Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around....help required!!

• 10-04-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi folks,

My grandad is currently the fine age of 93 years old. He likes nothing better than to have a walk around the farm (which takes a lot out of him as you can imagine). Recently he has developed knee pain which really inhibits his mobility.....he started to use the car to go around but this also hurts his knee, having to get in and out.

I've been trying to think of other ways he could get around...I was thinking of some sort of golf buggy (the floor on these is low so he would have no trouble getting in or out.

My problem is that these are generally fairly expensive (I am a student)...anyone have any idea where I might get a cheap (or free!) old one?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A wheelchair may be your best option here. A motorised one sounds best. A manual one may take a lot out of him.

http://www.medifixservices.ie/medifix/Main/Home.htm

This website may help you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

For what its worth, I really recommend medifix. They are really professional, courteous and friendly.
    They recently changed my mums wheelchair tyres to solid rubber, and were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

the motored wheelchairs are good but if ur talking bout getting around a farm defo would look at the golf buggy. try enquiring at ur local club they might be able to point u in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

philhway wrote: »
    My grandad is currently the fine age of 93 years old.

WOW
    He likes nothing better than to have a walk around the farm (which takes a lot out of him as you can imagine). Recently he has developed knee pain which really inhibits his mobility.....he started to use the car to go around but this also hurts his knee, having to get in and out.

Is it the having to get in or out (which is the same for most vehicles I can envisage: car/golf buggy/quad). Or is it the clutch - in which case an automatic gearbox might help. Or a cabriolet which he doesn't have to get out of in order to experience the outdoors.

Given him my best. Astounding that: 93 years at all - out and about: mindblowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

WOW

Is it the having to get in or out (which is the same for most vehicles I can envisage: car/golf buggy/quad). Or is it the clutch - in which case an automatic gearbox might help. Or a cabriolet which he doesn't have to get out of in order to experience the outdoors.

Given him my best. Astounding that: 93 years at all - out and about: mindblowing.

Aye +1 Fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

There is an interesting article in the current edition of the IWA's Spokeout magazine about a farmer who has adapted a tractor and a quad bike to accomodate his disability (wheelchair user).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 easypc

My Son is using a "Mule" and finds it great. It is easier for him to access than a Quad and is fully rugged.
    Prior to this he used a "tough" scooter - this is power by battery, but it wasn't quite rugged enough - it was however, funded by HSE.

Advertisement