Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think?

Options
  • 10-04-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Everyone!

Forgive me mods if I should have posted in rent I wasn`t 100% feel free to move me.

I just wanted to see if I was being reasonable this is the story -

Went to visit my partner we live in separate counties. He rents a room in a house. He normally comes home at weekends but stays the odd one. The landlord died during the year and his daughter now owns the house but was obviously happy to continue the arrangement and accept rent. She also has a room there. She cam home that Saturday and absolutely went nuts saying "what the were we doing there it was the weekend and that he`s only paying Monday to Friday and I had no right at all to visit and that she had planned friends coming to stay!!!". She got neighbours to come in to shout and threaten and they called my partner a liar and said that he was "taking advantage of this poor girl". I intervened of course and attempted to explain to the wilting violet that she was legally incorrect and it was reasonable to expect someone to have visitors twice in one year. Her neighbours insisted I was there a lot, which I can prove not as I have a prior engagement every weekend this was my second weekend off this year. She was so incredibly rude to me I am still in shock. So we had to drive 4 and a half hours home at 8 o`clock.I was actually sick I was that upset. Now this girl is saying SHE is going to make a complaint and that I was shouting at her (which admittedly I did raise my voice simply to be heard over them because they were not shutting up for one second). She was threatning also to get her uncle to sort my partner out. I am discusted and really upset. don`t know what to do. What would you do? Or has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Firstly let your partner speak for himself in future.

Secondly move out; it's a renters market out there and who in their right mind needs that drama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

TheZohan wrote: »
    Firstly let your partner speak for himself in future.

:rolleyes: Did you even read the post?

I'd move out asap! And she could sing for notice or any other little payments that might be due, electricity or that. FUNK right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EllieP

That's disgraceful, write a comprehensive description of events, back it up with evidence of your whereabouts on previous weekends etc. Has your oh a copy of his contract for this Mon to Fri lark?? That's ridiculous.

Send this letter (politely written of course) to the Landlords Association(???), haven't a clue what they would be called but you'll find it. Also if you feel the need send it to the neighbours and any colleges, universities nearby that she coould possibly rent to in future.

By any chance, do you think she hasn't registered with the proper authorities maybe to be renting??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Did you even read the post?

:rolleyes: Yes, did you? The rental agreement is between her b/f ad the landlady, she really has no say in the matter.

Like I said previously, he should move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭alegrabaroque

He`s my husband actually. And I only stepped in when he was being basicly attacked. There is only a verbal contract which was with this girls father whose died in the process of the year. She said he told her its Monday to Friday and the neighbour said she kept students and thats the score but this was not digs and he wouldn`t have signed up for no weekends knowing he would be there for about 4 or 5 it makes no sense. Besides that she was letting people sleep in the rooms I think thats against the law apart from just being wrong. This girl absolutely believes she`s right its unbelievable anyone could be that badly educated but there you have it...

And he only has 4 weeks left there so is there a point complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI, might get better advice on the laws here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If she now owns the house, and is living there, you don't have much to stand in, as regards the law, as your OH is merely there by licensee, hence the law for tenants don't extend the same rights as if he were renting a room where a landlady was not living there.

If it were me, I would move out, as regardless of whether he is there under licensee or not, he has the right to feeling he can have people stay on occasion.

If the original landlord only died this year (I am assuming you mean since January), the probate would not have yet been sorted, so perhaps speaking to the Solicitors who are dealing with that, perhaps drawing up some sort of contract etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Id move out.

the situation sounds to messy. You now know the true colors of this *cough* "lady"... you'll find plenty of landlords/landladies above board who will gladly let you a room or apartment/house.. and treat you with a lot more respect.

Advertisement