've been more dangerous than Iraq and afghanistan have more deaths.

There were a lot more Americans to kill in Iraq and, frankly, we were more willing to take the fight to the enemy. When you go looking for trouble, you sometimes find it. Some of the months where there were increased casualty rates for the US, the doomsayers are going "The enemy are getting better, we're getting worse, the mission is doomed" when, in fact, you will have almost zero casualties if you just sit on your base and do nothing, but if you actively go out and try to do something, you're putting yourself at greater risk for greater gain. Paradoxically, the increased casualty levels were a sign of progress.

I expect the same will happen in Afghanistan. We've seen it on a smaller level in the South of the country recently. Reinforcements have allowed us to do more operations, means we go out and find the opposition more frequently. They kill more of us, we kill more of them. The ratios remain about the same though.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Did any big wigs make a trip over for the holidays Manic?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

There were a lot more Americans to kill in Iraq and, frankly, we were more willing to take the fight to the enemy. When you go looking for trouble, you sometimes find it. Some of the months where there were increased casualty rates for the US, the doomsayers are going "The enemy are getting better, we're getting worse, the mission is doomed" when, in fact, you will have almost zero casualties if you just sit on your base and do nothing, but if you actively go out and try to do something, you're putting yourself at greater risk for greater gain. Paradoxically, the increased casualty levels were a sign of progress.

I expect the same will happen in Afghanistan. We've seen it on a smaller level in the South of the country recently. Reinforcements have allowed us to do more operations, means we go out and find the opposition more frequently. They kill more of us, we kill more of them. The ratios remain about the same though.

NTM

Which branch are you in and what's your MOS?

Don't read back over the thread much, do you?

Army, 19C.
    Did any big wigs make a trip over for the holidays Manic?

None that I saw. I'm sure some did, but they didn't grace me personally with their presence.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Don't read back over the thread much, do you?

Army, 19C.

None that I saw. I'm sure some did, but they didn't grace me personally with their presence.

NTM

I did actually read back over the thread but I didn't see you mention your MOS anywhere, apologies if it was a problem for you to type that out.

I'm asking about branch because I see you've mentioned both the National Guard and the Cavalry; I was under the impression that these were two separate entities.

• Advertisement

Cavalry is 19-series. That's the MOS, i't's a subdivision of Armor.

National Guard is a part of the Army and as an organisation, has nothing to do with MOS: Guardsmen can be anything from infantrymen through Chaplain's Assistants to firefighters.

Have finally gotten out of the Black Hole that is Zabul, and am stopping off at Kandahar. Have found the NAAFI, and Bounty bars, Yorkies, and Jaffa Cakes. And the shop put them in a Spar bag for me. Ahhhh, home.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Have found the NAAFI, and Bounty bars, Yorkies, and Jaffa Cakes. And the shop put them in a Spar bag for me. Ahhhh, home.

NTM

NAAFI! sweet. Man I'm sure its those little " normal" things that make all the differance out there. Bounty bars...hmmmmmm yumyum. :D I hope you cleared them out.

A few hours after dark on New Year's Eve, a soldier from another unit was stabbed to death on the base. We've been on lockdown ever since. Notification was only carried out today, I guess the next-of-kin was hard to find.

Investigation is still ongoing. We've got CID here, as well as a bunch of officers and NCOs in our unit who are police on the civilian side. I'm not going to comment on speculation of motive or if the attacker was American, Local National, or whatever until the investigation is completed.

It's a little disconcerting to think that we're effectively locked into a perimeter with a murderer. There are barely 500 people here. Could have had lunch next to him.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jesus shocking stuff altogether Manic, lets hope whoever it is if found pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

already posted this in the politics but i thought it would be of interest to some of you military types

Islam4uk to march in Wootten Bassett

http://www.islam4uk.com/current-affa...-bassett-march

Islam4UK, a platform for the global front Al-Muhajiroun, would like to announce the launch of a momentous march that is scheduled to take place in the following weeks, details of which will be released shortly inshaa'allah (God willing).

