Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this board obssessed with Marathons?

• 10-04-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Folks

Pretty new around here and I am amazed at the amount of threads dealing with marathon running when compared with other types of running.
    There's almost nothing posted about 5k, 10k, half marathon etc.
    As an outsider looking in on this community it seems that nothing else matters.
    Its very daunting for a newbie (to be honest I haven't the slightest inclination to do a marathon and think that ye are all nuts:D.)

I suppose I'm just wondering if this puts people off contributing to the site? On more than one occasion there's been nothing in any of the threads on here that I can relate to or contribute to.

WBY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Folks

Pretty new around here and I am amazed at the amount of threads dealing with marathon running when compared with other types of running.
    Its very daunting for a newbie (to be honest I haven't the slightest inclination to do a marathon and think that ye are all nuts:D.)

I suppose I'm just wondering if this puts people off contributing to the site? On more than one occasion there's been nothing in any of the threads on here that I can relate to or contribute to.

WBY

Why don't you start a thread on 5k running? I'd love that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Folks

WBY

I don't post about 5k and 10k races as I'm crap at them and everyone else makes me feel inferior. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

You may be right that most people on here are mainly marathon runners. Last weekend there were 2 big marathons on and many of the people here ran in them. Hence it may be a tad more marathon oriented than usual right now. The fact that some had disappointing runs has probably lead to more marathon related traffic than usual again. Spring = marathon season 1.

There used to be 2 threads, one for athletics and one for marathon/triathlon, but as most people used both, they were merged.

As the track season gets underway in the next few weeks there will be more shorter distance related threads and then for the Wrold Championships in September, there will be lots of threads on the specific events of that. But then come Autumn, marathon season 2, there'll be a lot on marathon again.

Many of the training principles though will be similar enough, so no need to be daunted by the marathon threads. I hate marathons!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

im only a newbie too but have been reading/posting here for months,,dont find it off putting at all ,everyone is fantastic for giving advice here,,no matter what your doing,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

You may be right that most people on here are mainly marathon runners. Last weekend there were 2 big marathons on and many of the people here ran in them. Hence it may be a tad more marathon oriented than usual right now. The fact that some had disappointing runs has probably lead to more marathon related traffic than usual again. Spring = marathon season 1.

There used to be 2 threads, one for athletics and one for marathon/triathlon, but as most people used both, they were merged.

As the track season gets underway in the next few weeks there will be more shorter distance related threads and then for the Wrold Championships in September, there will be lots of threads on the specific events of that. But then come Autumn, marathon season 2, there'll be a lot on marathon again.

Many of the training principles though will be similar enough, so no need to be daunted by the marathon threads. I hate marathons!!!

There does seem to be a "collegiate" air about the marathon runners with lots of sharing of experiences (good and bad) and training theories and plans. I have only been on here a month or so- which has as you write coincided with marathon season spring.

I suppose its just that its very hard to relate to somebody running "junk miles" when you are struggling to put in a 5k!

• Advertisement

I don't post about 5k and 10k races as I'm crap at them and everyone else makes me feel inferior. :pac:

I imagine that's slightly tongue in cheek- I consider myself crap because I'm hoping I'll be able to finish :eek:
    All depends on where you're coming from I suppose

There does seem to be a "collegiate" air about the marathon runners with lots of sharing of experiences (good and bad) and training theories and plans. I have only been on here a month or so- which has as you write coincided with marathon season spring.

I suppose its just that its very hard to relate to somebody running "junk miles" when you are struggling to put in a 5k!

We have people here who sprint to people who run crazy things like the Marathon De Sables. We all respect each other and our respective distances...no need to be put off. If you want advice, want a thread about 5ks, 10k, half marathons etc.. then start one. Starting a training log would be a good way to get conversation flowing towards the distances you like to train for aswell. You should have seen the amount of cross country stuff that was on here not long back. The types of threads change depending on the time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I tried to tell 'em ;)

I understand the obsessiveness though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I suppose if you think about it it makes sense. 12,000+ people are doing the Dublin this year. You don't get them figures doing 10k week in week out with the exception of the well marketed runs like the Great Ireland Run.

