Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden, double glazed windows letting rain in

Options
  • 10-04-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

My house has 4yr old wooden double glazed windows. House is on top of hill and very exposed to wind & rain. On some of the windows, rain is getting in. It would appear to be coming in under the pane of glass ie I think it is getting down between the window and the frame, under the window and up the other side. Could I be right with this assumption? How can I go about sealing this up? Is there a particular type of sealent for this sort of problem?
    Or do I need to get a professional to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Take a pic and post it up and we can have a look @ it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Take a pic and post it up and we can have a look @ it for you

Will do but could be a week or two before I can get pics. In terms of getting the problem fixed, do you know if fitters of wooden double glazed windows generally have a repair service? Problem is I'm not sure who supplier of windows was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Ok - see pic below! Hope this is of some help and look forward to hearing your opinions. (Have some more pics if needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Bazbu wrote: »
    Will do but could be a week or two before I can get pics. In terms of getting the problem fixed, do you know if fitters of wooden double glazed windows generally have a repair service? Problem is I'm not sure who supplier of windows was

Hi Bazbu, the pictures don't tell the whole story.

A professional would need to see the windows up close in order to know what the problem is and to find a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Before you hire a pro.

Inspect the whole window. Have a look at all the gaskets and seals.

If the leak is coming from the pain . Then the seal maybe dislodged.

Buy a tube of all weather clear silicone. And a gun. 15 euro

Cut the tip very small and apply it neatly all around the offending pain of glass. very small bead. Wet your finger and carefully smear it around the seal.
    If you hit the glass. leave it till the next day and pick off the silicone when dry.

If a rubber seal has come off. Wet the back of it with silicone and pop it back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

^ and only do this when the wood has been thoroughly dried out.

Advertisement