The destination of this very special event is the small market town of Wootton Bassett, located 6 miles Southwest of Swindon, in northern Wiltshire; Wootton Bassett, is currently famous for its public mourning processions held in memory of British soldiers killed whilst on military service in Afghanistan; coffins containing the dismembered bodies of these soldiers are usually draped in union jack flags and driven through the town centre from RAF Lyneham, as a tribute to their ‘sacrifice'.

The proposed march by members of Islam4UK is however of a very different venture, held not in memory of the occupying and merciless British military, but rather the real war dead who have been shunned by the Western media and general public as they were and continue to be horrifically murdered in the name of Democracy and Freedom - the innocent Muslim men, women and children.

It is quite extraordinary, that with well over 100,000 Muslims killed in Afghanistan in the last 8 years that those military serviceman who have directly or indirectly contributed to their death are paraded as war heroes and moreover honoured for what is ultimately genocide.

We at Islam4UK find this totally unacceptable and as a result have decided to launch the ‘Wootton Bassett March' to highlight the real casualties of this brutal Crusade.

If you would like more information about the ‘Wootton Bassett March' or are Muslim and would like to take part in it please contact the following numbers:

General Enquiries: 07961 577 221

Media Enquiries: 07956 600 569

Well, there's a bias-free press release if ever I saw one.

(Mod hat on)
    That's enough of that thread diversion, please.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

ot,Manic Moran I wish you a safe trip and hope you get back well.

Any idea how long you'll stick around the armed services for Manic?
    Would you retire from the Guard and say become a cop somewhere?

I've another 12 years before I can retire.

I'm considering law enforcement in the meantime, but am unsure if it's really the direction I want to go.

NTM

• Advertisement

I've another 12 years before I can retire.

I'm considering law enforcement in the meantime, but am unsure if it's really the direction I want to go.

NTM

Would you need to start on the lowest step of the ladder or will the Army experience help you in that regard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭julien05

what will you do when there are no wars left to fight? do you think this will ever exist? do you think the internet is useful for documenting our existence and will it ever be used against you?

Might help me get in the door, but would be at the lowest rank.
    what will you do when there are no wars left to fight?

Train for the next war.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Great thread gotta say.
    War ain't never gonna stop Julien cause people are dicks.

You could always have a chat with the Discovery Channel Manic, Richard Machowicz is getting a bit long in the tooth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have finally gotten out of the Black Hole that is Zabul, and am stopping off at Kandahar. Have found the NAAFI, and Bounty bars, Yorkies, and Jaffa Cakes. And the shop put them in a Spar bag for me. Ahhhh, home.

NTM
    There was a discussion on BBC radio 4 this morning regarding the fact that none of the bacon served to the British army in Iraq or Afghanistan was sourced in the UK, but as an ex squaddie pointed out, in his 22 years of service none of the bacon he ate was even sourced from a pig, let alone a British one!

• Advertisement

Homicide investigation continues. However, there is a bit of a war on, so operations have generally resumed.

Lost another truck to an IED. The opposition really are very good at what they do, it seems.

On the other hand, in another part of the AO, an attempt at a direct fire ambush on one of our convoys didn't work out so well. Killed at least three opposition, reports are up to six. Combination of some 200 rounds Mk19, a CROWS and a 155 shell.

NTM

Manic, is there a general worry about going out on operations that you may be shot/stabbed not by the enemy but by your own guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Might help me get in the door, but would be at the lowest rank.

Train for the next war.

NTM

Ah so Manic You are off to Yemen next?:pac::pac::)

during the lockdown after the stabbing who investigated?
    I assume even the MP on the base would have to be questioned?
    what is the protocol?

war will stop the day testesterone freezes over!;)

How much is sand an issue with your firearm MM?Do you need to strip and oil it after every outing?Actually what are you using?m4?