I suppose if you think about it it makes sense. 12,000+ people are doing the Dublin this year. You don't get them figures doing 10k week in week out with the exception of the well marketed runs like the Great Ireland Run.

You're probably right but its an interesting phenomenon. Sort of like if swimmers were obsessed with swimming one specific type of long distance race....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

There was at least 2 10K threads here last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would it be worthwhile starting a beginners/shorter distances thread?

Would it be worthwhile starting a beginners/shorter distances thread?

You know it probably would be a great asset to the board and to a lot of people-
    I assuming that running is a lot like everything else and that people take a mad run (excuse the pun) at it for a short while at the beginning. They are motivated and want to get fit/lose weight. After a while it becomes harder to get motivated and lots of people probably drop out.
    Its hard for a beginner to keep going and there are probably nuggets of advice and wisdom in the heads of all the folks on here that could help us newbies to keep slogging away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ironically, this is another thread with the word marathon in the title, that will stay on the first page for a few more days. :)
    I'm running a 22.2km race tomorrow. if that helps? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Some of it depends on the week or month. Near a big championship, there's lots of talk of elite/professional athletes' chances/performances. It seems spring and autumn are peak marathon times and there would be several posters running certain well-known races but through the winter people were doing XC or discussing clothes and safety gear for running in the cold/rain/wet. But last week there were complaints that every 5k/4M/5M/10k/etc around the country was getting its own thread and crowding out the training talk, this week there's been some great marathon discussion (probably spurred on by the reports from Paris/Rotterdam). Also, a lot of the runners that do/have done marathons also run shorter races and probably more of them, but their focus for at least several months is their marathon so they're more likely to get involved in a discussion on a 26mile race.

And like it or not, for any runner the marathon is out there as a goal. Someone who doesn't do any sport could imagine themselves shuffling round the local park, but will see a marathon as a significant step achievement in its own right. Many who take up running take their first target as a marathon and come here for advice/support (and are usually advised to run a 5M/10k race). I imagine people taking up running with a goal of running shorter distances faster are more likely to have come to running through a school/athletics club/other sport and have a support group through that. Marathon running/training can be quite solitary and the community aspect of internet boards may just offer more to a long-distance runner.

And don't discount the fact that in time you might fall into this addiction too. I didn't start running to run a marathon and didn't imagine running more than a few miles regularly. Did a race, then a longer race, then a longer one and entered a marathon a year later just because it was there as a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Best advice on how to keep yourself motivated is to join a club.
    There are lots of Fit 4 Life / Meet & Train groups out there being organised by clubs.

I spent the last two years doing a couple of months sporadic training to run the annual Galway 5k series. I would get a bit fitter, but then tail off with training & maybe do the odd 8k or 10k.
    My training runs were only ok, not long enough and also far more difficult to keep a pace when running on your own.

This year, I decided to go along to the Fit 4 Life group of my local club, signed up as a member & have found it much easier to keep up the training, and from far earlier in the year too. The result is that I've met a good bunch of people, training in a group is far easier, and the training runs are better quality and at a good pace to keep me improving.
    Everyone is very encouraging, and when it comes to the races, you've got a bunch of friends to discuss times, the nasty hills etc with.

There's a group for whatever pace you are at, so you don't need to feel intimidated. You can also get info on what local races are coming up and set those as goals for the year.
    I've got a few things lined up, 5k series, a number of 10ks, Streets of Galway 8k and next week my first track mile, which should be fun to get an idea of my time at that legendary distance.

I'm not a marathon runner either - but I do think that in a few years I might take up the challenge. For now I'll stick to 5/8/10k and next year maybe progress to 10mile or 1/2 marathon.

