Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking torrents in eircom?

Options
  • 10-04-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to do it?

My flatmate won't stop using them and our net is constantly running slow as a result.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

http://192.168.1.254/securityRES.htm - Set the Firewall to Medium.

http://192.168.1.254/natRES.htm - Disable or Remove any ports that are already open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Then change the password to access the router, so the flatmate can't re-open the ports. That's about as much as you can do.

If he's any way tech savvy, he may be able to get around this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

That's the problem with the Netopia's, I've never seen a password blocked one - them two links I provider are on the LHS when you login to the router (Firewall & Custom Services).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So I trigger ports 6500 - 7000 with trigger port 6881? Does that sound right? And then I just disable NAT?

Hmm, whatever I'm doing isn't working because it disables the entire internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Cina wrote: »
    Is there any way to do it?

My flatmate won't stop using them and our net is constantly running slow as a result.

Could you not just talk to your flatmate?

Alternately you could set up an access list, by adding the mac addresses of all the machines you want to be able to access the network, I wouldn't advise it as it's a bit harsh, but at least it's not as obvious as changing a password or putting one on!

jasonorr wrote: »

Alternately you could set up an access list, by adding the mac addresses of all the machines you want to be able to access the network, I wouldn't advise it as it's a bit harsh, but at least it's not as obvious as changing a password or putting one on!

He has no idea how to access the router so that wouldn't be a problem. I only really need something that disables the torrents whenever I want to use it, which is only an hour or 2 a day anyway, so he'd probably not even notice.

He has no idea how to access the router so that wouldn't be a problem. I only really need something that disables the torrents whenever I want to use it, which is only an hour or 2 a day anyway, so he'd probably not even notice.

Cool, well you could set up an access list for those times then and remove it when your finished and let him download away!

Cool, well you could set up an access list for those times then and remove it when your finished and let him download away!

That sounds excessive, if I could figure out to disable the ports on the NAT like the guys were saying above then that would be a lot better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Most torrent apps have a "scheduler" built in to throttle the torrents between certain hours. For example in BitTorrent, it's under Options/Preferences/Scheduler

If you have a set few hours every day that you use the internet (say 6-8pm or whatever), just ask him to set the scheduler to "off" during those hours, and maybe limited between 3-10pm on a Saturday and Sunday. It's very simple to do, only has to be done once, and he can leave his torrents going all the time, but the bandwidth usage will be throttled during the hours you specify. He then doesn't have to worry about switching it on and off manually. I'd suggest coming to an agreement that from midnight to 5pm it's unlimited, 5pm to midnight it's limited, with the exception of your two hours in the evening when it's off.

• Advertisement

That sounds excessive, if I could figure out to disable the ports on the NAT like the guys were saying above then that would be a lot better!!!

It is, but that's exactly what going behind his back rather than reasoning with him is!

Who's your ISP and what's your bandwidth anyway?

It is, but that's exactly what going behind his back rather than reasoning with him is!

Believe me, I've tried reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Eircom will send you a letter, and after 3 attempts, they'll cut you off.

Or has this been over-turned by a higher legal authority?

T-Square wrote: »
    Eircom will send you a letter, and after 3 attempts, they'll cut you off.

Or has this been over-turned by a higher legal authority?

I've heard about this, for using torrents isn't it? We haven't gotten a letter anyway, maybe that'll get him to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

You can also try playing with QoS

Another solution is get a router that's capable of traffic shapping. If he is the only one connecting through wireless then you can use bandwidth management and reduce the total bandwidth (not sure if is available through gui on the netopias, Zyxel's use to have that option).

There are other ways around but check these first

Is RapidShare an option? Paying a small subscription every year, for very fast download speeds which would mean that he would be online for a smaller amount of time!

Is RapidShare an option? Paying a small subscription every year, for very fast download speeds which would mean that he would be online for a smaller amount of time!

Well it's what I use, but he won't. Mainly cause he's a cheap C U Next Tuesday. It's the uploading that really causes the problems, slows down browsing loads.

Well it's what I use, but he won't. Mainly cause he's a cheap C U Next Tuesday. It's the uploading that really causes the problems, slows down browsing loads.

He really sounds like a pain in the áss, I was reluctant to pay too until I saw just how good it was...maybe you could show him? Get him to name something he wants downloaded, you go first and time it and then time him? If that fails, I just don't know!

There's also an option to block ports on your router, you just need to find out what port he's using for torrents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

If you get a router with the advanced firmware called DD-WRT you can use Quality of Service options and limit the bandwith that a client is allowed, so if you have a 3 mbit connection you could limit any clients to any speed (eg 1 mbit so then you have 2mbit's for you).

• Advertisement
Advertisement