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »
    during the lockdown after the stabbing who investigated?
    I assume even the MP on the base would have to be questioned?
    what is the protocol?

CID came in.

They've since co-opted a whole bunch of cops and ex-cops in the unit to assist with the investigation.
    How much is sand an issue with your firearm MM?Do you need to strip and oil it after every outing?Actually what are you using?m4?

Not too much of an issue here, nowhere near as dusty as Iraq. Plus, I have to hand it to the chap who invented the dust cover on the ejection port, it really does keep incidental dirt out of the mechanism. Especially since we keep a mag in the rifle at all times, which was another problem we would sometimes have. "For safety on the base, you must remove your magazine." Thank Christ that's generally over with now. And yes, an M4.
    Manic, is there a general worry about going out on operations that you may be shot/stabbed not by the enemy but by your own guy?

Nope. The stabber is on the base. We're fairly sure he wasn't in one of the combat units.

Another IED. Not a K-Kill though, for whatever reason, this truck might be repairable in a couple of months. I'll be riding up that way this week. Still think I'll take a HMMWV though. No point in going and not seeing anything, and RGs are just so God-awful uncomfortable.

NTM

MM are you and your colleagues happy with the 5.56 round for its purpose?If logistics wasn't an issue would you prefer something more meaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Train for the next war.

NTM

hahaha

Remmy wrote: »
    MM are you and your colleagues happy with the 5.56 round for its purpose?If logistics wasn't an issue would you prefer something more meaty?

I've no problem with it. 7.62mm seems perfectly suitable as the SDR/DM rifle, my issue with the 5.56mm isn't the round, but the 14.5" barrel that it gets fired out of, reducing its velocity and effectiveness.

Have decided on a HMMWV for today's jaunt through IED alley.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

There was a brilliant article in the Sunday Times magazine which featured Brigadier Ed Butler ex commander of 22 SAS and 16AAB and Lt-Gen Ruslan Aushev who was a Reg Commander in the Soviet-Afghan War.

Aushev actually came up with some very practical solutions to help the rebuidling of Afghanistan and also laid though the harsh comprimises that will have to be done by forces in the country (ie sitting down with a Taliban and giving them some invovlment in any peace process). His main point though in the hearts and minds game was to give the Afghans something to hold onto. Curently the country is deslolute and the invasion destroyed it's main source of employment (opium farming which itself was handled horribly), his idea was that construction of very basic structures like a leather factory. Once the people have something that belongs to them, something that can give them hope they won't sit around and let minorites try and take it away.

The other interesting point was to give Karzai a ultimatum, either get hold of the country he is apparently in charge of or abolish the role of presidency and create a federal state under the control of a Tribal Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Stev_o wrote: »
    There was a brilliant article in the Sunday Times magazine which featured Brigadier Ed Butler ex commander of 22 SAS and 16AAB and Lt-Gen Ruslan Aushev who was a Reg Commander in the Soviet-Afghan War.

8<

ntly in charge of or abolish the role of presidency and create a federal state under the control of a Tribal Council.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6971683.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

woah a stabbing....im guessing who ever gets caught will be court marshalled and get the firing sqaud

i also thaught he woul be caught by now...with military discipline and the ability to search anyone and everyone.

So, trip down to the French base. They've been doing some serious construction work down there, I have to hand it to the French, they don't muck around. Their new entry point is confusing enough that a suicide car bomber will get lost in it and not find the main base.

So we drive up, and the lead vehicle opens the door, and is being given directions by a Legionnaire. I walk up, apparently the Legionnaire isn't getting his message across for whatever reason. I start out in French, but the chap replies to me in heavilly accented English that he wants us to go up -that- way, and would we mind please hurrying a bit because we're blocking the gate? I ask him if he's Welsh. "How the F&*$# do you know that?"
    'Because you've got the thickest, heaviest Welsh accent I've ever heard in my life,' I think to myself. 'Sufficient that the American up in the running MRAP and still wearing intercom headset can't figure out what the hell you're saying.'