So we're not all marathon nuts, but it is the season, so be prepared to put up with the talk for a while. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

spose alot of has to do with - its usually the build up of 6 months or more to peak for one race and it helps to feel the pain of others as u progress. with a 10km the peak factor probably happens alot more often. but ya bring it on 5km 10km half mara we'll talk about anything. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Folks

Probably due to the forum history. It used to be called the "Marathon/Triathlon" forum until not too long ago when it was merged with the Athletics forum. I'm sure that will change with time as people find the new forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm not a marathon runner either - but I do think that in a few years I might take up the challenge. For now I'll stick to 5/8/10k and next year maybe progress to 10mile or 1/2 marathon.

I think many of us marathoners started out like yourself and through the addictive nature of running kept going to reach the landmark distance of a marathon. I thhink it's logical that the longterm contributors are the folks who put in most training, i.e. for marathons. therefore there's more of a focus on that.

Having said that, I was hoping to get another 10km race over the next couple of weeks but was disappointed to find that they are thin on the ground throughout April...well relative to Dublin anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

It's basically a users forum. Whether your thing is track, road, xcountry, marathons, ultra, trail or adventure you can be pretty sure someone here has advice to give and the interest in helping to give it. I think the forum is at it's best for newbies, it's very rare for a question to go unanswered and beginners logs are always supported. It's also good for helping people try new disciplines like xcountry or hill running, all you need to do is show interest. It would be good to see more non endurance training logs started, they tend to be starter, marathon or tri focused. The few that are there are well supported with comment and advice freely given ( as HYPE and his daily quest for a 5k PB will testify!). So I think the way to create more balance is to possibly be more proactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Maybe this board should be split? One for athletics and one for marathons, and maybe triathlon? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭makker

Folks

WBY

Triathlon season is approaching quickly so i'd imagine for the most part people will be competing in sprint and olympic so should be increased threads on 5k\10k

tunney wrote: »
    Maybe this board should be split? One for athletics and one for marathons, and maybe triathlon? :)

Hmmm...what an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

yes :D

I`m totally obsessed with Marathons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I ran a road marathon once, I don't think I ever want to do one again...

although if anyone wants to talk about track / middle distance training - I'm all ears :) - Tunney and RacingFlat (to name 2 that spring to mind), i followed your thoughts on heart rate / lactic training with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I suppose I'm just wondering if this puts people off contributing to the site? On

Hopefully not. I find this forum to be very welcoming and everybody is respected as to whether there ran 10km in 1h10min, 13miles in 2h15, 26miles in 3h or 26miles in 5h. We simply all share the same passion and like challenges.
    The virtual club "Boards AC" is an all inclusive club, and reflects perfectly the mentality of posters on boards.ie.
    Welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I find the effort of a 5k to be much harder than a marathon. I (like most non-natural runners) started to run to keep fit and the marathon is like the highest mountain in the range so you eventually (after a few years) have a go off of it - just to see if you can do it.

As a result of this I found that I am constantly chasing a place where I feel I can do my internal self some justice at this endeavour. I think it comes back to the idea that in life you should try to do your ordinary best at that which you choose to do.

that and marathons evoke a kind of nervous tension in you that forces you to chatter (on boards!)

5k, 4 mile, 10k and other races are just as important if you are a runner and not a marathoner (which I think I am - I run about 2000 miles a year and only about 52 of them are marathons!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

tunney wrote: »

:D

I think what you need to realise is that the majority of people here didnt put on a pair of runners and just go out and run a 3 hour marathon. Most people struggled when they started.

I admit when I started, struggling to string together three 11 minute miles, I found all the talk of fast marathons on here a bit disheartening but I realise now that was down to my attitude and not the forum. Its a running forum and people are going to discuss their running and a lot of people here have been running a while.

One thing you will find though is that everybody here is welcoming of beginners, there is never any snobbery or condescension and everybody, wheter they take 20 minutes to run a mile or under three hours to run a marathon, is willing to help out and offer advice.

I do agree though I would like to see more discussion of shorter distances like the mile/3k/5k.....but Im sure we'll get a few more threads during the summer:cool:

Advertisement