Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock 2 - Gameplay footage.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nice!

Oooo

Looks very good. I can already see it being incredibly creepy!! Silly question but I take it that this is in Rapture again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That scripted sequence underwater's very well done; for all the talk about the technology, the first game made very little use of the ocean as a threat. It looks good, though admittedly at this point I am more interested in the story than the game itself. Mostly: how can Rapture still be in one piece & that
    Tennenbaum is still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

pixelburp wrote: »
    That scripted sequence underwater's very well done; for all the talk about the technology, the first game made very little use of the ocean as a threat. It looks good, though admittedly at this point I am more interested in the story than the game itself. Mostly: how can Rapture still be in one piece & that
    Tennenbaum is still alive?

Possibly a prequel? Looks like you'll be playing as a Big Daddy though, and
    don't you finish up the first game as a Big Daddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its a sequel to Bioshock:

Summary: You're a Big Daddy, and you get to use the drill and rivet gun. And you can use plasmids too. You can take little sisters from other Big Daddies and take them around Rapture to collect ADAM like you see happening in BioShock 1.

It's 10 years since the first game. The Big Sister returns to rapture, bringing back the Little Sisters with her. You play as the original Big Daddy. You can use the drill, the rivet gun, and you can still use plasmids.

Little Sisters have been given a new look to be less creepy, as you're seeing them from the eyes of their protectors. You don't get your own Little Sister from the start, as you're a renegade Big Daddy. So you fight other Big Daddies to get your own sister. You can still harvest them, but the other option has been changed to "adopt" instead of rescue. If you adopt the sister, she'll ride on your shoulders, and you can go around Rapture looking for corpses for her to collect ADAM from. When your sister goes to harvest ADAM, a wave of Splicers will come and start attacking to try and harvest her. You have to hold them off until she finishes harvesting. You gain some ADAM from this, but not enough to tide you through the game. You can permanently rescue them, but the article doesn't say how.

The Big Sister is one of the surviving little sisters from the last game. She's the new ruler of Rapture, and is the main antagonist of the game. With each Big Daddy you kill, the game lets you know how close you are to incurring the wrath of the Big Sister. When you do, the little sister you're with will sing a song about how the Big Sister doesn't want you playing with her, then you get jumped.

The Big Daddy drill takes the place of the wrench. Can spin, but overheats so you can't run it constantly. You can do the Big Daddy charging shoulder bash. You can heal your hacked turrets/camera bots. Incinerate upgrades let you throw fireballs and shoot a stream of fire. Cyclone trap can be hit with incinerate and become a flaming cyclone trap. Upgrade trees are more diverse to give you more unique options.

It says they'll think twice about attacking you on their own, but if they're in groups they'll tear your **** up.

More info on big sister: "The Big Sister will always be a desperate, desperate fight...She can find you wherever you are, so you have to prepare for the fact that the hardest thing in the game is on the scent."

She's fast, stabs you with her ADAM needle, then uses TK to suck in all the stuff in the room as a shield, then launches it at you.

We get to see how ADAM gets extracted from Little Sisters for distribution.

You walk around on the sea floor outside of Rapture

Addendum: Vita Chambers aren't back in the same way as they were in the first game, but the same mechanic exists. Can be turned off.

Game is supposed to be scarier than BioShock 1.

Other info:There is confirmed multiplayer (no details), audio logs are back, and Fontaine Futuristics is a level in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

good idea to let you turn off the vita chambers. That feature dampened any excitement in the original game. Hope they get rid of the tedious minigames too. Finally I hope that they are more thoughtful about the levelling so your character can't become grossly overpowered halfway in.
    the bufffed freeze plasmid and the melee upgrades made the gameplay too easy and repetitive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Vita Chambers were one of the two elements that totally ruined the first game for me. It and respawning enemies. It was bad enough that the whole threat of the Big Daddies was rendered null and void by the Vita chamber, but the fact that previously cleared areas would refill with Splicers just annoyed the snot out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I like the look of it
    I especially like the idea of using plasmids and weapons at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Looks good. Apparently you play as the 'first' Big Daddy and it's set something like 10 years after the first game.

I never understood all of the complaints about the vita chamber especially from PC gamers. Most PC gamers use the quick save functionality constantly, which is pretty much the same thing. In fact I've often seen complaints about games that don't include a quick save function.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no.
    i love bioshock and from that post it seems cheapened and a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I never understood all of the complaints about the vita chamber especially from PC gamers. Most PC gamers use the quick save functionality constantly, which is pretty much the same thing. In fact I've often seen complaints about games that don't include a quick save function.

difference would be a quick save doesnt allow you to die but the damage you have done to remain.

So going out hitting big daddy with wrench, taking the hit and then going out and doing it again will ultimately result in the player killing the big daddy with a wrench without any power ups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think i'll stick to the original system shock 2 :pac:

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    difference would be a quick save doesnt allow you to die but the damage you have done to remain.

Quicksaving during a boss fight is pretty much the same. Sure, you lose any damage you did between saves but if you save enough, the loss isn't really noticeable. I only finished Crysis on Friday and used quicksave this way to finish off the last boss.

Shoot off the turrets -> Save
    Destroy Cannons -> save
    Shoot the nuke into the hatch -> save
    Game over

think i'll stick to the original system shock 2 :pac:

Speaking of this. Is it possible to get system shock 2 at a reasonable price? Any time I've found it on an online store they bumped the price up because it's a 'rare' title.

Quicksaving during a boss fight is pretty much the same. Sure, you lose any damage you did between saves but if you save enough, the loss isn't really noticeable. I only finished Crysis on Friday and used quicksave this way to finish off the last boss.

Shoot off the turrets -> Save
    Destroy Cannons -> save
    Shoot the nuke into the hatch -> save
    Game over
    I disagree as the Vita Chamber nullified the very threat of the Big Daddies in the first place. They were supposed to be the big decision a player made, in fact a huge gameplay component overall - do you or don't you tackle the Big Daddy in the level - but in the end it didn't matter as you could deal damage, die, and then go back & continue the process until the Big D. be dead. There was no punishment, no loss of adam, ammo or anything.

Conversely, with quick saves or just the regular kind, the process has to be re-made from the start. Sure you can be the type of player that quick-saves after every encounter with an enemy, so the effect is the same, but that decision is player-made & doesn't reward you for being careless. The Vita Chambers do. I'd call them another concession to the idiot-console-gamer market, but System Shock 2 had them too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

but the vita chambers in ss2 cost resources to use if I remember? You had to find them and activate them for each level at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

Can't wait to play this. It looks great, love the underwater section.

I am a fan of the vita chambers. They take some of the frustration out of the game as there is nothing worse then having to restart over and over. It's be a good idea though if they were harder to find and activate, that'd add a challenge.

The Vita chambers were the only parts I disliked about Bioshock. Once you realised that there is no punishment for dying, then it lost its edge somewhat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I never played it enough to find the Vita Chambers annoying. The gameplay did that first.
    It just felt like Doom3 with a lick of Art Deco paint. That said I would like to give it another shot. Perhaps on the PC instead...

Advertisement