Had a good chat with him later, quite a sense of humour on the lad. Ex 2-Para, British Army. He says he's got a chap in his section from Cork, so if anyone here knows a Corkonian in 2e REP, tell him 'hi' for me.

Ceremony itself was fair. Then adjourn to the chow hall for lots of talking. And good christ, the bread with lunch was good. They bake the stuff on site. I asked if we could borrow their baker for a while, but was told that there would be a mutiny if we tried that. Next time we go back there, we'll call ahead, and bring a 5-ton.

NTM

Manic whats the strangest thing you've eaten out there?

Has it gotten much colder over the last few weeks?

Any plans to visit the motherland?

• Advertisement

The chow hall calls it 'Ribeye Steak'. I'm not convinced.

There is a form of ice cream on sale around here which is basically frozen sour donkey milk. That's pretty bloody bizarre.

Definitely chilly. Staying out at night is bloody cold, but it doesn't really get below freezing much. Will do at higher altitudes, one of our outer COPs, for example.

Today was "Speak with a ridiculous British accent" night in the TOC. Good laugh.

NTM

Manic whats the strangest thing you've eaten out there?

Has it gotten much colder over the last few weeks?

Any plans to visit the motherland?

Ah helimachopter Question is where is Manic's Motherland?
    He will proably take the fifth:pac::pac::)

In a sense he has two in the west!
    but that Gawdamned Lethal weapon will never tell were his 'emotional'home is!

It's the Army training ya know!:)
    besides which Afghanistan has been Warmer than Ireland of late!:pac::)

Well, lost another MRAP today. At least it was on a different road today, though. One chap will probably end up being sent home due to injuries, a right shame as I rather like the guy. On the plus side, we did pick up a couple of likely characters who are going to be our guests for the next day or two.

In a separate incident, we had another chap shot in the buttocks today. He's been patched up, will be returned to duty.

We received the first shipment of our new M-ATVs today as well. Not as big as a DASH, almost as big as an RG-31, definitely bigger than a HMMWV. Only carries the same as a HMMWV, though, in order to keep the weight down, the armoured compartment is much smaller. Plenty of room for cargo on the flatbed part though. (It's almost like a king-cab pickup). Some nice touches. For example, the bottoms of the rear seats fold up against the seatbacks, increasing cargo space on the floor. There are also suicide doors for the back seats, means greater 360 degree armour protection when getting out, increases the chances of finding a door which you can open no matter which way up the vehicle comes to rest, and, of course, getting in and out of the back seat is a snap. Remains to be seen how good a vehicle it is, of course, at the intended role.

NTM

Manic whats the retail on a MRAP?

About $750k

NTM

Would you even try to estimate how much your units deployment has cost in terms of money, taking into account food, vehicles damaged, ordnance used etc.

Also I presume all the vehicles will stay there for the next unit or will you take some back?

1) Not a chance.

2) All vehicles will stay here.

NTM

After listening to our new Chaplain for a few weeks, I have concluded that he goes for the wrathful God line of thinking.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

After listening to our new Chaplain for a few weeks, I have concluded that he goes for the wrathful God line of thinking.

NTM

I suppose it helps when you are fairly certain that there are no chaplains on the other side with the same line of communication to Him.

• Advertisement

As we're reviewing our base defence drills, we've just noticed a startling omission.

We have no zombie attack drill.

We have engaged our Force Protection Officer and Base Defence and Operations Cell to make up one. We shall also put it into the continuity binder which we'll hand onto our successors.

Speaking of, we have absolutely no idea who will be replacing us, or when. Dates vary from "They'll be here by mid February" through "you might go home mid April". There are theories we could be extended at least until June, but right now, not on the cards.

NTM

Advertisement