Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boards league table measuring performance improvement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

this is a great idea....gonna give it a lash later on and see how i go!!
    spreadsheet works like a charm by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I'll give this a shot this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Lecheile,

Great idea and tks for putting the effort in for our benefit. PM sent.

Geld

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

The following have provided details and baseline distance.

Boards_baseline.bmp

There are many more on the list for whom I am waiting baseline distance. If you want to get involved PM me details (M/F and age) and if you have already done so, PM me the distance once completed. I'll give is another few days and then I'll publish details of the % of participants in each category.

Let the improvement begin!

PS - complete shift in interest (Male 71% - Female 29%) Still have not found a 50+ participant and the 30-39 age group represent 54% of those having expressed interest.

PPS - if anyone knows of an easy way of copying and pasting into a post can they please let me know - a pain to create an image file, load to web address and then insert from there (which is what I am currently doing...Ahhhhhh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

lecheile wrote: »
    The following have provided details and baseline distance.
    I sent mine :confused: i'll re-send.
    This is great lecheile... and I think i've already improved since the baseline that I sent/ didn't send you :p

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    I sent mine :confused: i'll re-send.
    This is great lecheile... and I think i've already improved since the baseline that I sent/ didn't send you :p
    Mea Culpa littlebug - your original detail was lost in the end of day closing process routine and was not picked up with the evening shift took over the data input operation (ie I missed it!) sorry!

Well done on the improvement, try and contain yourself until the next test.

Anyone willing to lay money on littlebug appearing at the top of the table after next test?

Boards_baseline1.bmp

As you can see there is a good spread of abilities contained in those who have declared so far. Given that we are trying to motivate people to improve and advance into the next category. May I suggest that anyone that has baselined as 'Excellent' (and you know who you are!!) that we change your age category to 'Experienced Athlete' as least then you will have a level or two improvement to try and achieve.

Thoughts?

stmochtas, papamike, and sharktale baselined and added.

Will issue a final initial baseline table after the weekend so if you can get details to me before then, please do.

Ladies still greatly under-represented which I dont believe reflects participation in Boards.

All those on the list have already started working on improvements for next the test.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

am i too late for this?cant do it till mon tho,,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

As you can see there is a good spread of abilities contained in those who have declared so far. Given that we are trying to motivate people to improve and advance into the next category. May I suggest that anyone that has baselined as 'Excellent' (and you know who you are!!) that we change your age category to 'Experienced Athlete' as least then you will have a level or two improvement to try and achieve.

Thoughts?

Maybe + 5% and + 10%.
    So baseline is lets say 3000m; E1 = 3150 and E2 = 3300 - just a thought.

• Advertisement

tantipie wrote: »
    am i too late for this?cant do it till mon tho,,
    No tantipie - send on details now (M/F and age cat) and result when you complete the test. If there is interest, people can join at any stage, and the baseline will be set at time of first test.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Maybe + 5% and + 10%.
    So baseline is lets say 3000m; E1 = 3150 and E2 = 3300 - just a thought.
    Good suggestion BeepBeep. I think we'll only get a sense of what we are dealing with when we see the results of the retest. The important thing at this stage is that we get people recording their basline as dilligently as you ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'll send you mine now

Woddle wrote: »
    I'll send you mine now
    Thanks Woddle, excitementcity, keyto08 and robinph who are now all on the list.

If anyone else plans to include a baseline in the next week send me on the details. If there are people considering completing the test but are not in a position to do so at the moment, send me on your details (as a committment that you are going to do something!!) and we can baseline you when we are doing retest no 1 for those on the table now.

Remember its all about relative improvement. The slower you are to start, the better chance you have of improvement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Remember its all about relative improvement. The slower you are to start, the better chance you have of improvement.
    I knew I should have walked backwards for 12 minutes instead. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Im going to kick my own ass in a few weeks time! Bring it on.

Well done Bally8 - That's the spirit. I expect to see it reflected in next test results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

sent you on my details....test was on friday though so ill be out to beat that during the week......

well done to keyto08, mdlb, showry, tantipie and xebec - who have been added / baselined.

I'll produce updated chart tomorrow.

Here is the first published list of members baselined, this represents the group of people who since the first test was completed have been working hard on improving speed and stamina for the next baseline. It makes sense to leave about 6 weeks between tests so that you have some chance of seeing an improvement. Those who completed the test early on in the process will be ready to retest from the middle of may and those just completed should leave it until the end of the month. Anyone who wants to be included in the next baseline, send on details and complete the test.

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, roll on the next set of results so we can see who improves the most ;)

0904_Boards_Cooper_Index.bmp

If you have sent on a test result and I have not listed your name please send a reminder of the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Going to do the 3k in the trinity track next week as the retest.

Cons:
    • I'll be stepping off a plane after 4 days working abroad.
    • Grass track
    Pros:
    • Competiveness
    • Race adrenaline
    Lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Hope I'm not missing something obvious here, but how do we gauge progress from this chart if already baselined at 100? I know that individually we can monitor our own distance improvements (or lack of!) but from a public group perspective, how do we compare performances? If I improve my distance for the next test, will I not still score 100??

Bobby04 wrote: »
    Hope I'm not missing something obvious here, but how do we gauge progress from this chart if already baselined at 100? I know that individually we can monitor our own distance improvements (or lack of!) but from a public group perspective, how do we compare performances? If I improve my distance for the next test, will I not still score 100??
    Bobby04 - the primary purpose of the league table is to measure relative rather than absolute performance improvement. The first test that everyone takes sets the baseline at 100 all subsequent test results will be published in terms of change from that baseline.

To take an example. If in your first test you achieve a result of 2500 meters and your running buddy achieves 2750, you will both be listed with a baseline of 100. For the next test you get a result of 2700 and your buddy 2950. Both have achieved an absolute improvement of 200m, but the results will be presented as

Bobby04 - 100 - 108
    BobbyBuddy - 100 - 107

Although both had the same actual (absolute) improvement - you had the better relative performance. The use of relative performance makes it more about the actual improvement and likely to keep the interest for all levels and not just those with the high actual scores (who are at a distinct disadvantage - try squeezing another 50m out of a 3000+m baseline ;) )

I hope this makes sense and people bear with it until we see the next round and leader board emerge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Okay! I'm in!

It was a little windy when I did my test but I did it on a 400m grass track so I suppose I had the wind at my back for as much time as I was running into it.

I know it's late but hopefully you can add me to the list LeCheile.

PM sent.

Okay! I'm in!

It was a little windy when I did my test but I did it on a 400m grass track so I suppose I had the wind at my back for as much time as I was running into it.

I know it's late but hopefully you can add me to the list LeCheile.

PM sent.
    thanks GoHard - details received. Will list you as a May baseline to give you time to improve for your next measurement.

who is the first to submit retest result and an improvement on last result :).

Time to get the watches out again, there is a test to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

who is the first to submit retest result and an improvement on last result :).

Time to get the watches out again, there is a test to be completed.

PM sent with my latest attempt :rolleyes:

PM sent with my latest attempt :rolleyes:

Well done Munster_Gal - at least you are now in with a shot at winning the prize for this month's improvement.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

I was wondering when this would come around....

Suppose it is time submit something!

Should we fix the date for subsequent submissions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Munster_Gal - at least you are now in with a shot at winning the prize for this month's improvement.;)

Ooooohhhhh A prize... I might redo my retest and run til my legs fall off lol :D

Advertisement