Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for companion for GSD

Options
  • 10-04-2009 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

My wife and I always wanted to get two dogs, and we agreed that one would be a GSD pup, cos I love the breed, and the other would be an older (preferably about 2 years old) rescue.

Well, we have the GSD and she's coming up to 6 months old now, and we think it's a good time to start looking for a rescue. We really don't mind what type of dog we get, but there are some requirements so we'd really appreciate people's advise.

The most important thing is that the new addition gets on with our female GSD pup. Should we be looking for a male or a female? It would also need to be a fairly high energy dog to keep up with the craziness of the pup, so that they can play and tire each other out, but at the same time we'd hope for it to be a bit more sensible and have a calming influence on the pup.

I know natures and temperments are going to be down to individual animals, especially in cross breeds, but would appreciate any general suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

What about a rescue GSD or GSD cross? In my experience most GSDs are great with other dogs and there are lots of lovely GSDs looking for a new home on www.irishanimals.com in the GSD section

Best of luck and I DEMAND a pic of your GSD pup :D AND of course the rescue when you get it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thanks for the suggestion Thalia. I'd be happy enough with that, but although my wife loves our GSD pup to pieces, she doesn't want a second one and is looking for a different breed.

Always happy to post pics :D

Sky1.jpg

040.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Ah Jesus, would you look at her, she's literally edible!!!!

Why don't you contact Gill in Celtic Animal Lifeline http://www.celticanimallifeline.com/ & have a chat with her? She's a GSD rescue but has helped so many other types of dogs, she'd be an expert in what to rehome with gsd's. There is nobody that would know more than she does & she's a truely lovely woman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thanks cotton, I'll take a look at that.

Would we be better looking for a male or female? All our pup's friend dogs and playmates are female, just by chance, and she gets on great with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Oh heavens, she is GORGEOUS! :D

I second cotton on talking to Gill at Celtic Animal Lifeline... She rescues other breeds from time to time so she may have a dog in her care that might be good match with your lady... And Gill is an excellent judge of doggy character. ;)

They always say that the best combo is male-female; female-female or male-male pairs run a higher risk of not getting along. That said there are exceptions and your girly sounds like she enjoys the company of other females just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 countesshouse

We have a male GSD and decided to get him a companion three years ago.Along came 'Holly' who is a mixed breed between a terrier and a corgi.From day one at 12 weeks old she became the boss and still is,i was a little nervous when my husband decided to introduce them straight away as my lovely G.S is adorable and a rescue as we have had him since he was 6 weeks old,but now to see them play together and he adores her and she adores him,he is so gentle with her but she is the boss. We are thrilled we got company for him,she has brought him out of himself as he is very docile.
    Your photos of your baby are adorable,she is gorgeous. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irish ozie gang

What a beautiful girl - you must adore her to bits :D:D:):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

ah she's lovely. Mines 5 months old now. Was thinking of getting another aswell. :D

Advertisement