Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boards league table measuring performance improvement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Yup I'll give this a go tomorrow. Im still slowly trying to go from walk/runs to running so my 12minutes will be alot of walking and a bit of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Based on those that provided details so far the composition looks like....

Boards_Cooper_Test_Sex_Profile.bmp

Boards_Cooper_Test_Age_Profile.bmp
    Could do with some more male interest to level things up a bit.....and no representation from the 50+ brigade? Can people that age run for 12 minutes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

Hi Le Chile,
    Count me in, PM sent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll have a bash at this, but will not be for several days until I can get it done. I'll have to have a think about where to do this as well yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I will also do this but need to get a time and a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'll try and get something done this weekend too...

Bally8 wrote: »
    Yup I'll give this a go tomorrow. Im still slowly trying to go from walk/runs to running so my 12minutes will be alot of walking and a bit of running.
    Well done Bally8 - it will be no time at all before you'll be running and increasing the pace. Its a great place to be starting from and you will see improvement very quickly. I look forward to seeing you up towards the top of the table after the first re test.

robinph wrote: »
    I'll have a bash at this, but will not be for several days until I can get it done. I'll have to have a think about where to do this as well yet.
    stmochtas wrote: »
    I will also do this but need to get a time and a place.
    christeb wrote: »
    I'll try and get something done this weekend too...

That's great - PM me your Age Category and whether M/F so that I can record and build up the table.

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Fair play to you for doing this. PM'ing you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

i'll do the same over the weekend and I'll try to do as much running as I can in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So I did my 12 minutes on the treadmill today. Delighted with myself as I managed to do more jogging than walking. The Cooper site says Im bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Just Pm'd my details too...
    This sounds like fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!

littlebug wrote: »
    i'll do the same over the weekend and I'll try to do as much running as I can in there.
    Remember littlebug - you are establishing a baseline. You will be listed the same as everyone else with a result of '100' - you then have the straightforward task of making that number higher than 100 when we retest. Believe me if you are starting now not running for the full 12 minutes, you definitely will the next time we test.

Go for it!

So I did my 12 minutes on the treadmill today. Delighted with myself as I managed to do more jogging than walking. The Cooper site says Im bad:D
    Bally8 - there is nothing 'Bad' about commiting yourself testing yourself with the expressed intention of improvement! I personally dont like the categories listed - so lets change the titles on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff lecheile,
    I'll make this my speedwork session on Tuesday and see how it goes,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

This sounds like fun and should be an interesting way of tracking my progress... It'll be about a week before I can get the session in though, gotta get this half marathon out of the way first!! Will PM you now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 redcloud

Hi lecheile, woundedknee just tested me on the treadmill this evening, pm you the results now, thanks in advance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd have expected there to have been more different levels in their rating system though. Maybe we should add a few more levels, and not call them "very bad" -> "very good" as otherwise there might not be much movement between the levels. 200m is quite a distance to cover and even if you had a certain Mr Bolt doing the last half a lap for you to cover that much further within the 12 minutes is not a target that anyone would be able to improve on realistically.

It's going to be in the 10's of meters that people improve by between testings, not 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

As an FYI the club i'm involved with (Bray Runners) are have a 3k time trial on Tuesday evening at the Charlesland track @ 6:15pm - anyone here is welcome to come along if you're in the Sth Dub, Nth Wick area.
    Just ask for me Dominic from about 5:30pm.
    You could extrapolate up or down for your 12mins and we will have another on at the end of June.

• Advertisement

redcloud wrote: »
    Hi lecheile, woundedknee just tested me on the treadmill this evening, pm you the results now, thanks in advance
    Well done redcloud. Its always a good idea to have someone else there with the clock and I presume some encouragement. Be sure and make sure that woundedKnee submits his details and time also - encouragement is a two way street!

robinph wrote: »
    I'd have expected there to have been more different levels in their rating system though. Maybe we should add a few more levels, and not call them "very bad" -> "very good" as otherwise there might not be much movement between the levels. 200m is quite a distance to cover and even if you had a certain Mr Bolt doing the last half a lap for you to cover that much further within the 12 minutes is not a target that anyone would be able to improve on realistically.

It's going to be in the 10's of meters that people improve by between testings, not 200m.
    Hi robinph - thanks for the suggestion. I will post our category titles this evening and will also make available an individual tracker spreadsheet. I welcome your feedback on that as a means of tracking actual progress (even though it may not lead to frequent category improvement). I presume there was a lot of science went into the classifications so best not to tinker too much with it. That said, if others think we can do something that provides a better motivation - please suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

If you mess around with the levels it's no longer a Cooper test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

From this day forth we shall call it the lecheile test :D

Thanks woundedknee - I do take robinph's point about showing progress but I believe that we can do that within each level as well as progressing between levels. For starters let's create names more appropriate to our purpose (which is to try and motivate all levels to progress!) how about the following mapping of Cooper Categories to 'Boards' Categories

Cooper => Boards
    Very Bad => Below Average
    Bad => Average
    Average => Good
    Good => Very Good
    Very Good => Excellent

Bearing in mind that these categories are desigend to cover the full range of abilities. Is it ok to be classed as 'Below Average' if you are starting out when you are being compared to serious athletes at the other end of the scale?

Woddle wrote: »
    From this day forth we shall call it the lecheile test :D

Woddle - you cant even begin to imagine the levels of authorisation I would need to go through in the club to have such a move approved :D

Back to the drawing board ;)

Attached is a spreadsheet that will allow you to track your individual performance and the effort required to get to the next level. I'd appreciate is one or two of you have a play with it to make sure that it works (testing on this side limited ;)). Any suggestions as to corrections, enhancments or developments will all be considered. Anyone who knows about excel and would like to enhance it - please feel free to volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Hi guys, just sent through my data, excellent idea and great way of getting speed work in too! Look forward till next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

lecheile wrote: »
    Attached is a spreadsheet that will allow you to track your individual performance and the effort required to get to the next level. I'd appreciate is one or two of you have a play with it to make sure that it works (testing on this side limited ;)). Any suggestions as to corrections, enhancments or developments will all be considered. Anyone who knows about excel and would like to enhance it - please feel free to volunteer.
    Works fine in Open office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

works fine for me too :)

Advertisement